Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Policy for Non English Speakers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Policy for Non English Speakers

Sentanta
11.16.2012 , 10:08 AM | #1
Just want to ask because I cant see anything in the T & C's about this - what is policy on languages used on servers?

There is only English - German and French servers - but there is many other languages and nationalities that play - I have just responded to a fellow national in our native language and I got a whisper from some player saying that if I don't use English I will be reported because it is an English server!

Can someone tell me what the official policy is please?
“Good against remotes is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.”

A home for SWG vets!

FearlessXIII
11.16.2012 , 10:14 AM | #2
Can't immagine a reason for not allowing pepole to chat in whatever tounge they want.

just out of curiosity, wat language ware you chatting in?
Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic.

- Florance Ambrose

TheNahash
11.16.2012 , 10:19 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Sentanta View Post
Just want to ask because I cant see anything in the T & C's about this - what is policy on languages used on servers?

There is only English - German and French servers - but there is many other languages and nationalities that play - I have just responded to a fellow national in our native language and I got a whisper from some player saying that if I don't use English I will be reported because it is an English server!

So what?
Let them report you.
There is no official policy regarding English servers. People are expected to speak English, because it's a language that pretty much everyone knows (to some extent), but there are no rules against speaking in your own language. I personally rarely use mine in general because I think it's inappropriate and a bit rude to say things "in public" that most people will not understand (even if it's not about them).

But no, you won't get punished for speaking your language in general chat, as long as you are not using your language to offend others (e.g. cussing)

ZeroPlus
11.16.2012 , 11:30 AM | #4

Not saying that you whoever whispered you was in the right, but I do understand where they are coming from.

I'm not a native English speaker but in the common chat channels (General/Trade/etc...) I only speak English. If I see someone asking something in my language in one of these channels, I whisper them with the answer. It's a question of good manners.

If you want to have a private conversation with someone, whisper them. If you want to have conversation with 2 or more people create a chat channel. It's easy, just use
/cjoin channelname
and tell your friends to do the same. (Take a look here and here for more information.)
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

Andryah
11.16.2012 , 11:32 AM | #5

You can speak any langauage on any server. There is no Spanish server.... but people are on servers speaking Spanish.

The language tags for servers just let you know what the population and likely language of players in game will be speaking.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

Sentanta
11.17.2012 , 02:46 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessXIII View Post
Can't immagine a reason for not allowing pepole to chat in whatever tounge they want.

just out of curiosity, wat language ware you chatting in?
It was Gaelic - someone asked a question and I responded - it wasn't a full blown conversation or anything - just one question and one answer!

Thanks for all the replies guys!
“Good against remotes is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.”

A home for SWG vets!

KurganNazzir
11.17.2012 , 03:14 AM | #7
It was Gaelic - someone asked a question and I responded - it wasn't a full blown conversation or anything - just one question and one answer!

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Ignore the bigots who seem to think everyone should only speak/type variants of english. As others said, it's a courtesy to use the main language of the server for the majority of public chatting but there are no rules against typing in other languages and no one should ever feel like they can't say something in a language other than english. In fact, if someone harasses you or others over this, report them. I've reported several players for attacking others who type one lousy recruitment ad in their native language, one freaking ad and these bigots jump all over the person and their perceived nationality with racist comments.
Dark Eclipse
GAF

SilentKitty
11.18.2012 , 04:50 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KurganNazzir View Post
Ignore the bigots who seem to think everyone should only speak/type variants of english. As others said, it's a courtesy to use the main language of the server for the majority of public chatting but there are no rules against typing in other languages and no one should ever feel like they can't say something in a language other than english. In fact, if someone harasses you or others over this, report them. I've reported several players for attacking others who type one lousy recruitment ad in their native language, one freaking ad and these bigots jump all over the person and their perceived nationality with racist comments.
A add is no problem for me. But long conversations in general in a different language is quite a different thing. If one wishes to only speak in a different language than English then join a guild that let's you do that. Or that is at least what I did, I'm in a Swedish guild. Swedish for guild-chatt and English for general.

Darth_Mallek
11.18.2012 , 05:15 AM | #9
Excuse me, but I didn´t know that the money that I pay to Bioware every month since the first day of existence of this game had a "language or nationality restriction policy". You have every right to speak in whatever language you wish, so as KurganNazzir said before if someone is harassing you by being a racist bigot just report them.

Just remember people that ideals of "good manners" or "courtesy" , as some people quoted above, is very subjective to a lot of people. The same way that some people think it should be forbidden to speak any language other than english, just remember that for other people is considered very rude to have english or any other language forced to them... lots of nationalities are playing this game, so stop being a racist with xenophobic behaviors and let´s all play and enjoy. Peace.

Fornix
11.18.2012 , 05:19 AM | #10
Till the day EA/BioWare makes official non-English language servers for the other languages, I keep on concidering the EU servers as international. And as such, all langauges allowed. There's no regulations against it on top of it.
Member of <Helix>