Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

could r2 become force sensitive

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
could r2 become force sensitive

Warren-Stride
11.21.2012 , 06:31 PM | #21
One of the most interesting parts of the Jedi Knight storyline was
Spoiler

I'm not sure if they became fully force-sensitive, but I know they were learning. There's not much info on them (in sources such as Wookieepedia) and I don't remember details, but I for sure remember that
Spoiler

was teaching them to use the Force. Why not R2?

(Of course, I'm biased here, seeing as R2 is my favorite character and think it would be awesome for him to reach that level of awareness.)

GarfieldJL
11.21.2012 , 08:28 PM | #22
I actually think force sensitive droids are plausible, but there would have had to have been something that happened to them that makes them more than simply a machine. It really comes down to can a droid have a soul, can it surpass it's programming and actually become alive.

This is kinda a philosophical question, that one sees in Star Trek: The Next Generation, that isn't really addressed in Star Wars.

As far as droids go, 4-LOM arguably did show it was possible, it could be argued that at one point he could tap into the force, not for any flashy feats, I don't think a force-sensitive droid could develop the ability to pull off telekinesis, alter mind, or anything of that nature, but intuition and limited precognition, I think 4-LOM actually did touch the force. I suspect that 4-LOM may have been a prototype droid with some organic components though.

As far as R2 is concerned, he's probably taken the key step of surpassing his programming, C3-P0 has also surpassed his programming (R2 probably did so a lot sooner than C3-P0 though), Corran Horn's Whistler also surpassed his programming (considering the droid uploaded himself onto another computer just before a routine memory wipe and upgrades while in Cor-Sec, then redownloaded himself, after Corran Horn left Cor-Sec, the droid didn't have any memory wipes since. As far as being force sensitive.

I think people confuse R2's and Whistler's ability to think for themselves, their self-awareness, I really think droids like R2 and Whistler arguably do have souls, the way they are able to do things way outside of their programming, in Whistler's case his versitility, ability to plan things out, and abilty to just be plain sneaky, clearly demonstrates he had surpassed his programming. I mean seriously, an Astromech, potentially serving as a Defense Attorney, and years later busting himself and Wedge's Astromech out of lockdown, getting paid passage aboard a freighter, then causing a planned distraction to get away from that; and to top it all of managing to contact Talon Karrde whom isn't easy to track down is fairly impressive.

Xatasha
11.21.2012 , 08:40 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Your example itself is flawed, in the way that it does not apply. A better example would be this:

Why learn/study in order to become more intelligent? Why not just use other peoples intelligence instead?

You can't 'feed' of other peoples intelligence and make it your own. In the same way you can't 'feed' off other people's midichlorians. Its inside their body, not yours, and therefore is not part of you - you therefore cannot use it. Much like organs, midichlorians are specific to the person, and if inserted into some else body or somehow tapped into, they would be rejected.
Yours doesn't make sense. See they they paint Midiclorians as some sort of a virus or bug that lives in your blood. Therefore you could modify them with technology. Like curing the flu. And your intelligent logic is still flawed since I can indeed hire smart people to work for me and use their intelligent for my purpose.

Also many force powers affect others by using their midiclorians like Mind trick

MasterMe
11.21.2012 , 08:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by turnoverla-page View Post
something has got me thinking, that r2d2 could become force sensitive, because if you think about it Skippy the droid was force sensitive (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid)

Spoiler
Well let's see....

NOT POSSIBLE!! lol just think about it. I always hated that Jedi chick the the JK storyline who thought her droids could become force sensitive. That's just such a stupid idea.

If Disney makes it canon that a droid can use the force, then I will RAGE!!!

ThreeToedSloth
11.22.2012 , 12:25 AM | #25
R2D2 was pulling the strings the whole time!!!

Darth D2
SWG refugee squatter

Pingonaut
11.22.2012 , 03:10 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
Spoiler

I'm not sure if they became fully force-sensitive, but I know they were learning. There's not much info on them (in sources such as Wookieepedia) and I don't remember details, but I for sure remember that
Spoiler

(Of course, I'm biased here, seeing as R2 is my favorite character and think it would be awesome for him to reach that level of awareness.)
This. That was canon (I think), so yes: R2 could, technically become force-sensitive.

Beniboybling
11.22.2012 , 12:10 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
Yours doesn't make sense. See they they paint Midiclorians as some sort of a virus or bug that lives in your blood. Therefore you could modify them with technology. Like curing the flu. And your intelligent logic is still flawed since I can indeed hire smart people to work for me and use their intelligent for my purpose.

Also many force powers affect others by using their midiclorians like Mind trick
Hardly a virus, just an organism that lives inside you - so it can't exactly be 'cured'. And what do you actually mean by this? How could modifying midichlorians help droids become force sensitive? (which is probably impossible as the Force is most likely sentient) And yes I see what you mean concerning intelligence, but that's not what I meant. In theory you could hire Jedi to use the Force for you, but you can't use the Force yourself. Much like you could hire intelligent people, but not use their intelligence yourself - only get them to use it for yourself. Of course they can teach you to be intelligent, just like a Jedi can teach you to use the Force. But then it comes down to whether you can be taught or not, and droids cannot be taught (to my knowledge)

Spoiler

Spoiler

I've never heard about this, can you elaborate? E.g. ME-D droids?

Warren-Stride
11.22.2012 , 01:19 PM | #28
ME-D Droids:

Start watching at 5:10 to 5:50 for no spoiler to the actual story.

So, although they didn't move mountains, Leeha Narezze believed that droids could use the Force through the act of gaining a personality. Obviously a force-sensitive droid would not be a Jedi, but Could R2 become force sensitive in the fact that he overcame his programming in some unnatural way to become almost....... alive? Leeha Narrezze thinks so.

Xatasha
11.22.2012 , 01:42 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Hardly a virus, just an organism that lives inside you - so it can't exactly be 'cured'. And what do you actually mean by this? How could modifying midichlorians help droids become force sensitive? (which is probably impossible as the Force is most likely sentient) And yes I see what you mean concerning intelligence, but that's not what I meant. In theory you could hire Jedi to use the Force for you, but you can't use the Force yourself. Much like you could hire intelligent people, but not use their intelligence yourself - only get them to use it for yourself. Of course they can teach you to be intelligent, just like a Jedi can teach you to use the Force. But then it comes down to whether you can be taught or not, and droids cannot be taught (to my knowledge)

I've never heard about this, can you elaborate? E.g. ME-D droids?
just an organism that lives inside you hmm With advance tech you could use sound, electrical pulses, air born chemicals or any other number of things to make midichlorians to do what a droid would want them to do. Jedi and Sith do this with Mind tricks, light wall and when they cut someone off from the force. They are not playing with their own midicholrians but with others. Therefore why couldn't a droid or even a non sensitive use tech to control the midichlorians? Even in real life we have modify little organisms to be able to kill you in a few minutes

GarfieldJL
11.22.2012 , 01:44 PM | #30
ME-D Droids:

Start watching at 5:10 to 5:50 for no spoiler to the actual story.

So, although they didn't move mountains, Leeha Narezze believed that droids could use the Force through the act of gaining a personality. Obviously a force-sensitive droid would not be a Jedi, but Could R2 become force sensitive in the fact that he overcame his programming in some unnatural way to become almost....... alive? Leeha Narrezze thinks so.
As far as becoming alive, I think it is plausible, we are in all honesty an organic machine.

If people want to take the time to search for something that talks about this philosophical issue try to find:
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 2
"The Measure of a Man"

It is very relevant to this conversation.