Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you think more people are going to play because of the free-to-play option?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you think more people are going to play because of the free-to-play option?

BobTheWarlock
11.22.2012 , 12:07 PM | #1
I think They put too many restrictions on the free-to-play option give me your opinions.

monkgryphon
11.22.2012 , 12:08 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by BobTheWarlock View Post
I think They put too many restrictions on the free-to-play option give me your opinions.
There will always be those that manage. Those that like the game will stay, and more will come.

LonHawk
11.22.2012 , 12:15 PM | #3
Bioware has to he able to make some money somehow, I feel its reasonable. I mean they let you level and play the entire story for free! come on that's awesome. I haven't noticed other mmo models do that. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT, ITS FREE! Just buy a cartel pack and get some unlocks, or sub. Like I said, I think it's reasonable.

althene
11.22.2012 , 12:17 PM | #4
I think the game will grow under this f2p model (though really its a "free to try" model), but I was sceptical when they announced it. I'm fairly pleased at the value I get as a sub in my eyes. The only people that seem to be complaining about it are the launch players that jumped ship a few months ago (or more) and came back expecting way more than they got. Regardless of my opinion on that, it's valid justification for being upset. You didn't get what you were expecting. I have a feeling these players will either conform or filter out. It's somewhat rare that I see a player that is legitimately new to the game (as in actually downloaded it for free in the past couple days) that has complained about what they're getting from a content standpoint. As bugs are worked out and content is updated and added, I think newer players will feel happier with what they're getting and be more inclined to spend a few bucks in the store if not subscribe.

ConradLionhart
11.22.2012 , 12:51 PM | #5
F2P right now looks like it is good enough for exploring the story, but just barely.

althene
11.22.2012 , 12:56 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ConradLionhart View Post
F2P right now looks like it is good enough for exploring the story, but just barely.
This is exactly what they wanted. It gives the player the game for free, with the tools available for purchase to make things easier if they want them.

InzaNe-
11.22.2012 , 12:59 PM | #7
I know at least 10 people that I know personally who have gone and downloaded the game to try it under F2P who are enjoying what it offers, and are expecting to sub in the future.

These are people who never would have tried the game in the first place, but gave it a shot because it's free.

Of course more people will come to play because of Free to Play. Subscriber numbers (although not being released officially) have been stagnant at a decent number. Free to Play will only increase this, not decrease this, so if anything we can only expect numbers to rise.

Of course, initially numbers are through the roof. Numbers will drop once the initial shock value of F2P passes, but I think we'll see a decent number of F2Per's stick around and possibly sub if they feel the game delivers on more than one level.

Temad
11.22.2012 , 01:04 PM | #8
No.

Any company that releases a major patch that includes a cash shop and then goes on vacation the following week meaning no fixes for the MAJOR bugs they introduced with said patch is not going to keep people long.

Another sign they are not having the anticipated flow is they extended the date by which former subscribers can sign back up to get their coin allotment. That screams.."Well, that didn't work as well as we thought it would."

Game is sunk. From charging for UI bars to hide helmet features SWTOR is currently the laughing stock of online games. Check the reviews. Someone posted the Wired.com review of the 1.5 patch...

Writing is on the wall...stick a fork in SWTOR, lets hope the third SW MMO is the charm.
This is my signature.

Grammarye
11.22.2012 , 01:04 PM | #9
You used the future tense when the present is adequately answering your question. Populations have never been higher.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Temad
11.22.2012 , 01:08 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
You used the future tense when the present is adequately answering your question. Populations have never been higher.
Uhh...are you serious?

We are at 8 servers and they aren't even full.

I see the holiday drinking has started early.
This is my signature.