Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Girlfriend Friendly" classes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
"Girlfriend Friendly" classes?

Alec_Fortescue
11.23.2012 , 03:08 AM | #11
Girfriends are great pocket healers for leveling, and casual pvp. Shame they can rarely (there are exceptions but few...) hold their own in end-game content.

I always see girlfriends playing healer Sages/Sorcerers for some reason.
Atris' robes are great. But how about letting players wear the robes that are already in the game but not accessible to them?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Atramar
11.23.2012 , 03:19 AM | #12
I'd say BH for first char, you get healer as first companion which makes learning curve friendly. Pyro or Tank tree is user friendly too (prodobly tank in dps gear a bit more)
Or, Assassin. Only problem with asa is healer in late game which can make leveling and learning a bit hard for newbie.

p.s. don't treat your gf as half mind person... they are humans like us :P

mine beats me in shooters all the times....
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

KeyboardNinja
11.23.2012 , 09:00 AM | #13
I generally level with my brother, and we're working on our fourth pair of 50s, so we have a decent idea of what leveling combos are the smoothest. :-)

Short answer, from a class composition perspective, go double DPS. You will have absolutely no trouble with anything except heroics while leveling, and even then you should be able to make it through with a healer pet and enough Presence. As for which class specifically, I love TK Sage. I've played most classes in the game, and TK is the most fun DPS spec by far. A lot of intricacy, fairly consistent burst and strong AoE (important for leveling). Also, a DPS sage provides off-healing, which makes the double-DPS combo even stronger while leveling. So, from a mechanical perspective, she should pick a Sage and go TK, and you should level a Sentinel.

Unfortunately, the Sage story is painfully awful. My first class was a shadow, and I adore the class, but the story was really, really bad. From a story perspective, the best class is the Smuggler, with the Knight following up. The Trooper is third, with the Sage falling far to the rear. The gunslinger is a very fun class to play, and not really that difficult. Energy management is easy in certain specs (especially Sharpshooter), and the cover mechanic isn't that unintuititve. Scoundrel is pretty fun too, but it's melee, which can be a little more hectic. In either case, you should level a Vanguard with her and go Assault spec. The trooper storyline is pretty fun to see, even in spectator mode.

From the perspective of learning MMO mechanics, you can't beat tanking. I leveled as a tank as an MMO noob and I learned *so* much. Vanguard tanking is quite easy, almost boring, and leaves a lot of brain power open for studying game mechanics and strategy. You should level a gunslinger if she goes Vanguard.

I really don't recommend leveling the same class together, since you'll have to do every class phase twice and you'll miss out in the "secondary" storyline in spectator mode.

So, from a mechanical perspective, Sage+Sentinel. From a story perspective, Gunslinger+Vanguard. From a learning perspective, Vanguard+Gunslinger.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

Nydus
11.23.2012 , 10:22 AM | #14
I don't advise a Healer Class
Why is everyone assuming a girlfriend would want to play a supporting, healing role? Considering she is a newbie, SHE might need the supporting. She should consider a tank or DPS.

I don't advise Republic
Firstly, she may not like the Republic as much as you think. I can tell you, I started playing in January with a group of guys and girls and the girls were among the quickest to get bored with the republic.

Imperial Agent or Scoundrel
Just based on the women I know who have played this, they have enjoyed these classes the best. Generally, the IA storyline seems to be accepted as the best in the game, or at least one of the best. Haven't heard the same said for scoundrel.

Maybe you should both start up NEW characters EMPIRE side. You may be surprised.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

KeyboardNinja
11.23.2012 , 10:56 AM | #15
The best storytelling by far is on the Empire side. Most of my 50s are Republic, which is not something I regret, but I was vastly more impressed with the class stories and world arcs on Imp side. The agent is the best story in the game, hands down.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

amnie
11.23.2012 , 01:50 PM | #16
I don't know if you want some input of an actual female, but I'll give it anyway

do NOT tell her what she might like or not like.

you want to play with her, ok, so naturally you want her to 'play with you'

why the HELL do guys always do that to their non-gamer non-mmo-gamer girlfriends?

you want her to enjoy the game, she wants to play republic... and now you're asking us about a way to coax her into playing empire? really?

you want her to play a class that works with the class you play? really?

how about .you. play a 'fitting' class with the class SHE wants to play?

let her just freaking pick a random class, and if she doesn't like it roll a new one. you get to lvl 10 pretty quickly in this game, especially if you play together, so there is not much time wasted until picking an AC and realising 'ok this is not my play style'.

amnie
11.23.2012 , 01:58 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
Girfriends are great pocket healers for leveling, and casual pvp. Shame they can rarely (there are exceptions but few...) hold their own in end-game content.

I always see girlfriends playing healer Sages/Sorcerers for some reason.
are you really surprised? the healer is 'the girl's rule' according to 'the gamer boyfriend' (barf)

most people aren't very good at a job they don't really want to do.

Jenzali
11.23.2012 , 02:18 PM | #18
I'd say Sage - the resource management of the other classes may be a bit confusing at first for new players, while a "mana" bar (a Force bar here) is fairly standard across a lot of games.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Icebergy
11.23.2012 , 02:26 PM | #19
Vanguard DPS is the most effective, easiest to play, class. Also the guy that said to have her tank is just flat out wrong. Tanking has a lot more responsibilities and requires that you pay attention to more things. This will either distract her and make her play worse or cause her to not have fun, or more likely both.

Plus if you ever do any group content with her, tanks tend to be abused the most by other players.

Also the people saying Imperial stories are better, thats just an opinion. In my opinion the best to worst stories are:

1. IA
2. JK
3. SW
4. Smug
5. RT
6. BH
7. JC
8. SI

On average, the republic stories are better than the imperial ones.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

z-monty
11.23.2012 , 02:30 PM | #20
If all she cares about is just playing the game with you and not the story or class at all, and on the Republic side, I'd suggest a Smuggler, either class, or the Sage. If you want to have mercy on her, then I'd suggest keeping her to a DPS class since those are much more straightforward and easy to play than a healer or tank.

Gunslingers are easy enough since they just kinda stay in one place and fire, which would be good for her. Scoundrels, like you said, are great with stealth and it would be an added bonus if you two could just bypass all the mobs you wanted. Only tricky thing is that their energy management, as I'm sure you know, is harder to adjust to, so it might be difficult for a newer player like her to do it. Granted, I rolled an Operative as my first ever character and got the hang of it, so who knows.

Sage would probably be the ideal choice though, since their DPS is pretty good and mostly it just involves staying at the same spot at a distance. Resource management doesn't come too much into play here and, as long as she doesn't mind the slower story, she should enjoy this class too. And, there's always the option out there as a healer if she wants to switch things up too.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post
No, I'm not a big fan of the Queen or Royal Family, but yes, I do love tea.
Well played CS... well played