Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Crayghe
01.12.2013 , 09:02 PM | #41
The clunky version of what I'm seeing at the moment is the game just slowing down once I'm in game. Logging in, my connection seems fine. Choosing a character, still fine. Once a character is in game, my connections is just red. My question, without knowing any better, is what (in Windows 8?) is blocking the signal?

For the moment, I've just gone to playing on the laptop - since, well, the game works (on a Windows 7 system). It's a waste of what seemed to be a perfectly good gaming rig, but that's where I am. All the suggestions of tweaks and such are appreciated, but (as stated by someone else) I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to make the game work.
I'll have champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends...

gingher
01.12.2013 , 09:40 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparfir View Post
I got a new computer with Windows 8 and the game keeps crashing. Screen freezes and I can't even close with Task manager. Have to restart computer each time. It's becoming a real pain.
Same here - it tells me access denied, even though I'm running as admin. But restarting doesn't even help for me, because it says I still have a session open. I can't uninstall for the same reason.

I didn't have this problem prior to the last patch. But I'd only been on a few times since getting the laptop.

LunarSkyy
01.14.2013 , 03:29 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
Windows 8 user with SWTOR wince Win8 Beta and I still say it's the best OS for this game.
No point me posting computer specifications, no point me saying just how well it runs because that won't help you and there is the issue - I'm using Win8 as is, installed fresh and all the latest drivers for my hardware.
So I've done nothing special, I'm running it the way anyone with a fresh installation would. So there is no "tweaks" and "special settings" required - unless you're using some bizarre hardware with dodgy drivers that are dragging the whole system down - but rare these days.
Well there must be something.

Roalmo
01.14.2013 , 04:29 PM | #44
Did you guys with problems right click the launcher.exe and then the swtor.exe and run the new "trouble shot compatability" line in the pop-up?

Have you set-up a new user with only swtor as a program to run in it?

couple of ideas.

Keeratt
01.15.2013 , 10:19 PM | #45
Hey everyone, I'm having some issues with my game on my new laptop. I'm getting major server lag issues. It bounces from 20 to 20000 on any given day, morning, afternoon or night. I at first thought it was because there were 3 wireless laptops on the same router. But I have since went to a friends house where I was the only wireless anything on her router.

I did some game tweaking and everything is set on low or very low and still the lag. I have tried to play wired as well and disconnected the wi-fi on my laptop. But still I get lag.

I am running Win8 64-bit as well.
AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
8.00 GB RAM

I only ever launch from desktop, never from Metro screen and I don't run anything in the background but the game. I turn everything that I know how off.

This lag is keeping me from running ops with guildmates, doing heroics and many quests on many planets and space quests.

I have checked for drivers for my graphics but I can't find anything for Win8. And I don't know how to look for my chipset. I have read here that I should look for updates for that, but don't know what to look for.

I don't know how to do the "spoiler" thing you guys have on here to show my DiagDX.

I'm running the game/launcher as Admin and Compatibility with XP SP3. What else am I doing wrong or could be doing wrong?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OwenBrooks
01.15.2013 , 10:24 PM | #46
This link is for win 7 not sure if it is the same for win 8 to get the settings.
it should help with the spikes, if not remove the settings, this is normally caused by router congestion between you and the servers. windows default settings excasperate the issue.

http://windows7themes.net/how-to-imp...windows-7.html

Keeratt
01.15.2013 , 10:27 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Crayghe View Post
The clunky version of what I'm seeing at the moment is the game just slowing down once I'm in game. Logging in, my connection seems fine. Choosing a character, still fine. Once a character is in game, my connections is just red. My question, without knowing any better, is what (in Windows 8?) is blocking the signal?

For the moment, I've just gone to playing on the laptop - since, well, the game works (on a Windows 7 system). It's a waste of what seemed to be a perfectly good gaming rig, but that's where I am. All the suggestions of tweaks and such are appreciated, but (as stated by someone else) I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to make the game work.
This is what is happening to me. I think and a friend of mine thinks it's Win8 blocking one of the IP addresses. I ran something, netscan or something like that and I only have 2 connections to TOR on this laptop and 3 connections on my other 2 that are played in my house. And the other 2 run fine. High bars for server lag/connection.

Crayghe
01.17.2013 , 03:04 AM | #48
I did have a brief moment where the game seemed to work. I rewound back to an earlier graphics driver (nVidia from 310.90, back to 306.97), and the connection speeds were 'back to normal'. However, upon restart the problem was back - connection red - which was funny because I was stuck in a cave full of hostiles. Would love to know what I jagged in the first place to make it work, and/or what Windows 8 'put back' when I restarted.

Anybody's guess really...
I'll have champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends...

Stoofa
01.17.2013 , 04:20 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by LunarSkyy View Post
Well there must be something.
I will admit that I'm running on a quite high-spec PC. However it's high-spec at "stock" - I don't overclock anything.
I'm also on a very good fibre-based internet connection - so I suppose that everything between me and the server itself is more or less "as good as it gets".
But I just found that Win8 performed better than 7 and was less prone to crashing.

Malkavier
01.17.2013 , 06:12 AM | #50
Simple question for you folks experiencing the lag problems:

Have you made sure that in the Windows 8 Firewall, that the launcher.exe and swtor.exe programs are allowed to both send and receive traffic? AKA, you have exception rules for those two processes?
L50 Annhi Marauder L50 Madness Sorc L17 Gunslinger L23 Pyro Tech L35 Medic OP L17 Marks Sniper L50 Lethality Sniper

"Your fear angers me. My anger feeds my hate. My hate gives me strength."