Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 08:27 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I'll ignore the tone for the sake of knowledge...

Character statements are non-canon because they do not come from an official source. Official meaning George, Chee etc. Written Characters are not official sources.

Refer to a sourcebook for more accurate information on certain characters.
I fail to see why character statements aren't canon. Seems very silly to me.

As for the "official source" thing, if something isn't canon if it doesn't come from a official source then Revan himself is not canon. If this is your logic then why are you even talking about Revan?

Can we not accept the quotes as canon? If quotes aren't canon then we really know nothing about Revan and this isn't worth debating.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.18.2012 , 08:35 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
I fail to see why character statements aren't canon. Seems very silly to me.

As for the "official source" thing, if something isn't canon if it doesn't come from a official source then Revan himself is not canon. If this is your logic then why are you even talking about Revan?

Can we not accept the quotes as canon? If quotes aren't canon then we really know nothing about Revan and this isn't worth debating.
I don't make the rules

Revan exists in the continuity. All video games are an official source in the continuity. What happens in the game is canon. At least the Light Side stuff in the KOTOR games are.

We know plenty about Revan. His actions are depicted in KOTOR and works surrounding him. We base what we know off of Revan's actions, not what people say about him.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 08:40 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I don't make the rules

Revan exists in the continuity. All video games are an official source in the continuity. What happens in the game is canon. At least the Light Side stuff in the KOTOR games are.

We know plenty about Revan. His actions are depicted in KOTOR and works surrounding him. We base what we know off of Revan's actions, not what people say about him.
I'm not saying that you're wrong - I'm just saying that the canon system is stupid in this since.

If the game is canon, then the things that people say in the game should be canon as well. That just plain doesn't make since. Oh well, I give up.

Joronas's Avatar


Joronas
11.18.2012 , 08:42 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
I fail to see why character statements aren't canon. Seems very silly to me.

As for the "official source" thing, if something isn't canon if it doesn't come from a official source then Revan himself is not canon. If this is your logic then why are you even talking about Revan?

Can we not accept the quotes as canon? If quotes aren't canon then we really know nothing about Revan and this isn't worth debating.
Character quotes can never be canon. It should be pretty obvious why.. I mean, the characters can be wrong. They're characters. They can also change their mind, or lie. Or simply favour specific styles of tactics.. and remember, a genius is someone who agrees with you. Any mandalorian saying someone is a brilliant tactician, with their lust for glorious combat and general contempt for life and disregard for casualties, should be translated as 'someone who takes insane risks and throws away lives'. Not 'tactical genius'. Tactically and strategically sound.. maybe.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.18.2012 , 08:47 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
I'm not saying that you're wrong - I'm just saying that the canon system is stupid in this since.

If the game is canon, then the things that people say in the game should be canon as well. That just plain doesn't make since. Oh well, I give up.
The canon system is complicated, but organized. I must give props to Leland Chee for keeping the universe organized.

The game and its events are canon. The personalities and backstories of the characters are canon, but what they say about other characters are not. So let's take Canderous praising Revan for his tactics. This would be categorized as a character statement. Now if Canderous talked about Mission Vao and how he feels about her, that would be an opinion and fall into his character and personality. That would be canon.

Confusing, I know. And I would rather we stop discussing character statements and focus on what Revan does.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 08:51 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
The canon system is complicated, but organized. I must give props to Leland Chee for keeping the universe organized.

The game and its events are canon. The personalities and backstories of the characters are canon, but what they say about other characters are not. So let's take Canderous praising Revan for his tactics. This would be categorized as a character statement. Now if Canderous talked about Mission Vao and how he feels about her, that would be an opinion and fall into his character and personality. That would be canon.

Confusing, I know. And I would rather we stop discussing character statements and focus on what Revan does.
OH!! *light bulb turns on*

You mean that Canderous's statement isn't canon because it's an opinion? That makes much more since! That's all I've been saying. Canderous's opinion is that Revan is a tactical genius. Okay, glad we're on the same page now (I think).

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.18.2012 , 08:53 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
OH!! *light bulb turns on*

You mean that Canderous's statement isn't canon because it's an opinion? That makes much more since! That's all I've been saying. Canderous's opinion is that Revan is a tactical genius. Okay, glad we're on the same page now (I think).
I think we're on the same page. We can't take Canderous' statement about Revan's tactics because they are only his opinion. So they really hold no weight in a debate of this type.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 09:16 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I think we're on the same page. We can't take Canderous' statement about Revan's tactics because they are only his opinion. So they really hold no weight in a debate of this type.
That's not entirely true. Yes, it's just a opinion, but an opinion (especially that of a warrior) can be used in this since. No it's not canon, but it indicates that Revan was a great tactician. Notice I said "indicates".

Warren-Stride's Avatar


Warren-Stride
11.18.2012 , 09:26 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I think we're on the same page. We can't take Canderous' statement about Revan's tactics because they are only his opinion. So they really hold no weight in a debate of this type.
I don't fully understand how anyone can be a tactical genius then.... if it all comes down to opinion.

Revan used direct tactics that, while the casualty rate was high, won the war. Why is the opinion that that is a bad strategy any more valid than the opinion that it is a good one?

The Echani and Mandalorians liked his tactics, and the Jedi did not....who are we to have an opinion of which opinion is right?

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.18.2012 , 09:27 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
That's not entirely true. Yes, it's just a opinion, but an opinion (especially that of a warrior) can be used in this since. No it's not canon, but it indicates that Revan was a great tactician. Notice I said "indicates".
Now we're going backwards. Canderous' opinion holds as much weight in this particular conversation as Mission's. We cannot base our arguments off of a character's opinion.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."