Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preferred Status Players Increase in Quickbars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Preferred Status Players Increase in Quickbars
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.29.2012 , 05:24 AM | #71
When is this coming? Im now on Preferred Status and with two quickbars its rather unplayable

Macheath
11.30.2012 , 12:09 AM | #72
Now they just need to give free to play players a 3rd bar, so they can actually have access to every one of their class's core skills (my Shadow has 35 class abilities, which is almost exactly 3 bars.)

Let them pay for the additional hotkeys needed for things like pets, mounts, and inventory items, but don't make them pay to have full access to their character abilities. That's not right.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

gregordunbar
11.30.2012 , 04:18 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Now that this is over with, I wonder what people will latch on to next. My guess is either the credit cap or hide head slot.
Anything and everything that causes a player to hit a wall before end game. If the idea of a pay trap is to trick F2P players to spend money, then why limit the amount of people you are going to trick by causing a wall to suddenly appear before you can suck the player in.

This game has already limited the amount of MMO players that will like it with the massive holes that exist in its gameplay,chopping that game up into even smalller pieces is going to limit your paying playerbase even further by making it even less enjoyable.

Deal with the fact that this game is not great already before you allow Bioware to think freemium is a good idea long enough to make this game die an even faster death...hell, you should be worried enough to be screaming at Bioware to get off their backsides and expand the game faster to SAVE it, not ask them to do more moronic things to kill it quicker.

Macheath
12.02.2012 , 06:33 AM | #74
Here's the thing. BioWare really should be trying to compete with Guild Wars 2, their biggest free to play competitor right now, but they don't seem like they are even trying. Guild Wars 2 not only grants full UI access without additional cost to players, but also grants access to 5 character slots, and the ability to equip any armor in the game. Then there's unlimited access to instanced PvP and PvE content as well. Guild Wars 2 also handles their equivalent to "cartel packs" better. You have a chance to find both their random item boxes, as well as the keys to open them, within the game itself. Alternately, you can purchase the boxes, or the keys, individually in the cash shop as well, if you desire.

The only items in GW2 exclusive to the cash shop are cosmetic items like "town" equipment (equipment only shown off while in town, like an appearance tab) and mini-pets, barber shop "makeover" items, and some minor EXP boosts (which could be seen as pay-to-win, but they offer fairly insignificant gains.)

BioWare is seriously behind the 8 ball, here. I don't think they deserve much praise for this one change alone. In order to keep their hybrid F2P/sub model running, they obviously have to restrict some things for the free to play crowd. But, there are currently far too many restrictions for F2P players in SW:ToR to even begin to compare to the competition. Games which are completely free to play, and thus have absolutely no guaranteed source of cashflow, manage to offer far more options to their players than BioWare does to their free to play accounts. That has to change.

Surely, BioWare must see that their model isn't competitive right now with other F2P games on the market. I mean, it's not even close.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

OceanwaveII
12.02.2012 , 06:39 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
Here's the thing. BioWare really should be trying to compete with Guild Wars 2, their biggest free to play competitor right now, but they don't seem like they are even trying. Guild Wars 2 not only grants full UI access without additional cost to players, but also grants access to 5 character slots, and the ability to equip any armor in the game. Then there's unlimited access to instanced PvP and PvE content as well. Guild Wars 2 also handles their equivalent to "cartel packs" better. You have a chance to find both their random item boxes, as well as the keys to open them, within the game itself. Alternately, you can purchase the boxes, or the keys, individually in the cash shop as well, if you desire.

The only items in GW2 exclusive to the cash shop are cosmetic items like "town" equipment (equipment only shown off while in town, like an appearance tab) and mini-pets, barber shop "makeover" items, and some minor EXP boosts (which could be seen as pay-to-win, but they offer fairly insignificant gains.)

BioWare is seriously behind the 8 ball, here. I don't think they deserve much praise for this one change alone. In order to keep their hybrid F2P/sub model running, they obviously have to restrict some things for the free to play crowd. But, there are currently far too many restrictions for F2P players in SW:ToR to even begin to compare to the competition. Games which are completely free to play, and thus have absolutely no guaranteed source of cashflow, manage to offer far more options to their players than BioWare does to their free to play accounts. That has to change.

Surely, BioWare must see that their model isn't competitive right now with other F2P games on the market. I mean, it's not even close.

-Macheath.
That doesn't make any sense you have to still pay 60 dollars for Guild wars 2 and there No Free Trial what so ever it one of the reason I've never touched the game . It B2P ,Jesus how many times do people have to keep mentioning this ? TOR you can play for free literally download and try and make a character level as far as you liked , You can't do that with Guild wars 2. it is no a Free 2 play game it like saying Mass Effect is a Free 2 play game after you pay 69,99 to access it .

Guancyto
12.02.2012 , 06:50 AM | #76
Yeah. As down as I am on certain parts of the F2P model, the $60 that you'd spend on Guild Wars 2 will get you pretty much everything you could want as a Preferred player in SWToR.

Or will, once they update Preferred with more quickbars and character slots and all that, like they're planning on doing.

Whillwynn
12.02.2012 , 07:17 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenceriker View Post
Now to get this changes for F2Players, and maybe a headslot/unify colors with sprint on the side. One small step forward though, i guess.
Well, if they just give -everything- away, then there's no point in subscribing. I think that convenience-related limitations are a great way to entice people... brick walls to advancement (read: not being able to equip artifact gear, insufficient quickbars for all your abilities) are not. They're just frustrating. Still, a $5 purchase at some point after hitting level 25 or so (which is when you start feeling the need for those sidebars) to get the sidebars is not unreasonable.

As a subscriber that had to downgrade to Preferred status a day after F2P's launch due to credit card issues, I can tell you that the cosmetic limitations are a huge drive to resubscribe (I resubbed after 2 weeks, when my new CC arrived). They're lame, but they work. At the end of the day, the point is to entice you to pay, not to give you enough for free that you don't feel like subscribing is necessary; wouldn't be much of a business unless they found ways to monetize you.
"People throw away what they could have by insisting on perfection, which they cannot have, and looking for it where they will never find it." - Edith Schaeffer

JebRWocky
12.04.2012 , 03:00 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Whillwynn View Post
Well, if they just give -everything- away, then there's no point in subscribing. I think that convenience-related limitations are a great way to entice people... brick walls to advancement (read: not being able to equip artifact gear, insufficient quickbars for all your abilities) are not. They're just frustrating. Still, a $5 purchase at some point after hitting level 25 or so (which is when you start feeling the need for those sidebars) to get the sidebars is not unreasonable.

As a subscriber that had to downgrade to Preferred status a day after F2P's launch due to credit card issues, I can tell you that the cosmetic limitations are a huge drive to resubscribe (I resubbed after 2 weeks, when my new CC arrived). They're lame, but they work. At the end of the day, the point is to entice you to pay, not to give you enough for free that you don't feel like subscribing is necessary; wouldn't be much of a business unless they found ways to monetize you.

Well Said, if you pay monthly you Should get bonuses that ftp does not get.

Adeacia
12.04.2012 , 03:03 AM | #79
Well, I'm super glad about the quickbars. It shows that they are listening to us now.
[ Swanny Sabersong ]
[ Tomb Of Freedon Nadd ]