New Races vs. Character Slots, Very Limited

Myfness

What can I say, I'm really looking forward to being able to play new races. For me, getting to explore new options is part of what keeps a game alive and viable.

I have a rather large problem though, there are really tight restrictions on the number of characters you can have on a server. I had 8 characters on one server (Corellian Run) and 8 characters on another server (Dreshdae Cantina). Both of these severs merged with a third, which now means I have 16 characters on The Shadowlands server. If I delete a character, I don't get a new slot for another character to replace it, unless I delete 5 characters, taking my total below 12. For me, that's not a good trade, 5 characters I've spent time on, effort with, money in the in game way, versus getting 1 character I have to start all over from the very beginning with little hope of being able to glean anything off the deleted corpses of the predecessor characters.

Since Launch, I've been a regular and consistent Subscriber. I pre-ordered the game, and have been around since Beta. So you can imagine my disappointment when I looked at the Cartel Store and saw that you can now buy character slots. But there's a limit of 12 total character slots, and if you're a subscriber, there's no point in you buying a slot, because you still can't have more than 12 (Unless like me you had max number of toons on two servers that merged).

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with spending Cartel Coins on allowing me to have more slots. Even if that meant I had to pay a small coinage fee for the characters I've had since about week one just to be able to make a Cathar or two on my main server, and not have to make a new character on a server I have fewer Crafting Characters on, smaller support system, left to drift without a Guild.

I want to play new races, I want to do it on my main server without having to delete characters to do it. I know it's greedy of me, but as a Subscriber, it would suck if I had to delete a bunch of established characters just so I can make only one new character.

My suggestion is to allow us to purchase with Cartel Coins more than 12 slots per server either WITH the Cathar launch, or before we get Cathar, and avoid the riots all together.

Myfness....

Agree. I am currently restraining myself as I need to keep one slot for the Cathar... From business perspective BW is losing also from people not being able to roll more characters and therefore not spending any cartel coins on them. In the end it isn't fair to "force" someone to create characters on another server while the Legacy is server- and not account-bound. Many people would decide not to start on another server at all (still many might do it)...

In no other game have I been compelled to play and replay all classes so BW did a great job with the game (for me at least) and as said above they should further capitalize on that. A big story-fan like me would want to ideally have at least 2 slots for every class (=16 right now) so that they can see each class story from at least two angles (dark/light, male/female, etc.). Adding another race or class would definitely require another character slot or two. I'm optimistic as BW did raise the slot number from 8 to 12 already, so they are on it :)

Well, they really had up the limit from 8 when they made the big server mergers, elsewise folk would've abandoned ship even faster. If I had been forced to choose characters to delete, I would have been amongst them, to be honest.

As for other games limiting number of character slots.....Sure, it happens. When I first started playing DDO I think the limit was 8 per server to start for Subscribers, and then up to 20 per server bought with Turbine points. If you buy a slot with points, you get that slot on all their servers. In the years since I joined, they've added 2 races and 2 classes that I can easily recall and have since upped the limit on bought slots above 25. To me, Turbine got that right. Also, their on-board vox chat rocks.

Conversely, with DCU, you have a very limited pool of slots shared over every server. You have 12 (I think) characters, period. That number isn't per server, it's total. So if you have 8 on 1 server, you can only have 4 more characters on any other server. Never been a fan of that system, very limiting. I'm sure you can now buy more slots with Sony Cash, but to be honest it's been probably half a year since I logged into that game, and much longer since I was a Subscriber there.

I never played SWG, in part because I couldn't fully delve the depths of the game with only one character. This universe is just so big, so many races, so many occupations, how could I choose just one character to be? And in any case, this isn't SWG. Shouldn't this game strive to exceed other games in an all around and general sort of way? Shouldn't it try to evolve in ever more efficient and functional and fair to all players sorts of ways? Especially those that preceded it in the SW Universe?

