Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Policy for Non English Speakers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Policy for Non English Speakers

Macheath
11.18.2012 , 05:20 AM | #11
There's room in ToR for everyone. I believe the OP said they were speaking Gaelic. Since there are no dedicated servers for Gaelic speakers, they have no choice but to join a server where the native language is foreign to them. The rest of the server community has an obligation to welcome these players in and show some understanding.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

grombrinda
11.18.2012 , 05:27 AM | #12
And here we go.....
Wait till the BR get here
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

DMSL
11.18.2012 , 05:33 AM | #13
The server is English for a reason. Whatever language you speak if you are in a guild or private it's your choice what you speak. In general/public however it is nice of you to talk English so the others know what you are talking about. It's only polite.

SamuraBob_Fl
11.18.2012 , 05:40 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by grombrinda View Post
And here we go.....
Wait till the BR get here
Oh how I do not want a repeat of that clusterfuffle.
...they'd never come to see me in this dive, where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughing at the hippies, who are praying they'll get out of here alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bplt6CQ3MyE

Gomla
11.18.2012 , 06:28 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
There's room in ToR for everyone. I believe the OP said they were speaking Gaelic. Since there are no dedicated servers for Gaelic speakers, they have no choice but to join a server where the native language is foreign to them. The rest of the server community has an obligation to welcome these players in and show some understanding.

-Macheath.
I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of people who know Gaelic also know English.

Gaelic being Scotland and Ireland then.

Scovina
11.18.2012 , 06:48 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SilentKitty View Post
A add is no problem for me. But long conversations in general in a different language is quite a different thing. If one wishes to only speak in a different language than English then join a guild that let's you do that. Or that is at least what I did, I'm in a Swedish guild. Swedish for guild-chatt and English for general.
I don't even see an issue with a long conversation. The channel isn't called English Speakers only it's called general. And in general there are a ton of different languages spoken. I give 0 ****s if English is the most prevalent language. I see no rules outlined saying that you have to type in any specific language. You are entitled to do as you wish just as the OP and his co-pilot are entitled to do as they wish as long as it falls in line with the TOS and EULA as defined from EA's perspective not ours.

To the OP let them report you as if a response is sent out it will be to admonish the one that reported you. I know because it happened to a friend of mine in game that did the same.

FerrusPA
11.18.2012 , 06:52 AM | #17
I find it impolite to hold conversations in a language others don't understand. But then again I'm also strongly against specifically French and German servers because they serve as a ghetto and reinforce the language barrier.
December Pre-Order Best Pre-Order
Proud Guildmaster of Two Swords One Box. Apply now!

Thread = Faden Threat = Drohung

Jandi
11.18.2012 , 06:55 AM | #18
I think you should speak whatever language you wish, it's no skin off my back because I will just put you on ignore permanently. Even if you speak my native language. People that don't have the common sense and decency to use a language everyone should understand are, in my PERSONAL experience, complete jerks anyways, so it's a great filter for people you don't want to have anything to do with in the first place.

Fornix
11.18.2012 , 07:19 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by FerrusPA View Post
I find it impolite to hold conversations in a language others don't understand.
Well, considering as to how not everybody speaks English, it is impolite according your terms to hold any conversation at all.
Member of <Helix>

FerrusPA
11.18.2012 , 07:29 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
Well, considering as to how not everybody speaks English, it is impolite according your terms to hold any conversation at all.
Literalism is a thing, I guess.
December Pre-Order Best Pre-Order
Proud Guildmaster of Two Swords One Box. Apply now!

Thread = Faden Threat = Drohung