Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.19.2012 , 08:21 PM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
Aurbere, you need to stop posting about Revan. You simply can't talk about him without letting your obvious bias against his character show.

I have no problem with the idea that he hasn't mastered both sides of the force or that he doesn't use them both simultaneously. These are, quite frankly, semantic issues. I don't mind you favoring Mace Windu in a duel. I think that is certainly a logical opinion, though you took it a bit far with the hyperbole about Revan crying. But when you say he isn't a master tactician, you do so in direct conflict with what we see and hear in the games and the novels.

Canderous doesn't just say that Revan is a master tactician, he essentially credits him for single-handedly winning the war with his tactics and by besting Mandalore himself in the final battle. "Character statements aren't canon," is a cop-out. Yes, this is an opinion statement. But we have no reason not to believe that Canderous' opinion isn't valid. In fact, given that he is praising an enemy, we have every reason to believe what he says. Kreia's statements similarly portray Revan as a tactical genius as do the statements of other characters. His leadership turned around the war. Discounting that achievement by saying he used the Madalorians' tactics against them is similarly ludicrous. You make it sound as if he stole some sort of secret Madalorian playbook. All he did was make smart tactical decisions, sacrificing planets when necessary for the greater war effort. These aren't Mandalorian tactics so much as they are generally sound military planning. By any measure, Revan is a master tactician.

As for his other abilities, we know he bested Mandalore and Malak in duels. Malak was leading an entire army of Sith at the time, none of whom could best him. We are told Revan was one of the finest duelists of his era. We know he had a considerable connection to the force that not only allowed him to defeat opponents but also to redeem many of them. He redeemed Ajunta Paul's ghost, among other things. These are not the achievements of a better than average Jedi.

No, Revan is not some end-all force God like Luke Skywalker. But he is the leading Jedi of his era. He is clearly a powerful Jedi with unique and strong ability in the Force. Trying to constantly downplay him as you do comes across like you have some sort of axe to grind. You need to take a few deep breaths.
You hit the nail on the head there! I needn't say anything more here.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.19.2012 , 08:22 PM | #182
Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
All good generals are active however it doesn't mean they are tactical geniuses. Most good leaders are Jack of all trades they know something about everything but are masters of none. However they put the masters in position to do the most good.
That's actually a very good point.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.19.2012 , 08:26 PM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Do you understand how the commander-in-chief role works? you don't give out orders or get involved with all your generals' business, you assign targets and long term strategies and take requests from your commanders, admirals and generals, you then decide what goes where and work with them to have the bigger picture mapped out, that's the role.

Generals and commanders give out the actual orders and form most of the battle plans, which they then basically hand in like an essay and they are implemented or ignored, the only battle we know was properly planned by Revan was Malachor V and the use of the MSG, which he entrusted to the Exile to get done.
I agree with this. Altough I think Revan was slightly more involoved then what you just said.

Genuine's Avatar


Genuine
11.19.2012 , 09:30 PM | #184
Quote:
A tactical genius uses their OWN tactics to gain victory. Revan ripped off the Mandalorian's tactics during the war. He did not create tactics to defeat them. In this sense, we should call Mandalore the tactical genius as it was his strategies that Revan employed.
Have to say using some ones tactics against them and winning sounds like a tactical genius to me lol also as fare as i remember wasn't the republic get there *** kicked before Revan came along ? and wasn't the Jedi that followed him mostly Padawans like him self at the time ?
BIOWARE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS THREAD Collectors edition vendor

Swarlesx's Avatar


Swarlesx
11.19.2012 , 09:37 PM | #185
Its been awhile since I played KOTOR and I can't remember everything about the game but isn't there a sith that says their army started losing more battles after Malek took control?

Swarlesx's Avatar


Swarlesx
11.19.2012 , 09:38 PM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by Genuine View Post
Have to say using some ones tactics against them and winning sounds like a tactical genius to me lol also as fare as i remember wasn't the republic get there *** kicked before Revan came along ? and wasn't the Jedi that followed him mostly Padawans like him self at the time ?
I believe Revan was a knight at the time but he targeted padawans because it was easier to get them to leave the order.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.19.2012 , 09:43 PM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by Swarlesx View Post
I believe Revan was a knight at the time but he targeted padawans because it was easier to get them to leave the order.
He also got Kavar, who was a very skilled Jedi Master and helped secure many victories during the war.
Added Chapter 44 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Genuine's Avatar


Genuine
11.19.2012 , 09:55 PM | #188
well does the fact that a jedi master following revan against the wishes of the order not tell us something about revan too.
BIOWARE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS THREAD Collectors edition vendor

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.19.2012 , 09:59 PM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by Genuine View Post
well does the fact that a jedi master following revan against the wishes of the order not tell us something about revan too.
Yes it does. It tells us that he was very charismatic and could get people on his side. But I think Kavar joined the war because he couldn't sit back any longer.

What we can say for Revan is his ability to lead. He rallied the Jedi against the Mandalorians and saved the Republic. He's a great leader. He was also very smart. He knew that many of his allies were very smart and put them in positions to play to their strengths. Revan had the best the Republic had to offer and used them to gain victory in the war.
Added Chapter 44 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Swarlesx's Avatar


Swarlesx
11.19.2012 , 10:43 PM | #190
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Yes it does. It tells us that he was very charismatic and could get people on his side. But I think Kavar joined the war because he couldn't sit back any longer.

What we can say for Revan is his ability to lead. He rallied the Jedi against the Mandalorians and saved the Republic. He's a great leader. He was also very smart. He knew that many of his allies were very smart and put them in positions to play to their strengths. Revan had the best the Republic had to offer and used them to gain victory in the war.
I honestly think we see more of his smarts during the Jedi Civil War. He basically took the Republics greatest strength (The Jedi) and turned it against them and instead of leveling cities (like Malek) he captured them and used their resources so that he would not have to depend heavily on the Star Forge.