Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Policy for Non English Speakers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Policy for Non English Speakers

Elysith
11.18.2012 , 04:31 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by chimex View Post
Oddly enough, this was the topic of some friction on TOFN last night, on Balmorra. I wonder if it was the OP being harassed in general.

Someone took it upon themselves to voice their dislike of other languages being spoken openly on an English server. (S)he did in fact say it was against ToS. The reasoning, "it promotes fear." I would like to take this opportunity to say how disgusting that person was.
Here are a couple of "reasons" the person gave as to why everybody should speak English on an English server:

English is the worldwide accepted language: No, it really isn't. nor is it the most popular language spoken. If I was to go to, say, France, do you know what language everybody there would be speaking? That's right, French! Of course, you could argue that most of Europe speaks English. It doesn't, in Europe, there are pockets of people who speak English, and they are being damned courteous to do so for nothing more than English speaking peoples benefit. In short, Europe spoils English speakers.
In Asia, English does not get you nearly as far as it would in Europe, despite what evidence of Asians living in an English speaking country you may try to think of.

They can speak to each other in any language they fancy in private, not in General: I beg your pardon! You are actually demonstrating your desire to disallow the rights of communication within the gaming platform you use on a daily basis. You have no say about what goes on in General chat. That statement alone shows you as a bully and bigoted little thug, I doubt it would sit well with you if the shoe was on the other foot.

They are filling the chat with their language: Aren't we all? After all, isn't that what its there for. If you object to it as much as you are voicing, you are welcome to use the ignore button. However, you do not have the right to harass someone openly about their home tongue, that is against ToS. If you do not agree to that, maybe you shouldn't be playing.

There's nothing stopping them from learning English: Well no, there is not. However, there is nothing stopping you from learning Gaelic (in the OP case.) There is also nothing stopping them from free speaking in their own language. They have the right to do so, and the only thing stopping you enjoying peace of mind about the matter is yourself.

This is an English server: Yes it is, and it appears you have no problem pointing that out at every possible opportunity. However, there is no part of the ToS that states people must speak the language the server denotes. Not every language is represented by servers, please point out where someone could find an Italian server for example, or a Spanish server. As you have guessed, there are no such servers. The servers are segregated not just for recommended language, but global positioning for maximum performance. If that were not true, we wouldn't have USA servers and English servers separately, would we. Like you, everybody has the freedom and the right to choose to play on any server they wish. Someday you may wish to play on a different regional server. Why not, you have every right to do so without fear of harassment or petty bullying. It is the Internet, the world is a much smaller place than it used to be.

BW/EA should make a Russian/Spanish/Italian/Klingon server: Yes, that is certainly an option. However, the simplest solution is for you to get off your horse and both respect and understand that many people lead vastly different lives from your own. The only negativity in this situation is whatever negativity you bring, none other.

In short, it's not the person speaking (in the OP case) Gaelic that's the issue, nor is it an issue stemming from BW/EA. The problem lies with the person objecting to others enjoying the same game they are playing.

As for the person on TOFN, I suspect they were reported. (and rightly so!)

x
+1 That's it

Glower
11.18.2012 , 06:04 PM | #42
A very long time was a yellow post. Briefly - they do not mind against other languages ​​in the chat!
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)