Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

Aurbere
11.19.2012 , 06:54 PM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
That is one aspect of it however to use it in a duel, you would have to be able to switch it on or have it on at all times. There really isn't any time to have visions and realizations in a fast pace duel. However shatterpoint is suppose to show you the weak points in a defense. If Windu's shatterpoint was as powerful as some claim then he would know that there was no good outcome and gone into exile like Yoda
I believe Mace Windu saw Shatterpoints at all times. Just looking at someone would show him their weaknesses. He saw Shatterpoints in all things: people, events, even the problems of everyday life.

Windu couldn't let Sidious just take control. Something had to be done, there wasn't time to think of all the outcomes. Sidious had to be stopped and he was the only man available, and capable, of doing so.
Added Chapter 49 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere
11.19.2012 , 06:56 PM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Actually that's exactly what Windu had in the duel, he realised that Sidious feared him and that he trusted Anakin to save him, but he immediately had another shatterpoint where he realised that Sidious was tricking him by reflecting Anakin's fear off of himself and once he'd realised what was really going on, Anakin was in the middle of disarming him.
I can't believe you said that!

But yeah, Mace Windu saw right through Sidious. He realized that he was being played, but couldn't stop it in time.

He was, however, the victor in the duel. Evidenced by Sidious being disarmed and huddling in the corner.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Rayla_Felana
11.19.2012 , 06:57 PM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I can't believe you said that!

Airmo
11.19.2012 , 06:59 PM | #174
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Do you understand how the commander-in-chief role works? you don't give out orders or get involved with all your generals' business, you assign targets and long term strategies and take requests from your commanders, admirals and generals, you then decide what goes where and work with them to have the bigger picture mapped out, that's the role.

Generals and commanders give out the actual orders and form most of the battle plans, which they then basically hand in like an essay and they are implemented or ignored, the only battle we know was properly planned by Revan was Malachor V and the use of the MSG, which he entrusted to the Exile to get done.
But he wasn't the commander-in-chief and he did plan strategies. I didn't say he was watching over everything his general's did through some magic mirror and telling them what to do every step of the way. He told them where to go and such like you said but if he was there he would be giving them orders. =/

Yes that we know, so you don't know if there were others. And yes he told the Exile to tell the other guy to press the button yep.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."

steaktrooper
11.19.2012 , 07:02 PM | #175
Revan is oftentimes, an overrated character. While he was strong, he wasn't all-powerful and invincible. He had his flaws, like everyone else does. That is my opinion.
Lembar Romdoro Agenros Cavteff
Sith Covenant / Jedi Covenant @ The Harbinger

Aurbere
11.19.2012 , 07:06 PM | #176
Quote: Originally Posted by steaktrooper View Post
Revan is oftentimes, an overrated character. While he was strong, he wasn't all-powerful and invincible. He had his flaws, like everyone else does. That is my opinion.
Quoted for truth.

khayyinx
11.19.2012 , 07:07 PM | #177
1. How can someone be a master of something? Good question. The answer is not simple. Mastery requires the most serious mind. To show an unparelled control/use of an ability/skill. Being a Jedi Master does not make you a master of the Light Side. Obi-Wan is not a master of the Light Side. Mastering the Force is not something you can do. It requires you to be the picture of peace, tranquility. Mastering the Dark Side is even more difficult. The Dark Side becomes the master in almost every case.

2. They praised his use of tactics. Tactics that they themselves use. He used their own tactics to beat them. That's why they praised him. He used their tactics, not only that, but he bested them with it. No wonder they praised him!

3. What am I talking about? No need to get angry. Revan was absolutely corrupted by the Dark energies of Malachor V. He could not control these energies. They controlled him. Revan can't fathom what it takes to control the Dark Side. The Dark powers that he used would have corrupted him. That is what the Dark Side does. He doesn't have the mental discipline to control Dark powers.
1- Since all this mastery thing is much subjective, we can agree that he was very very powerfull and one of the most powerfull force user of his time. You can't disagree with that, it's stated everytime in Kotor and by everyone. For you revan haters that only cares for canon, this is canon!

2- Yeah, still a very good tactician.

3- No on have, not just the mind but also the physical body that gets all corrupted.

About the versus thing, you guys take that all wrong. I bet no one would ever say that sidious could be beated by darth vader. And he couldn't. But he was beated by him! I don't care if he was distracted, he should have sensed the light side in vader, or just reacted with his light speed movements, or at least use the force tohang in something before falling in the pit.
So, you could say that sidious, yoda etc are more powerfull than revan, but never say that one would wipe the floor with anyone as smart and powerfull as revan. It's just like spiderman, venom have all spider-man power and is a LOT stronger, agile etc. But spiderman always find a way to win.

To conclude, what makes Revan my favorite character isn't him being controled by me in kotor. Just name a character that:

- Is charismatic
- Use both sides of the force
- Defied the jedi council and had a wife
- Is a good tactician, pilot, engineer
- ****** looks
- Very powerfull

The closest we have is vader, but he can't use all force powers (lightning) and is a bit slow in lightsaber combat ( i really like acrobatics fights).
Well, got a lot of topic here, but i made my argument.

Wallner
11.19.2012 , 07:10 PM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by steaktrooper View Post
I've never heard anyone say he was all-powerful and invincible. Noone is ^^
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Jorus (Guardian) -Zakarus (Sorcerer) -Kavin (Mercenary)

MasterMe
11.19.2012 , 08:13 PM | #179
This is actually a good point as Revan would not have been nearly as successful without the likes of Karath, Kavar, and Surik. Without them, the war could have taken a whole different turn.

Revan would have still employed the "aggression" strategy, but without great leaders to execute it successfully, the Mandalorians could have outmaneuvered the Republic fleet.
The games did not give this much credit to the generals you named (I'm not saying that they weren't great generals). The games did however point to Revan.

Aurbere
11.19.2012 , 08:16 PM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
The games did not give this much credit to the generals you named (I'm not saying that they weren't great generals). The games did however point to Revan.
There's more to the Mandalorian Wars than the KOTOR games. Check out the KOTOR sourcebook and comics surrounding the war.