Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

For BioWare from russian community

Trollokdamus
11.18.2012 , 10:51 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DMSL View Post
Though what is stopping you from learning English?
Many people here still don't need English in their everyday life, so they just cba. And learning it in order to just play a video game is not really motivating. Though over time it becomes more and more popular and at some places even mandatory, so you can expect to see more English-speaking Russians in near future.

On topic, i can quote myself from a different thread:
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
Actually, on top of F2P, translating the text part of the game to different languages will help Bioware attract much more people. No need to bother with UI, abilities and so on, just dialogues and quest log. As an example, i've personally seen many people who were willing to give this game a try if it would ever have the story part in Russian.

heechJunzi
11.18.2012 , 10:54 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DMSL View Post
I do support what you are saying, but i don't expect it to be full russian, just subtitles and other text.

Though what is stopping you from learning English?
What is stopping you from learning Russian? That.
Junzi - EWH Sentinel Buxi - EWH Commando Jünzi - EWH Operative
----------- The Harbinger -----------

Altheran
11.18.2012 , 11:05 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ThuaThal View Post
+1 support from Denmark. I have never understood why they have bothered with French and German (of whom most of our generation speaks fine English although they won't admit it) and not Spanish and Russian? Seems very odd.
As a French, I can assure you that most of French are terrible at speaking in foreign languages. Most of my people are really lazy at studying at school and so are terrible in English. From my experience at College/University (and a year ago I was there), hardly 30% of the students have a grade over 10/20 in english on tests of High school level. However, in these 30% who have grades over 10/20, many like me have consistantly grades over 15/20 and more if the tests are about reading/writing only.

darkderprimus
11.18.2012 , 11:31 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by heechJunzi View Post
What is stopping you from learning Russian? That.
Yeah, learn Russian, lazy anglos. Our language is far better than yours

Quote: Originally Posted by TheAkumurA View Post
Hello, dear BioWare. Undoubtedly swtor are very good game and f2p model attracted lots of players in game. But you plan to lo localize the game for russian players?
OP, haven't you played other Bioware games with Russian translation? It was awful, even as subtitles. I'd expect translation of the MMO to be even more abominable, and they also might get this funny idea to force it upon all Russian players, not leave it as an option. At least some D3 Russian players who bought full version of the game (not cheap regional one) were forced to play with Russian translation and weren't able to switch to any other language - and Russian version of this game is really poorly done. Pardon me, but I'd rather see our comrades learning foreign languages.

Not to mention that move to the f2p-model and addition of the cash shop means that the game don't have any resources to spend on translation.

lexasaniaalex
11.18.2012 , 11:45 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by darkderprimus View Post
Yeah, learn Russian, lazy anglos. Our language is far better than yours

OP, haven't you played other Bioware games with Russian translation? It was awful, even as subtitles. I'd expect translation of the MMO to be even more abominable, and they also might get this funny idea to force it upon all Russian players, not leave it as an option. At least some D3 Russian players who bought full version of the game (not cheap regional one) were forced to play with Russian translation and weren't able to switch to any other language - and Russian version of this game is really poorly done. Pardon me, but I'd rather see our comrades learning foreign languages.

Not to mention that move to the f2p-model and addition of the cash shop means that the game don't have any resources to spend on translation.
For you it's a terrible translation but for me - great. So this is empty talk, including your assumptions about the financial position of the company. About the translation SWTOR - Yes,I would like it too, although I have no problem with translation, but, if there were Russian subtitles - it would be very cool!
Tram-pam-pam-pam-pam-pa-ram!)

Mcky
11.18.2012 , 11:48 AM | #26
Thumbs up for a translation and more players!

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.18.2012 , 12:03 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Mcky View Post
Thumbs up for a translation and more players!
I believe the original native Sith language is in fact Russian.

They should just keep their original language in, as an option to English.

FINNT
11.18.2012 , 12:43 PM | #28
Russian subtitles would be good, that way you can still learn english. I don't understand who wouldn't want to learn one of the most spoken (2. most spoken maybe) and helpful languages in the world.

P.S. I don't live even in the "neighbour" of USA, UK, Australia, Canada or New Zealand. So this isn't me standing up for "home" in itself.

P.P.S. Maybe someone should ask Bioware their opinion on Russian community translation project.
:laser:

ChazDoit
11.18.2012 , 12:48 PM | #29
Kirov reporting

TheAkumurA
11.20.2012 , 07:19 AM | #30
And what is answer from BioWare?