Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Crashes To Desktop, Is There A Solution?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Crashes To Desktop, Is There A Solution?

Korithras's Avatar


Korithras
11.19.2012 , 02:59 PM | #1
Does anybody know of any way I can fix this #$&%ing annoying as hell issue of the game crashing to desktop in as little as two hours from my logging in? It's not a driver issue, I know that. This problem has persisted for me (and others, I'm sure) since the game was in the late stages of the beta, so how can I take measures to lessen the problem if not fix it, since it doesn't seem to be a high priority on Bioware's to-do list to make the game stable.

Galbatorrix's Avatar


Galbatorrix
11.19.2012 , 03:01 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Korithras View Post
Does anybody know of any way I can fix this #$&%ing annoying as hell issue of the game crashing to desktop in as little as two hours from my logging in? It's not a driver issue, I know that. This problem has persisted for me (and others, I'm sure) since the game was in the late stages of the beta, so how can I take measures to lessen the problem if not fix it, since it doesn't seem to be a high priority on Bioware's to-do list to make the game stable.
Do you play in wondowed mode? I play in windowed mode on my work computer and fullscreen at home. My work PC crashes to the DS all the time and my home PC never does. I'm not sure if that is the cause, but I guess it's worth a try if you play the game windowed.

Korithras's Avatar


Korithras
11.19.2012 , 03:06 PM | #3
Yes I do play in windowed mode because I have a two monitors set up for my machine, but I doubt that's the issue. It's a memory dump crash. Something is causing all the memory on my computer to get eaten up which makes the game crap out.

DarknessInLight's Avatar


DarknessInLight
11.19.2012 , 03:15 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Korithras View Post
Yes I do play in windowed mode because I have a two monitors set up for my machine, but I doubt that's the issue. It's a memory dump crash. Something is causing all the memory on my computer to get eaten up which makes the game crap out.
It might be the game causing the memory dump. You might want to post your specs on here.

Follow these directions and copy and paste the results:

From Windows:

1. Click Start.

2. Click on the fill in field marked Search programs and files. Type "dxdiag" and press Enter.

3. When that loads, click the button marked "Save All Information". Save that file to a easily accessed section on your computer.

4. Open the document you just created, copy and paste the contents to this thread so that we can see what makes your system tick.
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu

dipstik's Avatar


dipstik
11.19.2012 , 03:18 PM | #5
i have gotten 2 CTD since 1.5, where i had effectivly zero before (except some buggy patches in the past)

Korithras's Avatar


Korithras
11.19.2012 , 03:23 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DarknessInLight View Post
It might be the game causing the memory dump. You might want to post your specs on here.

Follow these directions and copy and paste the results:

From Windows:

1. Click Start.

2. Click on the fill in field marked Search programs and files. Type "dxdiag" and press Enter.

3. When that loads, click the button marked "Save All Information". Save that file to a easily accessed section on your computer.

4. Open the document you just created, copy and paste the contents to this thread so that we can see what makes your system tick.
This is a fairly large document, I'm presuming I don't need to post the whole thing, as it would be an enormous post? Is there a particular section of the diag you wanted me to put up?

itsmymillertime's Avatar


itsmymillertime
11.19.2012 , 03:34 PM | #7
Put it all in spoiler tag.

Korithras's Avatar


Korithras
11.19.2012 , 03:41 PM | #8
Here it is.

Spoiler

Scourn's Avatar


Scourn
11.19.2012 , 03:46 PM | #9
this is a common issue that many people are having and has been going on since 1.4 and they seem to be aware of it. It doest matter if you play in windowed or full screen it crashes to desktop when it goes over the amount of ram you have. Its a memory leak and so far no one seems to have a work around other than buying more ram for your pc until Bioware fixes it. If they dont within a week or two im leaving this game behind honestly as a sub for months because there just isnt any excuse for this being this long in game.

Korithras's Avatar


Korithras
11.19.2012 , 03:48 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Scourn View Post
this is a common issue that many people are having and has been going on since 1.4 and they seem to be aware of it. It doest matter if you play in windowed or full screen it crashes to desktop when it goes over the amount of ram you have. Its a memory leak and so far no one seems to have a work around other than buying more ram for your pc until Bioware fixes it. If they dont within a week or two im leaving this game behind honestly as a sub for months because there just isnt any excuse for this being this long in game.
It's been around longer than 1.4, like I said I've experienced the problem since the game was in it's beta phase. But you're right, while I don't share your sentiments about leaving the game, it has gone on for far too long. There's no reason why a technical issue as large as this should take what is now almost a year to fix.