Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

eldefail
11.18.2012 , 05:11 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick
FOUNDER
F2P has been hugely successful for LOTRO. Guess what. You get completely free access to the main "Fellowship" storyline. The quest packs you purchase are optional, they are not necessary to progress. EVERYBODY has to pay for expansion content, though.

Roshe
11.18.2012 , 05:13 PM | #22
Actually, if at any point you find yourself REQUIRING more than 2 bars, than you are playing SWTOR incorrectly. .
Who are you to tell ANYONE how to play or whether they're playing 'correctly' or not? Just because YOU think 2 bars is enough doesn't mean jack diddly squat to me. I like my 4 bars. They come in handy and I use them.

astrobearz
11.18.2012 , 05:15 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
He hit Poe's Law well enough and got a couple of bites, but I don't think he can keep it up - it's just not stupid enough.
huh i just learn something new tonight, thanks

annabethchase
11.18.2012 , 05:15 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Englefield View Post
FTP flashpoint and ops participation are heavily restricted (3 a week i think?) and if they're doing ops already they must be former subbers, who will be slightly more savvy and better geared. Besides, lack of sub is not related to ability in the slightest. This FTP lark leaves a lot to be desired, but let's not pretend there's a problem where there isn't one.
Well, at 3 chances per week, it does mean they are less able because they haven't practiced as much.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters

RycheMykola
11.18.2012 , 05:17 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
It's filled my flashpoint/sm ops groups full of people not capable of the content due to lack of gear and preparation.
Running 3 FP or OPs for F2P's a week isn't the cause of people lacking gear or preparation for you, its the subscribers that are clueless then.

Also, there is a limitation on the gear you can equip as a F2P and even limitations on quest rewards. So, if a F2P is undergeared, its by design, not by their choice. which, the only solution would be to make FP's even easier. Who wants that?????

Edit:
As the poster above states, how are you going to learn doing only 3 a week?

SamuraBob_Fl
11.18.2012 , 05:19 PM | #26
With the quickbar thing, I imagine what class you play has a lot to do with it.

Considering that my Arsenal Merc's core rotation in only 4 buttons, I could probably function at peak to near peak levels with just one quick bar.

My Juggernaut, on the other hand, couldn't do with less than 2, and even that'd probably be pushing it.
...they'd never come to see me in this dive, where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughing at the hippies, who are praying they'll get out of here alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bplt6CQ3MyE

Englefield
11.18.2012 , 05:20 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Well, at 3 chances per week, it does mean they are less able because they haven't practiced as much.
A bit like the rest of us when we all first started? A subscriber could join today and be at the same level so it's pointless blaming that on FTP

Doomsaga
11.18.2012 , 05:22 PM | #28
Hello Tatile,

FTP'rs HAVE to buy extra quick bars? Who told you that? A FTP'er is given, for free, two quickbars. I have played since Beta and can tell you, that although 4 bars are convenient, they are not necessary. Actually, if at any point you find yourself REQUIRING more than 2 bars, than you are playing SWTOR incorrectly. I agree that more than two is convenienet and a niceity, but two is really all you NEED to play.

When BW first announced the FTP restrictions, the FTP'er was only going to get one quickbar. At that time, I was on your side of the argument, as only having one bar would pretty much make the game unplayable before a person would hit 50. BW adjusted thier thinking, now you get the needed two. If you want more, then just pay the $2.00 bucks for the convenience of them.
They get two and have to buy more so YES they have to buy more toolbars learn to read.
Why isnt this game called Star Wars: The Old Empire?

Bobinator
11.18.2012 , 05:45 PM | #29
Enjoy your dead game Klarick
As of right now, i'm rash free.

RycheMykola
11.18.2012 , 05:49 PM | #30
Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick
FOUNDER
How about this, send them a check for $3.75 million a month to get rid of the F2P?

They didn't implement the F2P model because of how financially successful the game has been. Also, if you really been playing since the start, you don't cut servers down from over 70 to 8 because of success either.