I'm thoroughly prepared to spend coins on more character slots, have no problem with doing it. I don't mind an upper limit either, just make it an evolving system. Make the base number of slots per server 16, then the purchasable limit 20. That (20 total slots per server) would give me and currently overmaxed people who had max toons on two servers that merged into one 2 more Republic and 2 more Imperial toons to play around with on my main Server when Cathar come out.

It would also level the proverbial playing field for Subscribers that DIDN'T have max number of toons on two servers that merged. It's not really fair to them, just because I got all hyper about making 1 of each Advanced Class in both the Dark and Light Factions, that I should have 4 more toons than they have. That's 4 more characters worth of pooled supplies, 4 more characters worth of Legacy points earned, 4 more toons to earn coin on or craft with. If I played differently and had gotten two or three toons up 50 and hadn't made all 8 toons on the servers, I'd be pissed that I was stuck at 12 when some other schmuck with the ADD who loves to indulge it (like me) has 16. Especially if we're both paying the same Subscriber fee.

IN Summary:

1.) Raise Base Subscriber Limit to 16 per server for all Subscribers.

2.) Allow Subscribers as well as Free-to-Players to purchase up to 20 slots per server.

3.) Continue to raise the purchasable slots per server as Races and Classes are added by 4, as each Race/Class comes available for play.

4.) Consider adding an on-board voice chat system. I'm just saying it can be done right and really rocks when it does. Then you don't have to coordinate what 5 programmes you're going to use to chat with your buddies, cause one person is paying for Vent, another has xFire, someone else only uses Skype and there's the guy who has the programme no one has ever heard of and he doesn't want to download anything else.....Imagine how much smoother the Warzones and Ops missions and what would be if the party/ops group could all be on the same programme, chatting with each other and making plans and call outs and things like that.

Myfness.....

Mos games have character slot restrictions. SWG you got one slot per server

true but, in SWG you could change professions, factions and recustomize your features,

Not to mention here the problem is legacy being bound to server, if it was bound to account then the unlock would be for all characters and this would be a good thing.

IN Summary:

1.) Raise Base Subscriber Limit to 16 per server for all Subscribers.

2.) Allow Subscribers as well as Free-to-Players to purchase up to 20 slots per server.

3.) Continue to raise the purchasable slots per server as Races and Classes are added by 4, as each Race/Class comes available for play.

Agreed.

il add my voice to this. im at 14/12 and i really want 2 new PVP characters since i havent done PVP much below 50. likewise id be willing to pay a months sub to get the dang slots. this should be as big an option as say recustomization and renames. using STO for a reference, if you pay the zen, you only ahve liberal limits. i know a friend has 20 seperate captains, and theres only 3 'classes' on 2 factions there, no real advanced classes to double the numbers. id even be willing to pay for the 2 slots im over on in order to gain the ability to buy more. 16 really should be possible, i mean evne jsut aesthetically having a half full second page seems incomplete XD

im willing, begrudgingly, to wait til cathar patch, but yea. please bioware.

• 3 months later...
Mos games have character slot restrictions. SWG you got one slot per server

Most game have not been built with a huge push in the Altoholic direction.

SWTOR is all about Legacy, and having multiple characters.

When you have the various speaking with your companions you even find out that

there are links between some of the companions of various characters.

And as a fan of Stories, I really want to push the limit and try everything.

Actually I still plan to play for a long time, and having 9 characters in the way,

I already know what the 3 next are going to be (they are not created as

I want a Cathar and I need to unlock the 2 other races first).

But just in my case I would like to have enough characters to explore every aspects of every

stories. Be it light sided or dark sided.

And just to give a bit more to the situation, we have 21 options for Romance actually

and surely some news coming. So why can't we explore all the stories, enjoy all the

various funny situation and the like ?

il add my voice to this. im at 14/12 and i really want 2 new PVP characters since i havent done PVP much below 50. likewise id be willing to pay a months sub to get the dang slots. this should be as big an option as say recustomization and renames. using STO for a reference, if you pay the zen, you only ahve liberal limits. i know a friend has 20 seperate captains, and theres only 3 'classes' on 2 factions there, no real advanced classes to double the numbers. id even be willing to pay for the 2 slots im over on in order to gain the ability to buy more. 16 really should be possible, i mean evne jsut aesthetically having a half full second page seems incomplete XD

im willing, begrudgingly, to wait til cathar patch, but yea. please bioware.

