Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

MicBenSte
11.21.2012 , 04:01 AM | #161
LMFAO - one of those whining elitists again?

F2P is very wrong set up. They should have adapted LOTRO's model, not EQ2's model - but yeah, EA likes it this way - greed much, down fast.

- Founder, (current) sub (although not renewing sub due to the whining behaviour of elitists in this game), pre-ordered SW:TOR - MicBenSte
* I could care less for this game due to A) the moneygrab EA put into SW:TOR&Bioware and B) the whining elitists who jump from MMO to MMO, destroying it in the process and then complain that it 'wasn't good enough'*

-Steph-
11.21.2012 , 05:30 AM | #162
Couldn't disagree more, I think they need to give more for free. The restrictions on game mechanics such as quick bars are too much, I think people should be able to play the main stories pretty much unhampered. Restrictions on endgame, character slots, banks, inventory, mail etc are fine but penalties on cash and XP is just ridiculous.

Once Bioware get themselves around to actually pumping out some real content updates and expansions they should feel free to charge F2P as they want, but the base game should be there to enjoy without restrictions. Surely its better to let someone enjoy the game, get hooked and have them pay for future content?
Aderil Sentinel
Brenni Commando
Tojil Shadow
The Solusar Legacy

XmaceukX
11.21.2012 , 06:07 AM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by -Steph- View Post
Couldn't disagree more, I think they need to give more for free. The restrictions on game mechanics such as quick bars are too much, I think people should be able to play the main stories pretty much unhampered. Restrictions on endgame, character slots, banks, inventory, mail etc are fine but penalties on cash and XP is just ridiculous.

Once Bioware get themselves around to actually pumping out some real content updates and expansions they should feel free to charge F2P as they want, but the base game should be there to enjoy without restrictions. Surely its better to let someone enjoy the game, get hooked and have them pay for future content?
I agree the quick slots and hide head slot and wear pink armour is just stupid but i do agree about the buying the game point as i bought the game then 3 months later its free seems a bit of a rip off and all they gave us was a few coins. I also don't mind the cash restrictions as this does entice players to spend to get the upper limits as i have done in a different f2p. Low xp just means a little extra time no hardship there.

Soluss
11.21.2012 , 06:11 AM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Karlick has a good point.

People moan and groan about F2P having less content than GW2, but GW2 cost me $64 after tax, SWTOR F2P? Costs $0.

I guess that old saying is true: you get what you pay for
ToR cost me 150 bucks plus 10 months at 15 bucks a month. Far more then I paid for GW2.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Trinos
11.21.2012 , 06:12 AM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
ToR cost me 150 bucks plus 10 months at 15 bucks a month. Far more then I paid for GW2.
Yeah the only reason why I sitll sub to swtor is for lightsabers and story GW2 cost less and offers more for free.

amnie
11.21.2012 , 06:31 AM | #166
as an owner of the CE who preordered the first day you were able to I demand I get 500 cartel coins extra every month, and on top of that a 'grand moff poobah' title on all my chars (yes, even republic)

not forgetting to mention I should be the only one able to use a 300% speeder

Soluss
11.21.2012 , 06:40 AM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
as an owner of the CE who preordered the first day you were able to I demand I get 500 cartel coins extra every month, and on top of that a 'grand moff poobah' title on all my chars (yes, even republic)

not forgetting to mention I should be the only one able to use a 300% speeder
I would also like the 'grand moff poobah' hat to go with the title. thank you.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

ConradLionhart
11.21.2012 , 06:41 AM | #168
I subscribed because I cannot live with 2 action bars.

But that's a terrible restriction to force me to subscribe. You could say it worked, because it made me sub. But it's still too strict.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

OddballEasyEight
11.21.2012 , 06:53 AM | #169
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick
FOUNDER
As a Founder and subscirber, i would ask you to first try playing a bit with this "free" version as it is much more restrictive than you think it is.
I tried playing F2P for a few days coming back after unsubbing for a few months, but the odd and silly restrictions really take away alot from the game. And paying to unlock that stuff for the account (not just that character) costs me more than 3 months worth of subscription does.
So i subscribed again instead.

I understand that you are concerned, since technically one could play through all 8 storylines without paying a dime. BUT, you would be severely hindered when doing so.
1: You earn less XP than a subscriber (30% less i believe), so you will have to do every single sidequest there is and still grind some mobs to stay with the leveling curve.
2: VERY limited access to space missions, flashpoints, operations and warzones, meaning you earn even less XP than subscribers do by simply missing out on those things.
3: only 2 quickbars. This might seem trivial, but trust me its not. When you get to level 20 it starts to get crowded on those 2 quickbars.
4: No field-revival. If you die (and you will, since you wont level properly) you have to spawn back at the medical station and then go all the way back to the place you died. (and you dont get access to speeders until Lvl 25, and sprint at lvl 15 i think).
5: Limited character customisation. This might seem like something unimportant, but it really isnt if you want to enjoy the game and not just "try the stories". You get access to only 3 races. And you cannot colour match your armour, so you'll have the same problem as we did at launch of looking like a clown for those first 30 or so levels. And you cannot use any titles, or show your legacy name.
6: Some quest items are apparantly simply not given to F2P players. Instead they get a lovely token "you would have gotten something here if you were a subscriber" icon. (kindof like a big middle finger)

So yeah, TECHNICALLY you can play through the game for free... but it will suck.

Go ahead, try it... i dare you.
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

amnie
11.21.2012 , 06:55 AM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
I would also like the 'grand moff poobah' hat to go with the title. thank you.
ohhh you're right. the hat is a must!