Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR needs Faction Change option.

snowmon
11.22.2012 , 09:47 AM | #11
only thing SWTOR needs is less whiners on the forums
lvl 55 PT DPS, ToFN Server

Vicen
11.22.2012 , 09:50 AM | #12
No to faction change. JUST...NO!

We need better options like being able to transfer to any server you want before this nonsense!
Swooping...is...bad...

Darth_Bond
11.22.2012 , 09:53 AM | #13
maybe when disney takes over they can finally get faction changes going, and these fanyboys and cry babies and trolls can finally get over themselves.
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

Autorch
11.22.2012 , 10:13 AM | #14
The recent Schubert interview stated that there was desire to do it but the quest flagging made it difficult to implement. Presumably he was talking about a faction switch at a lower level, because if you simply set the rule that you had to be 50 and have completed your class storyline to make the switch, what's the issue?

At that point there's only meaningless low-level planet quests, or the repeatable dailies, and who cares whether or not those get unflagged as having been done for a character? What unfair advantage would really be exposed by that circumstance? The gear obtainable from low level planet quests? The money? Right, sure. 20 minutes on a planetary daily would be 10x the reward for a fraction of the time.

In such a switch you'd become the opposite faction and mirror class, with the class storyline flagged as completed. No "switch" story, no BS, just suddenly you're put in the same level 50 situation as everyone else is. If you want to strip titles and achievements as part of the switch, fine too. That's just the price to pay. If you wanted to play the mirror class storyline you'd still have to roll from scratch.

As far as this whole "traitor" storyline or quest, that is indeed one possible opinion. Mine is that I couldn't care less and that you're way too emotionally invested in a freaking game to be making arguments about what violence is done to the storyline, particularly since none of these stories are going to be winning any awards anytime soon.

Alykia
11.22.2012 , 10:15 AM | #15
Quote:
Does that mean they will have to create twice as much Class stories to match the 4 potential new character classes present on each side ?
No. These are NOT 'four new classes'. Faction change means that a Sith Warrior would become a become a Jedi Knight, and vice versa. A Smuggler would become an Imperial Agent.

Classes are as follows;
Sith Warrior Jedi Knight
Sith Inquisitor Jedi Consular
Bounty Hunter Trooper
Imperial Agent Smuggler

When one changes faction, one simply moves from one class, to it's correlating one on the other faction. There are NO 'new classes'.

As for the suggestion that I just say 'hay please add this' and leave it at that...
When bringing a problem forward, it is always a good idea to also bring possible solutions. The game creators will naturally do whatever they deem, and if they decide to create faction change (please please please), then they will naturally do it in the path they deem best. But it is always a good idea to bring ideas to the table whenever highlighting an issue. In this case, the issue of the inability to transfer factions.

There are many problems involved with making faction change a possibility, but does that make it an impossibility? No. It simply means that they are hurdles to overcome, but they -can- be overcome, and in ways that would benefit not only the player base but the game and company as a whole.

Quote: Originally Posted by mrObtuse View Post
Well basically this is just one piece of the bigger puzzle of the untapped potential of legacy for alignment and organizations/factions.

Right now the static/binary system is very poor. I don't want to be in the empire on my bounty hunter or my juggernaut. My assassin wants to be neutral and align with other organizations. Light and dark rank does nothing but for the legacy unlock skill.

The game should not enforce grouping limit from faction and the ideal implementation would give lots of player choice to let guilds and individals have alignment with multiple organizations/factions and/or a primary one. It should be fluid and involve reward for player effort similar to legacy progression. It can work inside the legacy framework in some ways, or just interact with it.

Factionless grouping and further serverless innovation will boost this game up to the quality of its competition. Bioware initially set out to build the game a certain way and the competition it had to go off was no different than what it has become. Now we need innovations and enhancements on its strongest differentiators to see the game grow to the level it really could to stand at equal height with current gen innovative online gaming
Quoted for truth.
Write the books you want to read, play the music you want to hear, do the work you want to see done.

Elysith
11.22.2012 , 10:28 AM | #16
@Alykia: Then what you're asking is not a faction change, it's a cross-faction class switch.

In such case, you have to agree the character may potentially
- potentially lose the use of its current equipment. (There is many Class restricted items, such as Legacy Items, End-Game armors, Faction only items(boss drop that have no mean to normally exist on the opposite side) .
-lose his titles as they would make no sense on the opposite faction
-obviously reset all his quests.
- and whatever else I don't think of right now...

Personally that's not a feature I would like to see because I like permanent character building choice, I don't even like the fact that you can respec your skills in the skill-trees. but that's just me

Else technically I guess there is no hard issue with such feature.

Kendaric
11.22.2012 , 10:42 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilmot View Post
lol, for the "sake of the game". Dumb idea, play what you created.
Guess what... a lot of people do and are unhappy with their faction (for whatever reason), so a faction change after you finish your class story would be nice.

I love the bounty hunter, for example, but I absolutely loathe playing on the Empire's side. Granted, I could roll a trooper, but let's face it... the trooper feels somewhat boring in regards to their animations (I much prefer the bounty hunter animations). If I could bring my bounty hunter over to the republic side, I'd do so immediately. Even for cartel coins and I'm certainly not alone in feeling this way.

Yes, I'm aware that it wouldn't make much sense for the Force users... but then again lots of Sith Purebloods and Chiss running around in the Republic doesn't make sense either. Chiss Force users dont make sense at all, as the species can't be Force-sensitive, and still they are an option via legacy.

If it was implemented, I'd support a full faction change, i.e. taking your actual class over to the other side, for the normal classes at least. Jedi and Sith would probably have to changed to their mirrors though (not they differ much from eachother anyway).

Edit: For some classes it would make a lot of sense anyway,
Spoiler
(█⌉▀|▀|▀|▀[o]█]|▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Soluss
11.22.2012 , 10:43 AM | #18
You will get it eventually, just like you will now get AC change eventually. What was not possible before will become quite possible, now that they can charge extra for it.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

ObiJuanShenobi
11.22.2012 , 10:54 AM | #19
The only way I could see them implementing this is doing it like WoW, no story involved. Just a faction switch, with a race and name change option and similar class switch. The Smuggler becomes the Operative, The Guardian becomes the Juggernaut. Ect. Anything more in depth than this type of system that already exists in 'that other game' likely would never happen. SWTOR devs aren't trailblazers, they are followers.

Also, asking that a story comes with this wouln't happen, IMO.
The Lightstrider Legacy

Darth Crucious I Darth Imperius I Master Darkstrider I Master Liam Lightstrider I Captain Evie Lightstrider I Agent Morran Lightstrider I Major Tanken I Nikro, Hired Gun

Soluss
11.22.2012 , 10:57 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ObiJuanShenobi View Post
The only way I could see them implementing this is doing it like WoW, no story involved. Just a faction switch, with a race and name change option.

asking that a story comes with this wouln't happen, IMO.
It is possible, however, to implement a questline that you can only do once you have finished the current story chapters and change how the stories work in the future. They have already said they are bouncing around ideas on how to make it happen.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."