Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

irishfino
11.23.2012 , 05:05 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
I can't stop giggling. "I thought it was good." Oh man, lol.
Heeheee. I love Ald.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
"Was it not satisfactory?"

Make me giggle why don't you?
Heeheee. Ald is so paranoid about his skills. It's endearing.

Thanks for reading everyone!
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

irishfino
11.23.2012 , 05:10 PM | #12
Smooshed together cross-posts.
Game Night!

“No, not there, my Lord. You would never break through the defenses in time,” Quinn lectured. He shifted his finger along the map and pressed insistently at one point in particular.

Ald leaned in. “I don’t see it,” he mumbled quietly. He grabbed his piece and shifted it, leaving his fingers to linger.

“Of course you don’t see it,” Quinn said stiffly. He grabbed Ald’s hand and pushed the piece back to its starting position. “You’re lucky you didn’t let go of the piece, this game would have been over in two moves. Move here instead.” He moved Ald’s hand, along with the piece, to the spot he had pointed to earlier.

“Why would you assist your enemy in heated battle?” Ald asked cheekily.

“You are not my enemy, my Lord,” Quinn replied quietly. He let his fingers linger a moment longer before shifting back and moving his chosen piece. “Besides, brutally beating a novice is no fun at all.”

Ald laughed and was happy to see the Captain grin if only for the briefest moments.

“Now,” Quinn said, slipping back into teaching mode, “you have three options. I will describe each one and let you pick.”

While Ald focused on his options, Quinn focused on Ald. It was a powerful thing, that. The way he looked when he was deep in thought. The crease of his brow when he was being serious. The way his eyes devoured everything around him, searching the remains for information. Always scanning, always on alert, always on. He was a force of military precision. And he never realized the effect he had on people.

Quinn shifted his gaze back to the map. He was fortunate Ald was so focused on the board he didn’t notice the Captain’s intense gaze. Ald would have teased him into submission. And he would likely submit quickly at the faintest noise from Ald’s mouth. Ald’s voice was smooth and light, like foam over caf. It commanded attention while still being a delight to listen to.

“Captain?” Ald asked gently.

Quinn snapped from his thoughts and raised his eyes to meet Ald’s.

“It’s your move.”

Quinn nodded, not trusting his voice at the moment. It was a powerful thing, that. The way Ald stared at him, yet never through him. The way his voice caressed his ears. Quinn moved his piece with a shaky hand and it did not go unnoticed.

“We should hang him to dry,” Pierce grumbled angrily.

“I say we pump him full of bolts and send him out the airlock,” Vette said lightly.

“No one is doing anything,” Ald rumbled.

“He’s obviously a mad dog that needs to be put down,” Pierce argued.

“We’re not shooting a man because he beat me at a game of Space Risk,” Ald sighed, running a hand down his face.

“He cheated!” Vette cried.

“I am a tactical genius with twenty years of active field duty,” Quinn said stiffly. “Please, tell me how I cheated at a game of military tactics.”

“I saw you move a piece out of turn!”

“I bumped the table.”

“Lies!” Vette cried dramatically. “Next game, Pierce and I get to help Ald. We’ll crush you.”

“I accept the terms of your inevitable defeat.”

“Let’s make this interesting,” said Pierce. “If we win, you let up on the stiffness for a week.”

“Very well,” Quinn said stiffly. “However, if I win, you two have to dress in Imperial greys for a week straight.”

“Deal!” Pierce and Vette said in unison.

Ald buried his face in his hands. Quinn really had bumped the table.

One thorough thrashing later...

“Best two out of three!” Vette muttered unhappily. She really didn’t want to wear an Imperial uniform for a week.

“That wasn’t part of the deal,” Quinn said lightly.

“Oh, come on, that was a fluke! There’s no way you beat the three of us!”

“There is a way and I just showed you, but, if you’d like, I can show you another way.”

“Same terms?”

“Increase the time on both sides to two weeks.”

“Deal!” Vette and Pierce cried in unison.

Ald shook his head and fought the urge to slam it into the table several times. They were gluttons for punishment if he ever saw a pair.