Just to pick about the Star Trek info, I own myself over 14 characters there. With only 3 class. The only difference being mostly what kind of ship I use in space and their ground gears that vary from one to the other.

Edited by StavinskyElyas
adding a ps

• 2 months later...

Well, the Cathar have landed.

I've spent Cartel Coin to get them. I have no Coin left. But, just to scout the possibility, I went to look up the "Buy a Character Slot" entry on the Cartel market. The wording is kind of ambigious, and I'm trying to decide what it means.

QUOTE:

This will unlock an addition Character Slot on all server. (<----not my typeo, just saying)

*Server Character Slots allow a new character to be created on each server.

*Subscribers begin with 12 slots per server.

*Preferred Status Players begin with 6 slots per server.

*Free to Play Players being with 2 slots per server.

*This item will allow Preferred Status Players to activate an inactive character on a server.

This seems pretty clear doesn't it?

But, what if you're a Subscriber who's got 16 characters on a server because of Server Merger? Does this mean that I have to buy 2400 Cartel Coins worth of slots BEFORE I can buy a 17th character on my main server? That's four months worth of Cartel Coins, if you have a Security key. Does it mean that my limit for all servers would then be 13 characters (excepting for the one that's got 16), in other words 16 on main, 13 on all others? Or would it be a 17 characters on my main and 13 on my other servers? If I delete a character on my main server right now, will I be able to rebuild him without having to buy that character slot? Would I have to buy character slots 13-16 to rebuild him? And now the ambiguity becomes apparent to more than just me.

And I'm going to have to jump on the wenging about having to buy with Cartel Coin the Cathar species bandwagon. I can understand buying a cosmetic change to change one existing character to another species. Changing an existing character's got to be a coding pain. I'm fine with that, and it's good that Subscribers get a decent discount on buying cosmetics. But as a Subscriber, I shouldn't have to buy the species for character creation. I want to understand why the decision was made to charge Subscribers to have access to the species at all. You, the Developers might not see it as charging because my Subscription gives me a stipend, but it's 1 month I can't buy anything else on the Cartel Market. It's 1 month I can't buy another character slot and answer for myself all my above questions. It's 1 month more I have to wait before I can actually PLAY this species. It might only be 1 month to you, but it adds 4 months worth of not being able to do anything with this species but wait or play on a server where I don't have a guild, I don't have a decent Legacy or support system for my characters.

Yeah, I could conceivably buy more cartel coins, if I could afford that. But I can afford Coins OR I can afford a Subscription, not both. I rely on my Subscription to make it so that I can play the game as smoothly as possible. Waiting 4 months is not smooth. Not being able to use my coins on anything else to achieve being able to play this Species is not smooth. It mucks up my plans and makes me grumbley.

It's like that argument between Luke and Uncle Owen, It's just one more season to you all, but it's a whole nother year to us. If you deem it so, tell us why. The words "Trust us, it's better this way," don't work as an answer either. I give you my hard earned money each month, I don't have to this game IS my entire entertainment expense. I've given you my money since I pre-ordered the game, haven't I shown that I trust you through server merges, beta, murderous lag, having to rebuild my characters skill trees seemingly every other month because you all made changes to game which probably won't make anything better in my over-all experience with your product? I feel kinda like a guy who's dating a chick with trust issues, what more do I have to do to show you that in general I do trust you? Like Number 5, I need more input. Convince me why I should.

A little post from the Dev's every now and again confirming that you have gotten our suggestion and that it's being looked into would go a very long way to help smooth some ruffled feathers. You don't always have to go into detail if something is actually in development, just say "Great idea, we're working on the feasibility, and we hope you like what we come up with as a solution". But if something has been released, is an explanation of why this thing or that was done the way it was really too much to ask for?

Climbing down off the Soapbox now.....

Myfness....

Founder, Subscriber and Constant Player.