Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Immerision enhancer: Toggle saber core

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Immerision enhancer: Toggle saber core

Tim-ONeil
11.19.2012 , 12:35 PM | #1
Pink/Purple is not Star Wars.

So with the release of the cartel packs these terrible looking sabers are EVERYWHERE because of their high stats. For the people that actually appreciate the holy grail of Star Wars immersion, I.E the lightsaber, this is really an eye sore. Last night I did a BT run on a new BH and the other 3 people in the party all had the hideous saber. It's everywhere because it's best in slot for level 10-50

I'd like to see a toggle system (and I'd be willing to pay to unlock with coins it to cover dev costs) that will change all saber cores on my screen to a white internal core. This allows the person who thinks that the purple/pink or red/black saber looks awesome to see it on their screen without reminding me how silly it looks every time I see it. To me it would look purple with a while core or red with a while core. They still see the red/black that they wanted to see. I think this is might be quite popular as many people enjoy Star Wars lore and having the toggle appeases both audiences.

I realize that ugly sabers are here to stay but it really takes away from the connection with Star Wars. Swinging a saber from Candyland isn't inspiring.

To further clarify what I mean:

Examine this image from Dulfy. http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...talspanel3.jpg

The lightsabers on the left are star wars based, all lightsabers in the movies and star wars lore have a central white core with a colored outer glow. This is the case in each of the 6 movies.

The lightsabers on the right are NOT star wars, they are exactly what I would do if I wanted to have an item similar to a lightsaber in a non Star Wars licensed game if I was a game designer.

Notice how each of the black or colored cores has an opposite "cannon" version. The toggle I'm requesting will change the lightsaber on the right to the lightsaber on the left for people that desire it.

What it means to you if you like the ugly sabers. Absolutely nothing. You still see your awesome pink/purple popsicle and the people that don't want to look at it don't have to. It's a win win and will allow us to at least pretend that keeping a game 'Starwarsy' (one of the biggest complaints about SWG was it wasn't starwarsy enough ironically) is important to a portion of the fan base.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

Alec_Fortescue
11.19.2012 , 12:43 PM | #2
I hate the new sabers. They're really eye-hurting, especially the pink-purple :l

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...g?t=1270602388

They look like this!
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=788459&page=2 - Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

dark_wolf
11.19.2012 , 12:57 PM | #3
I use one for PVP, because its the best I can find, but I hate the color and I always equip a standard blue color for RP. I really don't know why Bioware went with that color choice it's terrible.

Wulox
11.19.2012 , 01:05 PM | #4
I for one love my pink-purple saber, makes them much easier to attain at lower levels as before there was literally no purple colored sabers for lower levels. Whilst some may not like it, others do and the game caters to a large audience all with different tastes. If you don't like them, don't use them, that's why there is a choice in what color crystal you can use.

SentinelDranoel
11.19.2012 , 01:06 PM | #5
Love it, I like unique colors on certain toons I create.
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic any day. 8/26/14 That was my old signature but after RotHC, I went back to superheroes and swords and magic. Now waiting on Dragon Age and a SWTOR story expac for my Bioware fix

LukeSaberRattler
11.19.2012 , 01:07 PM | #6
Just because you hate the color doesn't mean everyone else does. You don't like it don't use it simple as that.
The Harbinger
Skaviin lvl 55 Guardian -- Kappo lvl 55 Sniper -- Snozzberry lvl 55 Gunslinger -- Friendlyminion 55 lvl Marauder -- Skabiin lvl 55 Juggernaut -- FriendlyNPC lvl 18 Operative -- UnfriendlyNPC lvl 35 Sentinel

Cyberwoman
11.19.2012 , 01:10 PM | #7
For me, having a pink lightsaber has been a dream come true. You may not like it, but no one is forcing you to use that color. Just let us enjoy our colors and you can enjoy yours

Kendaric
11.19.2012 , 01:12 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wulox View Post
I for one love my pink-purple saber, makes them much easier to attain at lower levels as before there was literally no purple colored sabers for lower levels. Whilst some may not like it, others do and the game caters to a large audience all with different tastes. If you don't like them, don't use them, that's why there is a choice in what color crystal you can use.
The issue is that we are forced to see them, it's not about the crystals we use ourselves.

I'm in full support of a toggle such as the OP proposes, so Jedi/Sith on my screen look right at least in regards to the lightsabers.
(█⌉▀|▀|▀|▀[o]█]|▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Malastare
11.19.2012 , 01:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
Pink/Purple is not Star Wars.
Hear, hear!

The only acceptable colors for lightsabers are: Acid yellow, amber, amethyst, aqua, azure, black/white, blue, dark blue, icy blue, bright gold, bronze, bronze/yellow, brown, burgundy, carmine, clear, cobalt, crimson, cyan, cyan/silver, electric blue, emerald, gold, gray, green, dark green, jade, light green, sage, green/black, indigo, lava, magenta, orange, white, pewter, pink, purple, red, blood red, dark red, light red, sapphire, scarlet, sickly green, silver, silver-blue, silver-green, teal, violet, dark violet, light violet, viridian, yellow, dark yellow, light yellow, white-yellow, yellow-green, and yellow-orange.

Nowhere in that list is pink/purple, and I feel insulted that SWTOR would include such a slap-in-the-face diversion from SW lore.

Slurmez
11.19.2012 , 01:13 PM | #10
The pink purple is much more horrible to behold than it should be