Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Widespread use of Shii-Cho for Rage/Focus specs is not so lore-friendly?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Widespread use of Shii-Cho for Rage/Focus specs is not so lore-friendly?

Varthag
11.23.2012 , 06:43 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
It was so effective he went down within few seconds the moment he fought his first Sith...
Hands down one of the lamest, most infuriating moments in that movie.

OT: all Jedi/Sith learn Shii-Cho before anything else. Just because they learn new forms afterwards, it doesn't necessarily mean they completely abandon that style.

Kilikaa
11.23.2012 , 06:52 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by GIF_Bluehawk View Post
Not entirely correct. While Darth Sidious is unquestionably powerful, and absolutely one of the most powerful to have ever existed, you could also easily make the argument that Marka Ragnos, Darth Bane, or even Revan were as powerful or perhaps even more powerful. The problem with this kind of dialogue is that the majority of Sith that qualify for being "most powerful" never exist in the same time frame. In other words, you can make the case that no single one of these Sith are the most powerful, and instead are simply the most powerful at the time of their existence.
Now I may be wrong, and I am sure Miss Felana will correct me, but when Revan came up with the Rule of Two, forst utilized by Bane, he stated that with each generation the Sith become more powerful than the previous. Bane learned everything he could and taught his apprentice, Zannah. She was more powerful than he. Her apprentice became more powerful than her. This continued through the centuries until both Vader and Sidious died.

Because of Revan's Rule of Two, Sidious would have become more powerful than any Sith Lord before him, including Ragnos, Revan and Bane. They were powerful for their time, but Sidious IS the most powerful Sith ever to roam the galaxy. Think about how strong Bane was. He was beaten by a more powerful and cunning Sith, who in turn was killed by someone even more powerful and cunning. Ragnos, Revan and Bane would not be able to match Sidious' power.

GIF_Bluehawk
11.23.2012 , 06:55 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
Now I may be wrong, and I am sure Miss Felana will correct me, but when Revan came up with the Rule of Two, forst utilized by Bane, he stated that with each generation the Sith become more powerful than the previous. Bane learned everything he could and taught his apprentice, Zannah. She was more powerful than he. Her apprentice became more powerful than her. This continued through the centuries until both Vader and Sidious died.

Because of Revan's Rule of Two, Sidious would have become more powerful than any Sith Lord before him, including Ragnos, Revan and Bane. They were powerful for their time, but Sidious IS the most powerful Sith ever to roam the galaxy. Think about how strong Bane was. He was beaten by a more powerful and cunning Sith, who in turn was killed by someone even more powerful and cunning. Ragnos, Revan and Bane would not be able to match Sidious' power.
I don't entirely disagree with you. I was just pointing out that you can make the case that Sidious wasn't the most powerful ever.
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the Star Wars EU.

IronFirewind
11.23.2012 , 07:05 PM | #14
Shii-CHo is also the style that is regarded as the most effective vs groups of enemies. Just saying.

Bioware really did their research when it comes to the styles and their trees.

Shii-Cho = Random and erratic and good against crowds (Sweep.Smash). It shows a mastery of the fundamentals (does not rely on talented attacks). Doesn't have much of a defence against blasters (It's main weakness is kiters).

Ataru = Flashy and acrobatic (Looks awesome and has the e-peen hits), and can utterly overwhelm someone not prepared for it (one of the best burst specs in the game) but if an Ataru user is put off their stride (it's very easy to CC a Combat/Carnage user and mess up their entire offence) or if they are unable to overwhelm their opponents with pure offence they get picked apart easily (VERY squishy without backup).

Juyo = Wild and erratic. Easily the most unpredictable style (You are unsure when a Watchman/Anni Sent/Mara's burst is going to come because it is tied to Zen). Juyo users rarely let up on the attack (DoTs reflect this well).

Shien = Favour physical strength (hit for hit it does have the highest base damage for physical moves and has a strength bonus), it is a highly offensive style but it does stand up well to blaster fire (It's a Guardian/Jugger spec so on paper at least it is one of the thoughest DPS classes). But if it can't overwhelm the enemy with powerful attacks then it does struggle (it's burst is lacking)

Soresu = It has an entire tanking tree dedicated to it and it has the highest defence stat rating in the game (Soresu was designed to utterly counter blaster fire so it makes sense that they deflect ranged attacks often)

Also Shii-Cho, Ataru and Juyo are known in lore to have duel wielding regimens which makes perfect sense considering a lot of Jar'Kai techniques are derived from Shii-Cho and Ataru.
Lilisetté - Assassin | The Progenitor EU (RP)

Aurbere
11.23.2012 , 07:09 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post

You are correct. Sidious is the most powerful Sith Lord to walk the galaxy. Nothing any Sith Lord has done can compare to his mastery of the Dark Side. He was a possession of the Dark Side, and it was his. He heard the ancient Sith proclaim his mastery over the Dark Side.
Added Chapter 61 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Warren-Stride
11.23.2012 , 08:02 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
It was so effective he went down within few seconds the moment he fought his first Sith...
Power debate aside, as one of the other posters pointed out, Shii-cho is useful against many opponents and weak against only one.

Kit Fisto was good against multiple attackers. If you want proof watch the battle between him and General Grievous (TCW). He was skilled at battling multple opponents (or in this case, multiple arms).

So, when facing Sidious, not only was Kit Fisto surprised, he was out of his element. Instead of being outnumbered against several enemies, he actually had higher numbers against one. Shii-cho is very different in 1 v 4 than 4 v 1.

In this reversed role, Fisto was unable to handle a very powerful Sith with the element of surprise while trying to do something his form was just not meant to do: attack a single enemy while working with team mates of his own.