Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

Rayla_Felana
11.19.2012 , 04:56 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
Does anyone have a source of him being actually uncreative and using the Mandalorian's tactics? I think what everyone is refering to is the fact that lots of people died, like the Mandalorians were dying.... not that he used the same exact battle formation as the enemy.
Multiple characters in both games state exactly that.

The Mass Shadow Generator certainly seemed original and creative to me....
A superweapon? have you heard of the Great Sith War or....

Inzuher
11.19.2012 , 05:24 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by khayyinx View Post
Ok, here we go again, argue with the most all-knowing of star wars ever...
Oh, and **** G-canon, **** what George Lucas says, he doesn't even cares for what he says and the repercussion that it would have.
^^this.

Besides if Revan wasn't all that powerful he wouldn't have been able to one shoot a dark council member (Darth Nyriss) or stand up to The Sith Emporer (Darth Vitiate.)
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

MasterMe
11.19.2012 , 06:03 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzuher View Post
^^this.

Besides if Revan wasn't all that powerful he wouldn't have been able to one shoot a dark council member (Darth Nyriss) or stand up to The Sith Emporer (Darth Vitiate.)
^^ yup

Warren-Stride
11.19.2012 , 06:50 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Multiple characters in both games state exactly that.

A superweapon? have you heard of the Great Sith War or....
To quote another poster in this thread, character statements are non-canon.
If character statements aren't allowed to work for Revan they shouldn't be allowed to work against him.

*Shrug* It still was nowhere near any stragegy that the mandalorians used. That weapon literally won the war, and I don't think the Mandalorians could lay claim to "We thought of that first! QQ".

Rayla_Felana
11.19.2012 , 06:51 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzuher View Post
^^this.

He used Tutaminis to deflect her own built up dark power back at Nyriss and it instantly killed her and with the Emperor, the only time he hand the upper had is when he achieved a state of oneness with the force and blasted it at him, once that was done, the Emperor blasted him with Lightning nearly to death, T3 was destroyed saving him and then the Exile saved him as well, he did not hold his own at all. Without the force, T3 and the Exile backing him, he'd have died.

schwartzpedro
11.19.2012 , 06:54 AM | #66
I love both sides of the arguments here.
I'll just say "Nothing is true everything is permitted" and begone!

Rayla_Felana
11.19.2012 , 06:55 AM | #67
To quote another poster in this thread, character statements are non-canon.
If character statements aren't allowed to work for Revan they shouldn't be allowed to work against him.
They stated as fact that he used Mandalore's tactics back at him and it threw him off balance, opinion and fact are entirely different, these statements are backed up by the KotOR comic books and the Campaign Guide, which both state he used Mandalorian tactics with superior forces to win the war.

*Shrug* It still was nowhere near any strategy that the Mandalorians used. That weapon literally won the war, and I don't think the Mandalorians could lay claim to "We thought of that first! QQ".
Fair enough, but you called the use of superweapons original, it's nothing of the sort, look up the Dark Reaper.

Warren-Stride
11.19.2012 , 07:16 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
They stated as fact that he used Mandalore's tactics back at him and it threw him off balance, opinion and fact are entirely different, these statements are backed up by the KotOR comic books and the Campaign Guide, which both state he used Mandalorian tactics with superior forces to win the war.

Fair enough, but you called the use of superweapons original, it's nothing of the sort, look up the Dark Reaper.
So, if he did use their tactics, how did that win the war? What battles did it win? Did he only use them to throw the Mandalorians off, or was it his only strategy?
Also, Revan rose to stardom before he outnumbered the Mandalorians. He gained control of 1/3 of the Republic Fleet AFTER several displays of his brilliance. There is no way his forces could use Mandalorian tactics only with larger numbers when he had less than 1/3 of the Republic's forces.
The Mass Shadow Generator won the war, it literally crushed all of the Mandalorian fleet.

Well of course super-weapons aren't original, I'm just saying they're not a Mandalorian tactic. Actually, I still think it's an original idea to lure the enemy's fleet (as well as your own) to a planet and then destroy it. I don't think that's been done before.

Beniboybling
11.19.2012 , 12:34 PM | #69
Wow, when I first posted on this thread there were no posts. I was like, hey guess there won't be a flame war. How wrong I was.

But anyway, I'm a little puzzled about a few things, and I have a few arguments to make, so here goes:

1. Using both sides of the Force: apparently this is impossible, but what exactly are 'light side powers'. In my book, the light side of the Force, is just the Force and the dark side of the Force is a corrupted version of it (sort of, more like the extreme pinnacle of the Force which can only be achieved through corruption) So surely a master of the dark side, say Sidious, can use certain lightside powers? Again this comes down to what you define as a light side power. Wookiepedia for example lists 'force stun' as a lightside power - and yet I'm sure Sidious could use force stun with one hand and force lightining with the other simultaneously. It also lists Force blinding as light side, but surely a dark sider could use that too? Then there's malacia and moricho that Aurbere talked about. Of course with some powers it seems to make sense e.g. Force Valor, Wall of Light, Force healing and Force Light etcera. But what about the others, surely Revan could use those and dark side powers simultaneously. (And also, what exactly do you mean? are we talking about using them at the same time, or using one then switching to the other?) Clarification please!

2. The battle with Revan at the foundry. At first he fights like any Jedi, and then as the battle progresses he falls back on the dark side, doesn't this prove you wrong? Or would you say he was using the dark side all along? Oh, and may I add Aurbere & Co. that I'm afraid BioWare are against you on this one. Remember the duel with Revan at the Foundry? How he chucks meteors at you (could Yoda do that?) And remember how it kept saying stuff like 'Revan has become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!' and remember, this ones important 'Revan has become more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of' Yes, yes I know, it doesn't really count. But still, these are the writers talking here, the guys that made Revan, and they seem to think he was super, super tough. May I also add that at this point he glows yellowy/white indicating oneness with the light side of the Force, only later to start using force lightning. Basically what I'm saying is that while you guys may think your in the right and educating all these Revan fanboi's, you have to consider it may be the reverse and that Revan is super tough and you just don't want to accept it. After all, what evidence is there to suggest he is not? (Yes that is a challenge

(Oh and please explain your explanation for Revan's become one with the force yada yada in the Revan novel - not sure I fully understand)

3. Revan and his battle tactics. From what I gather from these posts, Revan was pretty smart to use the Mandalorian's tactics against them and Malachor V was a stroke of (sort of twisted) genius. And no one yet has discussed the Jedi Civil War, he was winning. But hey, he had Malak, Karath etcera to back him up. So I'd say he wasn't a tactical genius, but a highly skilled tactician compared to other Jedi. What do you think? (I think its time to find some common ground)

P.S. I am not a Revan Fanboi, come on I'm too caught up in by Kreia Fanboism to deal with that. I'm just trying to establish some ground here.

Airmo
11.19.2012 , 01:29 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Wow, when I first posted on this thread there were no posts. I was like, hey guess there won't be a flame war. How wrong I was.
You foolish fool! This is a thread about Revan, of course there was going to be flaming.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."