Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OwenBrooks
01.09.2013 , 09:49 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Crayghe View Post
Upgraded to Windows 8 two days ago... And now have horrible lag in the game.

Currently fiddling to see if I can trip over a solution.
Have you tried setting launcher.exe and swtor.exe to run as admin and compat mode for xp sp3 ? this changes how win 8 will handle your GFX card memory, it may help.

Crayghe
01.10.2013 , 02:38 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Have you tried setting launcher.exe and swtor.exe to run as admin and compat mode for xp sp3 ? this changes how win 8 will handle your GFX card memory, it may help.
When I say 'lag', I mean of the internet connectivity variety. I'm getting pings in the thousands, though I can cut it down to 500 if I'm on my starship. The ping/connectivity bar is constantly red. The common factor is I installed Windows 8. Internet connection to the game was fine the morning before I installed it.

Still looking...
I'll have champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends...

OwenBrooks
01.10.2013 , 02:56 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Crayghe View Post
When I say 'lag', I mean of the internet connectivity variety. I'm getting pings in the thousands, though I can cut it down to 500 if I'm on my starship. The ping/connectivity bar is constantly red. The common factor is I installed Windows 8. Internet connection to the game was fine the morning before I installed it.

Still looking...
Ahh ok, in this case a pathping -n to the server you use will shed more light on why the connectectivity bar is red.
It will display every router between you and the server and what ping level at that point and the amount of packet loss incurred, at the least it will confirm if it is either at your end or elsewhere.

Crayghe
01.11.2013 , 05:36 PM | #34
Both tracert and pathping are telling me 32ms to the Asia/Pacific servers. My wife's computer (two and a half metres away) is running Windows 7, and the game is running fine. Trying different characters and different servers gives the same result - monster lag (1500+ ms, usually about 2000-ish).

I'm still at a loss to explain what's happening, and I don't know quite enough about Windows 8 to see what might be lagging/blocking SWTOR while I'm playing. I've hunted down driver updates, reset devices, added folders to exception lists, and slashed my in-game graphics back to bare minimum.

(To be a little fair, I have a few other MMOs that are behaving the same way since I upgraded to Windows 8. GW2, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and some of the Perfect World free-to-play games. I'm searching the hell out of their forums too...)
I'll have champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends...

WorldSecurities
01.11.2013 , 07:09 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by optimuslantern View Post
I've had nothing but issues with swtor crashing for me on Windows 8.
Unfortunately the quick and dirty solution is to IMAGE BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM, then upgrade (downgrade) to Windows 7.

Recommend first running the Belarc Advisor software, to obtain a "detailed profile of your installed software and hardware," etc. Which includes the Windows license key.
http://download.cnet.com/Belarc-Advi...-10007277.html

Get your Windows installation key before wiping anything!

Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20151...d-to-know.html
Understanding Downgrade Rights
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/lice...de_rights.aspx

Unfortunately the MicroSoft downgrade covers Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Pro. Unfortunate because most home systems are the Window 8 Home edition. And unfortunate because MicroSoft no longer sells (online) Windows 7.

Which means for a new system you're stuck having to purchase a Windows 7 (usually Home Premium) license/software pack. Or if you're lucky, have a Windows 7 license and installation software from a defunct computer. And reload Windows 7 and all the system drivers.

Those with older systems, should still have their Windows 7 system restore discs.

It is little comfort that most folks should be able to run SWTOR on Windows 8, when it should be all.

LunarSkyy
01.12.2013 , 04:17 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by WorldSecurities View Post
Unfortunately the quick and dirty solution is to IMAGE BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM, then upgrade (downgrade) to Windows 7.

Recommend first running the Belarc Advisor software, to obtain a "detailed profile of your installed software and hardware," etc. Which includes the Windows license key.
http://download.cnet.com/Belarc-Advi...-10007277.html

Get your Windows installation key before wiping anything!

Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20151...d-to-know.html
Understanding Downgrade Rights
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/lice...de_rights.aspx

Unfortunately the MicroSoft downgrade covers Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Pro. Unfortunate because most home systems are the Window 8 Home edition. And unfortunate because MicroSoft no longer sells (online) Windows 7.

Which means for a new system you're stuck having to purchase a Windows 7 (usually Home Premium) license/software pack. Or if you're lucky, have a Windows 7 license and installation software from a defunct computer. And reload Windows 7 and all the system drivers.

Those with older systems, should still have their Windows 7 system restore discs.

It is little comfort that most folks should be able to run SWTOR on Windows 8, when it should be all.
Yeeaaahhhh. Not doing/shouldn't have to do all that **** to play SWTOR.
Any other solutions to this problem?

I wonder if SWTOR simply isn't fully compatible with Windows8 just yet...which would make sense.

Stoofa
01.12.2013 , 05:48 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
It really doesn't you know.

Stoofa
01.12.2013 , 05:50 AM | #38
Windows 8 user with SWTOR wince Win8 Beta and I still say it's the best OS for this game.
No point me posting computer specifications, no point me saying just how well it runs because that won't help you and there is the issue - I'm using Win8 as is, installed fresh and all the latest drivers for my hardware.
So I've done nothing special, I'm running it the way anyone with a fresh installation would. So there is no "tweaks" and "special settings" required - unless you're using some bizarre hardware with dodgy drivers that are dragging the whole system down - but rare these days.

DMCC
01.12.2013 , 07:48 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
Windows 8 user with SWTOR wince Win8 Beta and I still say it's the best OS for this game.
Have you had any issues with Flashpoints? Particularly the last transition, when the party "exits" the Flashpoint?

Game was working perfectly for me in Windows 8 64 bit up until this weekend. I've had consistent, reproducible crashes to desktop at the end of the Black Talon flashpoint each time I've run it with different characters and parties the last day or so... The WIndows 7 / Vista users in the party have been fine...

OwenBrooks
01.12.2013 , 08:34 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by DMCC View Post
Have you had any issues with Flashpoints? Particularly the last transition, when the party "exits" the Flashpoint?

Game was working perfectly for me in Windows 8 64 bit up until this weekend. I've had consistent, reproducible crashes to desktop at the end of the Black Talon flashpoint each time I've run it with different characters and parties the last day or so... The WIndows 7 / Vista users in the party have been fine...
This is an issue that does come up for others, not just for win 8, why it just started now out of the blue for you would be the million dollar question.

The work around is to Alt Tab out before the hyperspace jump, have a read of the below thread, it should at least help you stop crashing.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=560634