Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dissident Companions

Wallner
12.17.2012 , 10:45 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by pauljc View Post
Neither Scourge nor Skadge have anything on Ashara.

Just your average Jedi, hangin' out with her Dark Council buddy. And occasionally helping him murder Jedi. But she'll never betray her teachings, no siree.

She either has Stockholm Syndrome or is legitimately, clinically insane.
Hahah yeah I've started playing an Inquisitor now. How they thought this was OK is beyond me.

The fact that you can't turn Ashara like you can Jaesa is just laughable.
Edit: But also very tragic, since this is a major drawback for me. I like the story, but Khem and Andronikus already left me wanting. Gahhh.. Again: if you're gonna stick us with companions, you gotta make a damn good reason for it, or make sure we can mold them.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Jorus (Guardian) -Zakarus (Sorcerer) -Kavin (Mercenary)

Chaloss
12.17.2012 , 02:31 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Wallner View Post
Hahah yeah I've started playing an Inquisitor now. How they thought this was OK is beyond me.

The fact that you can't turn Ashara like you can Jaesa is just laughable.
Edit: But also very tragic, since this is a major drawback for me. I like the story, but Khem and Andronikus already left me wanting. Gahhh.. Again: if you're gonna stick us with companions, you gotta make a damn good reason for it, or make sure we can mold them.
You are looking it wrong way. Ashara is useful resource, a tool to be used for DS Inquisitor. You can get Sith apprentices from Korriban, but getting Jedi is much more problematic. Also I would say keeping her loyalty requires more manipulation than turning her to DS which is one time thing.

Oh, and if you actually go through her storyline she will embrace some elements of Sith code. Also she demonstrates her usefulness there by getting certain allies, I do wish something similar had been used in Kaggath.

DarthRamette
12.17.2012 , 06:59 PM | #23
Dark Side or Light Side I have less then zero use for Skade and Broonmark with LT. Pierce coming in a close second.

Wallner
12.18.2012 , 09:23 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaloss View Post
You are looking it wrong way. Ashara is useful resource, a tool to be used for DS Inquisitor. You can get Sith apprentices from Korriban, but getting Jedi is much more problematic. Also I would say keeping her loyalty requires more manipulation than turning her to DS which is one time thing.

Oh, and if you actually go through her storyline she will embrace some elements of Sith code. Also she demonstrates her usefulness there by getting certain allies, I do wish something similar had been used in Kaggath.

Well, that's one scenario, I guess you could choose to take her along with the aim not being to make her your apprentice, but instead tolerating her jedi ways while you were exploiting her skills andconnections.

But in the scene where you get Ashara, I specifically said that I would spare her if she agreed to become my apprentice. If I knew her character wouldn't be malleable, I wouldn't have brought her along, I would have killed her since she's a jedi.

I mean even the SW could turn Jaesa, and in the SI class bio it says "Due to their manipulative genius, Inquisitors are skilled at exploiting both their enemies and their allies to further their own personal agendas."
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Jorus (Guardian) -Zakarus (Sorcerer) -Kavin (Mercenary)

_Darkstar
12.18.2012 , 10:17 AM | #25
I mean even the SW could turn Jaesa, and in the SI class bio it says "Due to their manipulative genius, Inquisitors are skilled at exploiting both their enemies and their allies to further their own personal agendas."
My GF just went though the turning Jaesa storyline last night and now I have seen it, it isn't all that epic. Jaesa is a very fresh and impressionable jedi and she didn't really need much convincing to turn because she was never really convinced about the jedi in the first place.

Ashara is a true Jedi, so assuming they eventually do carry on the stories I can see us needing a lot of proper manipulation to turn her. But it better be a good story, and it better be in the next chapter (Whenever that may be).
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

SentinelDranoel
12.19.2012 , 03:02 PM | #26
I started playing again on my Jedi Knight one or two weeks ago. And I was thinking about why Lord Scourge was still hanging around. I don't really remember if he gave me a reason for staying with me after I killed the emperor, can anyone remind me?

But then I also started thinking about how dull it is that you get stuck with companions that totally disagree with your character's behavior and opinions on most topics, and you can't leave them nor affect their personality. Why? If you have to make us stick with these companions at least make us able to affect their morality, like in Kotor.

Why would Scourge stick around when he completely disagree's with everything I do? Why can't I, as a light side Jedi, kick him out (or even capture him, he's a sith for crying out loud) ? And why can't I reprogram HK-51 to be less interested in "deleting" people, and more interested in protecting people?

Gah, well I had to vent somewhere. But I guess my point is, if we have to be stuck with these predetermined companions, at least make us able to affect their personality/morality. Maybe with conversations, actions, or in the case of droids reprogramming.
i honestly think he is waiting to be killed by my Sith Warrior for betraying the Emperor.
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic anyday

errant_knight
12.19.2012 , 07:17 PM | #27
Scourge really doesn't have anywhere else to be. He aided a jedi in killing the emperor (as far as they know) and would be entirely unwelcome in imperial space. He had really good reasons, but even if he had an opportunity to explain them to the dark council, he probably wouldn't be believed. He can't exact wander around freely in republic space, either.

As to him disapproving of you, that's not always the case. My jedi was lightside (light 4, I believe) but pragmatic and driven to win the war. Scourge approved of him highly. He was maxed before Kira. Not only did he enjoy trying to to show my jedi the value of the darkside, but I think he liked him. They worked very well together. Not only that, but when properly outfitted, he's awesome. I never use any of the other companions anymore.

Personally, I enjoy having companions who have their own opinions. It's much more interesting than a bunch of 'yes' men.
Admittedly, I prefer it when they're interesting adults like Scourge than spoiled brats like Ashara or as malleable as Jaesa.

JLazarillo
12.21.2012 , 02:30 PM | #28
Having just finished Balmorra with my Vanguard, I'm a little surprised to not see Tanno Vik's name popping up in this topic as of yet. I know Havoc Squad only accepts "the best", but really, if "the best" is a freaking sociopath, I think it'd be okay to settle for number two, just this once.

vactus
12.28.2012 , 04:50 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by JLazarillo View Post
Having just finished Balmorra with my Vanguard, I'm a little surprised to not see Tanno Vik's name popping up in this topic as of yet. I know Havoc Squad only accepts "the best", but really, if "the best" is a freaking sociopath, I think it'd be okay to settle for number two, just this once.
Yeah, I'm can't stand the guy. Guess who sits on the bench and is my Underworld/Armortech lacky.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Casual PVP with Hardcore Determination
Prophecy of the Five | Peacekeeper | International Guild

Harlequintwo
12.28.2012 , 08:01 PM | #30
I like to think that my Sorc is indeed a master manipulator when it comes to Ashara. She still holds the belief that she is a Jedi (or at least in the grey area, as I felt she thought towards the end of her arc) but she is now bent to my will, under the illusion that I'm fighting for a better Empire and that I care for her (romantically and as a friend). This all leads to a unique situation where I have someone who can gather supporters from the Jedi, and I have another loyal guardian. Story-wise it also makes for a fun perspective from a character.
I do agree though that this subtle approach is not for everyone's character, in which case Ashara can be very frustrating. However, I don't think that she's dissident, or at least not to me.

To be honest, most companions challenge you when you make choices that go against them, but I don't think any actively challenge you at all times. I haven't played as a Bounty Hunter but from what I've seen, even Skadge does what he's told. And Lord Scourge just sits back and enjoys the ride, providing some (dark side) backseat banter as you go. The closest would probably be Khem Val's other half who I'm damn sure is working behind my back on a way to restore power, just doesn't say anything about it.