Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please fix commando/merc survivability/utility before 1.6 (suggestions)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Please fix commando/merc survivability/utility before 1.6 (suggestions)

Essence_of_Light
11.21.2012 , 08:27 PM | #1
Bioware you need to stop stalling and atleast TRY to fix this class. If you even TRY i'll be happy. We are good at DPS but our survivability and lack of utility make us easy targets. We suck at 1v1 and every class in the hands of an average/above average player will tear us apart. Sorcs/Sage have that "super speed" ability and bubble. Snipers/Gunslingers have "hunker down", 100% protection bubble for 3 seconds, root, AoE stun etc. Operatives/Scoundrals can go in and out of stealth out of combat and in combat. Maras/Sents have the invincibility ability that lasts 3 or 4 seconds, can turn invis for a bit and leap. Guardians/Juggs have leap, force push, choke/stasis. PTs/Vanguards can pull people to them, leap to people (if spec'd) etc. Assassin/Shadows can turn invis in and out of combat, (I think) they have the speed ability etc. What do commando/mercs have? A stealth scan with a CD and that combat regeneration that restores about 3% our health. That sucks. We need for defensive abilites that only our class has. Here are some examples:

1. Retreat- You would jump/jetpack backwards 15-20 meters away from threats

2. Reactive Shield (updated)- Reactive Shield now makes it so when its on you can't be rooted,stunned,interrupted, leaped too/pulled and movement speed increases 5-8% when on

3. Mine Field - Four hovering mines surround you and anyone who enters within 10 meters of you blows up one mine that does moderate damage and gives you a buff for reduced damage taken by 1% for 10 seconds.

4. Smoke Grenade - Makes you unable to be seen through the smoke for 5 seconds

5. Amnesia Dart - Shoots a dart at a target with stuns them for 6 seconds and causes them to forget who they were targeting so they loose target of you

6. Crippling Blast - You blast up to 4 targets around you rooting them for 5 seconds, breaks on damage after the first 3 seconds

7. Riot Droid- You call down a riot droid that drops down in front of you and takes 50% of all damage inflicting on you for 10 seconds

8. Adrenaline Spurt- You have an adrenaline spurt and can cast abilities 5% faster, increases critical hit chance by 10% and increases speed by 5-8% for 12 seconds.

That are my suggestions and ideas Bioware. If anyone has an idea feel free to state it and your opinions. Thank You!
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Illistar
11.21.2012 , 09:16 PM | #2
No offense, but you need to take a closer look at your abilities before saying you don`t have any and linking those of other classes. In no particular order you have:

Cryo Grenade (4 sec stun)
Reactive shield (25% damage mitigation)
Concussion charge (AOE knockback)
Concussive round (soft stun)

Work with what you have. I agree the class needs some tweaks, but not because of lack of defensive abilities. On those terms, only the sage beats the commando, and only slightly.

Essence_of_Light
11.21.2012 , 10:12 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Illistar View Post
No offense, but you need to take a closer look at your abilities before saying you don`t have any and linking those of other classes. In no particular order you have:

Cryo Grenade (4 sec stun)
Reactive shield (25% damage mitigation)
Concussion charge (AOE knockback)
Concussive round (soft stun)

Work with what you have. I agree the class needs some tweaks, but not because of lack of defensive abilities. On those terms, only the sage beats the commando, and only slightly.
  • Cyro Grenade only has a 10 meter use and isn't that helpful against 2 players attacking you.
  • Reactive shield is okay BUT can be better and more useful
  • Concussion charge is nothing special (doesn't root them long and it doesn't do much damage at all) Its even worse against mara/sents if you knock em back they just leap to you again
  • Concussive round stinks. Lets face it, if you try to use it you get interrupted and if you do use it 75% of the time someone will break it (it breaks on damage)
All other classes have ATLEAST ONE special thing about them that make them better than commando/mercs. Sorry, but nice try. Ask the other ton of people that play commando/mercs and we have nothing special except stealth scan with isn't useful in escaping.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Essence_of_Light
11.22.2012 , 09:18 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
Bioware you need to stop stalling and atleast TRY to fix this class. If you even TRY i'll be happy. We are good at DPS but our survivability and lack of utility make us easy targets. We suck at 1v1 and every class in the hands of an average/above average player will tear us apart. Sorcs/Sage have that "super speed" ability and bubble. Snipers/Gunslingers have "hunker down", 100% protection bubble for 3 seconds, root, AoE stun etc. Operatives/Scoundrals can go in and out of stealth out of combat and in combat. Maras/Sents have the invincibility ability that lasts 3 or 4 seconds, can turn invis for a bit and leap. Guardians/Juggs have leap, force push, choke/stasis. PTs/Vanguards can pull people to them, leap to people (if spec'd) etc. Assassin/Shadows can turn invis in and out of combat, (I think) they have the speed ability etc. What do commando/mercs have? A stealth scan with a CD and that combat regeneration that restores about 3% our health. That sucks. We need for defensive abilites that only our class has. Here are some examples:

2. Reactive Shield (updated)- Reactive Shield now makes it so when its on you can't be rooted,stunned,interrupted, leaped too/pulled and movement speed increases 5-8% when on

3. Mine Field - Four hovering mines surround you and anyone who enters within 10 meters of you blows up one mine that does moderate damage and gives you a buff for reduced damage taken by 1% for 10 seconds.

5. Amnesia Dart - Shoots a dart at a target with stuns them for 6 seconds and causes them to forget who they were targeting so they loose target of you

6. Crippling Kick - You kick up to 4 targets around you rooting them for 5 seconds, breaks on damage after the first 3 seconds

7. Riot Droid- You call down a riot droid that drops down in front of you and takes 50% of all damage inflicting on you for 10 seconds

8. Adrenaline Spurt- You have an adrenaline spurt and can cast abilities 5% faster, increases critical hit chance by 10% and increases speed by 5-8% for 12 seconds.