The Wrathful Hologram

It was one of the few times any of those gathered had seen him angry. He was always in control of his emotions. He could manipulate them as much as they manipulated him. He bundled his hatred around him as a shield. He hid his tender core from prying eyes. He shoved it all down until it was time to strike and strike he did.

“My Lord, this is the easiest setting on the training program,” Quinn said in disbelief.

“I’m still learning,” Ald muttered.

“The hologram opponent is openly mocking you at this point.”

“It cheats,” Ald pouted.

“It’s a program!”

The hologram grinned evilly. Try maneuver him into a corner, hah! Silly Sith.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

irishfino
11.25.2012 , 05:27 PM | #13
As It Should Have Been

“I told you, my Lord. Relationships between subordinates and superiors always end poorly.”

It was the last thing he said to him before leaving. Ald had forgiven him outright, dismissed his betrayal as mere confusion. In truth, he had known what he was doing was wrong, but his pride would not allow him to fail a mission, any mission, no matter the target. He knew things would never be the same. How could they? He had destroyed unit cohesion, taken Ald’s faith in him and slit its throat. He was an opportunist and a fool. He threw it all away for his pride, his foolhardy pride. It was done. It was over. Time to move on. So he left. He packed his things and ran with his tail tucked between his legs and head bowed in shame.

He saluted Ald one last time and turned to leave.

“I never lost faith in you, Captain,” Ald said quietly. Quinn halted his quick, measured steps, but did not turn around. “When you’re done punishing yourself, let me know. I’ll be waiting.”

Quinn turned to one side and opened his mouth to speak. His thoughts left him and his voice failed. He simply nodded and turned, heading for the nearest ranking officer for assignment.

Ald let him go. He had to have faith that Quinn would come to his senses and, at the very least, return to the ship for duty. But faith was hard to maintain as the weeks passed with nary a word. Messages went unanswered, inquiries returned stated “He’s alive” and nothing else. It tore at him. As Ald and his remaining crew fought through Corellia, the change in the Sith was obvious to all around him. He was numb. He didn’t play games, he didn’t joke, he didn’t smile. He killed without caring who unless someone managed to talk him out of wanton slaughter. He barely spoke or ate. He didn’t care.

Ald’s new empty state called to Vette. Its siren song persistent and unyielding, she took a leap. Ald deserved better than Quinn. He deserved better than a knife in the back. He deserved better than misplaced affections. He deserved better. She presented herself as better and he took the bait. It was hard drawing him out from his depression, but she was persistent. She tugged and pulled and twisted until she found the right combination and unlocked the tender Ald within.

When they finally settled their business on Corellia, they hopped into the Fury and sped toward Korriban. It was time to end this. Time to kill the fat bastard trying to take over the Empire. Time to kill the fat bastard who had taken the one man – the one man he could truly be himself around – away from him.

Ald and crew approached the entrance to the Dark Council chamber. Lord Rathari and Overseer Tremel greeted Ald with reserved excitement. A third man stayed against the wall, hidden by shadow until Ald moved to walk past him.

“My Lord,” the man said quietly.

Ald froze. The man stepped from the shadows will all the dramatic flair he could muster.

“Captain?” Ald asked, arching a brow.

He nodded and bowed deeply.

“Come to enjoy the show?” Vette asked, a hard edge in her voice.

Quinn flicked his eyes to her briefly then turned his attentions back to Ald.

“Should you need medical attention after your victory, I am here.”

“Welcome back, Captain,” Ald said evenly.

“My Lord,” Quinn replied, bowing deeply once more.

Ald stepped into the Council Chamber and grinned. The fat bastard was already posturing. The Wrath, the False Voice, the Council chambers, all a stage for the final act. Ald would play his part and Baras would play his. To the death.

Pierce, Jaesa, Vette, and Broonmark waited on the sidelines far away from the clashing sabers and Force techniques the two men in the center of the room threw at one another. Vette looked over at Quinn and scowled. How had he known when Ald was coming? Why had he bothered showing up? He would get in the way of things. Things were as they should be. Ald was hers and he was happy. The Captain wasn’t needed nor was he wanted. She would chase him off.

