Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it time to perhaps rethink the trinity system?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is it time to perhaps rethink the trinity system?

AMKSED
11.27.2012 , 09:51 PM | #21
Played GW2, not a bad game. But I never realized how much I actually enjoyed the Tank/DPS/Healer combo MMOs have.

SerowTOR
11.27.2012 , 09:51 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
A lot of people came to the same conclusion from playing TSW too.

In reality, some people say they are bored with the trinity, but when you give them an alternative... they whine and complain and demand the trinity. True story, directly from TSW.
I thought TSW is still dependent on the trinity? It just has a ton more ways to build a tank/heal/dps using their ability wheel compared to conventional talent trees. Hybrids (or do-em-alls like GW2) are only useful when solo-ing in TSW.

Selvec
11.27.2012 , 09:53 PM | #23
I dislike duel specing or anything that allows characters to effectively occupy various roles. It encourages soloing in a game type designed around group interaction and co-op.

Hambunctious
11.27.2012 , 09:56 PM | #24
I'm sure the various militaries around the world would like the trinity in RL, but it doesn't work that way in RL, and neither should it work that way here.

Saliq
11.27.2012 , 09:58 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SerowTOR View Post
I thought TSW is still dependent on the trinity? It just has a ton more ways to build a tank/heal/dps using their ability wheel compared to conventional talent trees. Hybrids (or do-em-alls like GW2) are only useful when solo-ing in TSW.
It is, the guy obviously doesn't know what he is talking about
CE Owner Member since 08
Juggernaut - Sniper - Powertech - Assassin Guardian - Commando - Vanguard - Scoundrel
―HK-47 "Advice: It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

RobbyBlazeheart
11.27.2012 , 09:58 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Selvec View Post
I dislike duel specing or anything that allows characters to effectively occupy various roles. It encourages soloing in a game type designed around group interaction and co-op.
I can understand your view on this. I think it was made for the raiders that if you needed a dps that night or a healer you could have someone switch out to either role.

Scovina
11.27.2012 , 10:02 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by MiraniSedai View Post
Caveate: I am new to this game (highest toon is 15) but one thing I have been enjoying is how many of the flashpoints and heroic quests you do NOT need a trinity for. Quite refreshing and alot of fun.
You haven't been far enough into the game. Heroics aside you will need a tank/dps/healer for most FP's. As a healer it is very taxing to not be able to focus on healing a tank and top off the dps while I heal. Especially seeing as most dps may have some def cd's but they don't get the mitigation they need to effectively tank most elite or champion mobs unless they out gear or out level the mob. Most trash you can go crazy on and even some bosses to some extent but it is much more efficient to have 1 player tank everything while the dps whittle them down.

Lord_of_Mu
11.27.2012 , 10:09 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by RobbyBlazeheart View Post
I can understand your view on this. I think it was made for the raiders that if you needed a dps that night or a healer you could have someone switch out to either role.
I honestly didn't understand his view. To me at least it seemed like dual spec was designed to provide flexibility to players and raid leaders. Mainly so raid groups wouldn't have to waste time while their multi-spec team members go back to major cities or stations to change to the role the raid needed.

kevlarto
11.27.2012 , 10:10 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Korusus View Post
I used to think the trinity was old-fashioned. Then I played GW2. Now I love the trinity.
I have heard that from quite a few people.. Don't know what you got until it's gone, reminds me of a song ..LOL
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

Claprica
11.27.2012 , 10:14 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Hambunctious View Post
I'm sure the various militaries around the world would like the trinity in RL, but it doesn't work that way in RL, and neither should it work that way here.
So many things wrong with the above post.
1) This is a computer game, you cant compare it to real life. Other wise you know, people would just do it in real life.
2) The Starwars universe is completely different to our universe.
3) If you want to play something that immitates real life, then you need to be playing either a real time strategy game or a sim, not an MMO/MMOPRG

After all FPS's are a hell of a lot more closer to real life than MMO's but I'm sure the military's would like it if you could not get fatigue from running everywhere/change clips in a second/have near unlimited ammo/carry 5 weapons and ammo all at once/have vehicles that re-spawn once destroyed etc etc.

I think the trinity system works fine for any universe where magic plays a significant role.
It's a bit more dubious in the Starwars universe, but there isn't really a better alternative out there (although I like the idea of healers being shielders of damage rather than healing per se)