Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crashes To Desktop, Is There A Solution?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Crashes To Desktop, Is There A Solution?

MebloColinias
11.19.2012 , 03:51 PM | #11
I had the same problem and complained until I was blue. EA/BW won't even acknowledge the problem, let alone fix it. It definately happened with the 1.4 patch.

I finally upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit with 8 GB of memory and it hasn't happened since. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. But I have been very happy since the 64 bit upgrade. Everything runs smoother and faster.

If you're able, you might try that.

Take care,
M

tausser
11.19.2012 , 03:57 PM | #12
I had maybe 3 or 4 CDs between launch and 1.4; since then it's 2-3 times a night and getting worse since 1.5. I play full screen, btw.

Adding more ram might work if you're running 64-bit but kind of useless on 32-bit if you're already maxed at 3GB system / 1Gb video.
It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Scourn
11.19.2012 , 04:36 PM | #13
adding more ram isnt really the issue , this is a memory leak that will continue to destroy ram and will only make your sessions last a bit longer. Ive been pretty happy with this game for awhile now and think its heading in the right direction but this is a deal breaker to me as its been around for way to long and im getting past the point of frustration and into the point of im about to speak with my wallet and hopefully get some of this horrible tech team on notice.

Im on windows 7 64 with 8 gigs of ram and a decent gaming system , its not some low end needing ram system or slow proc so its not my machine at all. Games do not use more than 2 to 3 gigs of ram and no reason SWTOR should be burning through gig after gig the longer you play finally crashing to desktop when your system cannot handle it anymore.

Here is some things that might be an attributing factor that im going to test myself. I use SweetFX for my DX9 and am going to remove it and play awhile(god this game is atrocious without it) and see if removing the ram uses with LAA is causing the extra ram issues.

Also I wonder if its any one graphics setting that is leaking resources and causing the crashes , I know in some games shadows are done really piss poorly and lead to overtaxing the gpu or cpu if they are bound to cpu. But i have a feeling this is not the case being memory is more for system files and not dx9 files.

Feskitt
11.19.2012 , 04:51 PM | #14
There's no solution. BW pretends it's our systems. They'll tell you to run checkdisk or memtest or some other ridiculous 'solution.'

I CTD every 1-2hrs playing TOR. Since the F2P update, even my launcher crashes half the time now. (and no, re-downloading the 'fixing' the launcher did nothing)

Yet I edit and render HD video, as well as play every other game out there, with no problems whatsoever.

TOR seems to be pretty much fail across the board.

Tracer Missile wasn't even close to a Merc's most powerful attack.
Suckwads spammed it, other suckwads lost to it.
Most apparently didn't even know they had an interrupt. Smart nerf, BW!

Bigbearbear
11.19.2012 , 05:08 PM | #15
Oddly enough I don't have this problem. I've been playing for the past 2 days, each time more than 10 hours each.

The only problem I have is that the game will not start sometimes. After I click the Play button, the launch exits and nothing happens. Either that or I get the loading screen, hear background music and the screen turns totally pink. Really weird problem, I can get around by rebooting and trying again, and repeat until the game starts.

Scourn
11.19.2012 , 06:40 PM | #16
they have this topic already sticked on the customer service page top of the page. The game crashes on 32OS around 1.7.1.8 memory used and they seem to be working on the problem though this topic is now spanning months..... I figured out my problem with it though its probably not related to a fix as mine had to do with limiting LAA to 2gigs of memory which was causing the crash using sweetfx shaders. Its def related to a memory leak that only bioware can fix with this game , there isnt any workarounds.

-ThEoNe-
11.19.2012 , 06:50 PM | #17
I've had the memory leak problem since late stages of Beta as well. Have tried EVERYTHING, including sending in all the ridiculous information that they ask to you for in customer service. I really do pray they come up with some sort of solution, b/c when you crash near the end of a winning warzone, it makes it all the more frustrating.
Zakkait - 50 Vanguard
Aurion - 50 Sentinel
Kratos - 50 Guardian
Shunsui - 50 Shadow

Brayla_Sana
11.19.2012 , 07:02 PM | #18
The most common cause of crashes is an overheated video card. Make sure the fans are flowing freely and it's dust free.

Blackavaar
11.19.2012 , 07:46 PM | #19
This is caused by the issue the game has had with some (of the most popular) nVidia graphics cards since patch 1.4. They still haven't fixed this issue and I'm beginning to wonder if they ever will.

I've tried updating my drivers, downgrading my drivers, updating my windows, system defrag, cleaning out my entire machine, playing in windowed mode, non-windowed mode, turning down graphics to minimum. Nothing seems to help.

All we can do is wait for a fix it seems.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Scourn
11.19.2012 , 07:46 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Brayla_Sana View Post
The most common cause of crashes is an overheated video card. Make sure the fans are flowing freely and it's dust free.
i understand you are trying to be helpful but please read the topic at hand and just more than skim the posts. This has absolutely nothing to do with overheating GPU CPUs overclocking anything even remotely close. This is a client side bug that only bioware can fix because somewhere in their atrocious code there is a memory leak causing memory to continue to grow with each minute that passes until your computer cannot take it and dumps the game files to release ram.