Quinn felt Vette’s stare, her eyes boring holes into the side of his face. He sensed the shift in the air when she made her way to his side. He didn’t move. He focused his eyes on the battle in front of him. Baras was losing ground. Ald was pulling on the Force with only half his strength. He was toying with Baras. He needed to end this, quickly, before Baras caught on. A deafening roar interrupted his thoughts. He covered his ears out of reflex, though the damage was already done. Too late. He was vaguely aware of Vette cursing and clutching at the cone-shaped protrusions she called ears.

“Freakin’ hell!” Vette grumbled.

Quinn shook his head in an attempt to shake the ringing out. It didn’t work, but it didn’t matter, he only needed his eyes to follow this fight. He slipped into parade rest and watched.

Vette shook her head, her lekku shaking as she did. Now was as good a time as any.

“Hey, just so you know, Ald and I are married now,” Vette said conversationally.

Quinn glanced at her sideways.

“Yep,” she said happily, “had the official Twi’lek ceremony and everything.”

“Ah,” said Quinn. He turned his attention back to the fight. Baras was nearly down, it would be just a few moments now.

“So, yep, we’re married. Ald doesn’t need you anymore.”

Quinn grinned, but stayed silent.

“What’s so funny?” Vette asked testily.

“It’s funny that you think a Twi’lek ceremony has any credence in the Empire,” Quinn said smoothly.

Vette bristled. “It’s valid.”

“Perhaps on Ryloth, but not here.”

“It was Ald’s choice.”

“I’m sure it was.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Vetted asked. She turned to him and crossed her arms.

“You’re a schemer, Vette, but you aren’t subtle. You were infatuated with the man before I joined the crew. You continued to try to gain his attentions, his affection, even when it was clear he had no interest in you. Whatever you believe you have with him now is a falsehood he created to deal with a difficult situation,” Quinn said patiently. He turned his head to her and grinned. “It’s as valid as your Twi’lek marriage ceremony to the Empire. That is to say, it isn’t valid at all.” He turned his head back to the fight in time to see Ald slice Baras’ head from his shoulders. It was done.

The Council seemed to breathe a sigh of relief all at once. The fat, manipulative bastard was dead and their office party nibbles would finally last longer than five minutes.

The Council stood as one and bowed to the new Emperor’s Wrath. Ald smirked and wished Lord Inusitus had lived long enough to see this day. He turned to the small group lining the wall and watched as they all bowed in turn. His eyes focused on the Captain and frowned. Quinn’s small Force signature was fluctuating wildly. He was distressed and in pain. His face gave away nothing, of course. That was expected. The pain echoing in Ald’s ears was not. Instead of speaking, he gestured for the crew to return to the ship. Quinn hesitated briefly then followed the rest out of the chamber. Ald caught up to Quinn and tugged his arm. The stiff man fell into step beside Ald.

“Vette says the two of you have wed,” Quinn said quietly.

“I was… lonely,” Ald replied. “Besides, it was just a Twi’lek ceremony. Nothing on paper.”

“That’s cold, my Lord,” Quinn admonished quietly. Then he grinned and said, “I like it.”

Ald shook his head and sighed. “I allowed it to regain my grip on the Force. Even I had noticed the monster I was becoming. I needed balance. She offered balance. The ceremony was simply to placate her.”

“I understand.”

“No, you don’t,” Ald said quietly. “Vette is my friend. When you left, she offered to fill the void. I wanted that. I needed that. But I used her and our friendship will never recover from this. You have cost me many things in a short time, Malavai.” Quinn flinched visibly. “You are welcome to rejoin the crew, but you and I? We are superior and subordinate.”

“As it should be,” Quinn murmured.

“Yes,” Ald agreed firmly, “as it should have always been.”

Quinn paused momentarily to fall in-line behind Ald. They were not equals. They could not walk side by side. All was as it should be. All it should have been.

Notes:

Spoiler

Tatile
11.25.2012 , 05:32 PM | #14
Damn it Fino D:< Why'd you go and do that?

irishfino
11.25.2012 , 10:04 PM | #15
Damn it Fino D:< Why'd you go and do that?
Because I'm evil.

irishfino
11.25.2012 , 10:05 PM | #16
Rest and Time

“Should you need medical attention after your victory, I am here.” It was a vote of confidence from a man who had sided with the enemy. It was also an invitation.