That are my suggestions and ideas Bioware. If anyone has an idea feel free to state it and your opinions. Thank You!
I also forgot to add that i may have gotten some of the abilities mixed up since I haven't played every class. Feel free to comment.
For the Republic!

althene
11.22.2012 , 11:09 AM | #5
I do believe I saw a commando/merc mega thread in this section not to long ago. It's definitely something they're looking at. It's a well established fact that these 2 classes have some of the worst defensive/utility skills in the game right now.

ArchArcher
11.22.2012 , 11:14 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post

6. Crippling Kick - You kick up to 4 targets around you rooting them for 5 seconds, breaks on damage after the first 3 seconds

I do agree that commandos needs boost for survivability. I have lvl 50 commando and it doesn't matter am I healer or on dps spec, once someone zeroes me in it's about 10 or 20 sec and I'm dead, with healer spec I'm able to prolong it, but it's always just a matter of time when they take me down.

I dropped my commando months ago....

First of all we have a skill where you deploy holo images of yourself (aggro dump), it has zero meaning in PvP. They should add that you get 90% melee & ranged defense for the duration of the effect. The effect should take about 6 or 10 seconds.

We lost as gunnery commandos the ability to have knockback effect by stockstrike (*** Bioware), and replaced it by weak good for nothing root. I'd say give knockback effect to stockstrike by default to commandos, and if you spec as gunnery, you'd get that root there aswell, maybe even increase the knockback range.

The AoE knockback (concussion charge ? ) should ROOT the player for 3 to 5 seconds, then have the players movement speed reduced for 50% for few seconds.

Reactive shield should reduce the damage you take by total of 30%. And with gunnery spec you'd get another 5 or 10% there aswell (perk/skill related unlock).

The adrenaline healing ability is a joke for troopers & BH's alike. Make it insta 10% max health heal. (lol)

Cryo grenades range is poor, for vanguards it's ok, but not for ranged dps class like commando, make it 15 or 20m, I think it's 5 or 10 atm.

After that grav rounds & charged bolts should be uninterruptible ! If we can't interupt snipers ambush, snipe or series of shots, then by god commando should be there aswell.

MAYBE add there AoE stun, a flashbang kind of a thingy. It's not that hard Bioware. If you can't fix this class then can you change my lvl 50 commando into vanguard ?? At least I'd have character worth to play with.

Essence_of_Light
11.22.2012 , 06:30 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchArcher View Post
I do agree that commandos needs boost for survivability. I have lvl 50 commando and it doesn't matter am I healer or on dps spec, once someone zeroes me in it's about 10 or 20 sec and I'm dead, with healer spec I'm able to prolong it, but it's always just a matter of time when they take me down.

I dropped my commando months ago....

First of all we have a skill where you deploy holo images of yourself (aggro dump), it has zero meaning in PvP. They should add that you get 90% melee & ranged defense for the duration of the effect. The effect should take about 6 or 10 seconds.

We lost as gunnery commandos the ability to have knockback effect by stockstrike (*** Bioware), and replaced it by weak good for nothing root. I'd say give knockback effect to stockstrike by default to commandos, and if you spec as gunnery, you'd get that root there aswell, maybe even increase the knockback range.

The AoE knockback (concussion charge ? ) should ROOT the player for 3 to 5 seconds, then have the players movement speed reduced for 50% for few seconds.

Reactive shield should reduce the damage you take by total of 30%. And with gunnery spec you'd get another 5 or 10% there aswell (perk/skill related unlock).

The adrenaline healing ability is a joke for troopers & BH's alike. Make it insta 10% max health heal. (lol)

Cryo grenades range is poor, for vanguards it's ok, but not for ranged dps class like commando, make it 15 or 20m, I think it's 5 or 10 atm.

After that grav rounds & charged bolts should be uninterruptible ! If we can't interupt snipers ambush, snipe or series of shots, then by god commando should be there aswell.

MAYBE add there AoE stun, a flashbang kind of a thingy. It's not that hard Bioware. If you can't fix this class then can you change my lvl 50 commando into vanguard ?? At least I'd have character worth to play with.
I agree with most of what you said. Especially about if they won't fix Commandos and Mercs then let us switch to Vanguard!
For the Republic!

Essence_of_Light
11.23.2012 , 03:35 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by althene View Post
I do believe I saw a commando/merc mega thread in this section not to long ago. It's definitely something they're looking at. It's a well established fact that these 2 classes have some of the worst defensive/utility skills in the game right now.
I agree that they are the worst (pvp) class right now with the worst utility. I also do hope that the Devs see this thread and are planning to make some commando/merc changes before/on 1.6
For the Republic!

Nitblade
11.23.2012 , 08:49 PM | #9
My main is a Gunnery commando, survivability is such a joke that i stopped PvP 4 months ago
and yeah my PvP career lasted a whole 2 weeks
Silent Corsairs
Commando [Gunnery] 50

Bowdaar: "Mercy to a Fool brings good luck"

ArchArcher
11.24.2012 , 04:24 AM | #10
Forgot to throw there the idea of having a ability that prevents players to leap on you. Maybe even make it a support kind of ability.

Imagine gunslingers/snipers balistic shield kind of looking thingy, that everyone who are inside that bubble cannot be force leaped onto, it would be smaller bubble than the actual size of balistic shield. Could last perhaps 15 to 30 seconds ? It would be a device the commando puts into ground and the device stays there. Putting the device down takes perhaps 2 to 4 seconds.