Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No patience to tank anymore

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
No patience to tank anymore

RikHar
11.28.2012 , 01:23 PM | #1
How do you respond when you're a tank leading your group and some players just won't listen to good advice and what not to do or where not to stand then wind up costing you time because they get themselves killed all the time?

I ask because, personally, I am not a patient person. I have very little tolerance for nonsense or stupidity whether in real life or in a game. Some times I'll just leave the group but then it cost' me time because now I have to regroup once again.

I have a BH tank but lately, I've not been using him. I've lost the will to be a tank in groups. He's specced all in Black Hole armor. But I'm thinking of switching armor mods to dps instead. That will take some time though since everything I have I've put into the tank spec.

I appreciate the advice
Thank You

Quantasm
11.29.2012 , 03:01 AM | #2
I usually /votekick the person who is not listening to a good advice. So u only need to replace one person, and it takes not much time to get a dps replacement since healers usually don't run around doing stupid things. Almost.

verfallen
11.29.2012 , 03:26 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Quantasm View Post
I usually /votekick the person who is not listening to a good advice. So u only need to replace one person, and it takes not much time to get a dps replacement since healers usually don't run around doing stupid things. Almost.
That. People know a tank that leaves is harder to replace (everytime I queue with my sin tank is a an instant pop since its the least played role in the game). Normally healers ain't an issue, altough some suddenly remember even thrash pulls require a heal or two in HM and not them dpsing all the time when your health hits 25% and all your cooldowns flare, but if a dps is being a DerPS, I A: let him die if he pulls too much, not taunting mobs off him

B : votekick.

Note it must be a total idiot. Because a dps trigger a theorically avoidable fight doesn't mean it needs an automatic votekick either..

Samurro
11.29.2012 , 04:16 AM | #4
You are the tank. One, if not the most, important role in a group! Make use of that.

But don't be a dick tell everybody in your team how you want to play them, just abuse your power as a tank if you see the group performance really being negatively affected.

People tend to do ****, if they see a tank which throws around advices but is hardly any good himself, just because you are a tank, you still have to do your job right or better to give advices to others.
Style > Skill > Stats

Darth Suffocation - Open World PVP

bahdasz
11.29.2012 , 01:33 PM | #5
Stop pulling aggro and let them get swarmed over and over until they take the hint.

Poeple, in general, are stupid, most only learn things the hard way these days.

oakamp
11.29.2012 , 08:23 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by RikHar View Post
How do you respond when you're a tank leading your group and some players just won't listen to good advice and what not to do or where not to stand then wind up costing you time because they get themselves killed all the time?

I ask because, personally, I am not a patient person. I have very little tolerance for nonsense or stupidity whether in real life or in a game. Some times I'll just leave the group but then it cost' me time because now I have to regroup once again.

I have a BH tank but lately, I've not been using him. I've lost the will to be a tank in groups. He's specced all in Black Hole armor. But I'm thinking of switching armor mods to dps instead. That will take some time though since everything I have I've put into the tank spec.

I appreciate the advice
Thank You
if u r a inpatient person why u play MMO?
this game is a eq clone,
the only good thing that EQ teach u science low level is mind ur own reputation,
this game will die again and again(look at 201202,201205), if u keep quit group or ignore others, there won't be any ppl to group.

now about the title,
ppl all have their own opinions, so they don't take ur advice,
they all want to entertain themselves,
even they die,
but this semi-hardcore game make bad players' mistake cause u die,
especially as a tank, u always die 1st,
that's why ppl hate group, prefer solo, because ppl often annoy others,
but BW design pre 50 can soloable , but design endgame to be a EQ clone,
that's a big wrong decision,
but on the other hand if BW teach u science low level then u probaly quit at the beginning, it is too hardcore for these generation.

ps: I have a full Campaign and Dread Guard gears tank, i only use it with ppl that i can trust, they all do their homework b4 enter an combat, even we can't speak the same language we still can finish hm ops.
Know a tank's role, it is like a paladin, if u don't like it , don't play it, that is why good tank is so few.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

Mazikeen
11.30.2012 , 08:37 AM | #7
I let them die.
If they risk the rest of the group, I whisper the healer to let them die.
If the healer refuses to listen to me and still heals the idiot, I bail.

I'm old school, and don't take that crap. If I'm tanking, you listen, period. No skipping mobs, no exploits, tank pulls. If you don't like it, leave and roll a tank. The important part of this, though, is as a tank you can never make an unreasonable demand without a logical basis behind it. If you become a tool that demands senseless things just because you're the tank, you're not worth listening to.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

verfallen
12.01.2012 , 04:24 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
I let them die.
If they risk the rest of the group, I whisper the healer to let them die.
If the healer refuses to listen to me and still heals the idiot, I bail.

I'm old school, and don't take that crap. If I'm tanking, you listen, period. No skipping mobs, no exploits, tank pulls. If you don't like it, leave and roll a tank. The important part of this, though, is as a tank you can never make an unreasonable demand without a logical basis behind it. If you become a tool that demands senseless things just because you're the tank, you're not worth listening to.

That. Exemple that comes to mind is people that want to run past bosses in BoI HM Skipping thrash, ya sure. But bosses gives some comms, and skipping them risks the healer sometimes.

If dps are not happy about it, they can f*** off and requeue, or roll a tank.

Simply, your job, in collaboration with the healer is to keep the party alive. If you judge a situation or strategy risks that, it IS your job to put the fist down and say "no".

As far as leading goes, if you go out and play "my way or the highway" just for the powertrip as you rightfully says, you are just a bad team player, but you do have a leadership job to do to coordinate the rest of the group, and pack mobs together far of cc when possible for safe AoE uses. You gotta find the balance

Taiketo
12.01.2012 , 04:29 PM | #9
Since letting someone die in any form of difficult content in this game generally means a wipe, and if the content isn't difficult enough that a DPS dying will cause a wipe, then why does it really matter what they're doing?

Jawa-Punter
12.01.2012 , 05:54 PM | #10

I appreciate the advice
Thank You
Stupid people get one warning and get replaced the second time in my groups, not that I PUG often.