When Ald entered the medical bay, Quinn was busy taking stock of the supplies, rearranging little things, ordering this and that. He made the bay his own again, his own little organized area of medical expertise and knowledge. Though Jaesa was the one who spent the most time here, he was the one who used the facilities the most.

Ald cleared his throat when Quinn had no reaction to his entrance into the medic’s domain.

“Hello, my Lord,” Quinn said without turning around. “Choose a bed and sit down. I will tend to you in a moment.”

Ald knew better than to try to distract Quinn when he was inventorying things. The man grew downright insane when bothered in the middle of the process. Ald sat on the bed closest to the cabinets and waited silently. Quinn continued his inventory for ten minutes more before double checking his list then sending the order through. He turned to Ald with a blank face.

“What can I do for you, my Lord?” he asked, his voice measured and even.

“My fight with Baras resulted in quite a few injuries. I want to ensure my insides aren’t bleeding without my knowledge,” Ald replied. “My armor managed to block the brunt of Baras’ attacks, but the man was more about blunt trauma than active severing of limbs and slicing of flesh.”

“Ah, yes. Baras’ fighting style is less than subtle.” Quinn moved to Ald’s bedside and pulled out a scanner. “For a man with such an extensive spy network and the ability to blackmail and manipulate people in subtle ways, he fought like a bull nerf rutting.”

“Why did you betray me?” Ald asked in a rush.

Quinn froze for a moment then shook his head. “I didn’t want to, my Lord. It felt… wrong. I knew it was wrong.”

“You went through with it anyway,” Ald said tonelessly.

“Yes, I did,” Quinn said quietly.

“Tell me why.”

“My Lord, I never failed a mission under any circumstances. My chances for victory were manageable. Had I failed and died, that would be the only failure on my record, if it had made its way on to my record to begin with,” Quinn explained stiffly.

“This wasn’t personal, then?”

“No, my Lord, this was a matter of pride.”

Ald didn’t reply for a moment. Quinn was looking at him with that blank face of his, but his eyes could not hide the emotions roiling under the surface. Or the pain he was in.

“What does the scan say?” asked Ald.

Quinn blinked then answered, “All clear, my Lord. No internal bleeding, a few bumps, a lot of bruising, and a few cracked bones. Nothing that won’t heal with rest and time.”

“All things can heal with rest and time,” Ald said quietly. “Right, Captain?”

“As you say, my Lord,” Quinn agreed.

Ald hopped from the bed and nodded politely. Quinn bowed and waited for Ald to leave before he closed the door to the medbay. The hiss of the door sliding shut hid the hiss of pain he sucked through his teeth. He grabbed his side and clenched the fabric of his uniform top. He gritted his teeth and sucked in uneven breaths; he needed air, any air. He turned and stumbled toward the cabinets. He reached without looking and pulled out an injector. He stabbed the offending side and waited for the medicine to take effect. He braced his palms against the counter and focused on regulating his breathing. When the pain was a dull ache, he left the medical bay and returned to quarters. He needed rest. All things could heal with rest.

And time.

iamthehoyden
11.26.2012 , 01:57 PM | #17
At first I was a bit surprised, but then it made sense. Ald is a survivor. He'd use whatever was available to him to keep going. Poor Vette
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Tatile
11.26.2012 , 02:11 PM | #18
Poor Vette
He might be a nice Sith, but he's still Sith.

iamthehoyden
11.26.2012 , 02:45 PM | #19
Very much so. Crap, yeah, I still like him, lol. It's all the unexpected bits and pieces. Complicated, intriguing man.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

irishfino
11.26.2012 , 07:42 PM | #20
At first I was a bit surprised, but then it made sense. Ald is a survivor. He'd use whatever was available to him to keep going. Poor Vette
Ald is very much so a survivor. It's second nature to him. When faced with a problem, he uses the tools he's given and, unfortunately, Vette was a tool to be used. On the flip side, he at least feels bad about using her to his own ends. Most Sith wouldn't care.

Indeed.

Very much so. Crap, yeah, I still like him, lol. It's all the unexpected bits and pieces. Complicated, intriguing man.
I'm glad he's intriguing. I daresay he's my most complex character (original or otherwise) to date! I'm rather excited. It feels like I'm growing as a writer.

Thanks for reading everyone!