Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will they release 1.5 with current memory leak situation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will they release 1.5 with current memory leak situation?

Cran
11.12.2012 , 02:00 AM | #21
The game is at n means unplayable to me, but it can't be my PC alone (although it certainly contributes - who in his right mind tries to play on a laptop?) because whenever I group with guildmates, we have many lag spikes at the same time, most notably in Kaon and PvP, since 1.4. And we all play on different machines, with different settings, and it's hard to believe ALL of them are so sub-par as to be the cause of the lag.

"We continue after the advertisment..." has become a staple in teamspeak.

So: Yes, an improvement would be nice.

Lord_Karsk
11.12.2012 , 02:14 AM | #22
My game crash now and then and have serious isuues with the grafics.Never had these isuues until after 1.4.

Fornix
11.12.2012 , 03:03 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Cran View Post
The game is at n means unplayable to me, but it can't be my PC alone (although it certainly contributes - who in his right mind tries to play on a laptop?) because whenever I group with guildmates, we have many lag spikes at the same time, most notably in Kaon and PvP, since 1.4. And we all play on different machines, with different settings, and it's hard to believe ALL of them are so sub-par as to be the cause of the lag.

However, one issue directly arises with a statement such as that.

What are we talking about?

And personally I believe when reading the majority of these topics, most people have no clue what they're talking about beyond the point of recognizing that there is some form of performance issue in one way or another.

For example in your experience and guild mates, what sort of lag are we talking about?

My bet is you're experiencing server side lag, where for a brief period of time animations finish up, but no movement or new actions may be performed. Occasionaly during such a brief hickup the game goes completely still, but you may notice a 3rd party FPS counter to remain having a solid FPS. This sort of lag tends to primarily be a server side issue, or connection to such. Something which has been around prior to 1.4 as well for that matter, although I must say that during the last month or so my guild hasn't experienced these anymore on TRE.

Whereas others are referring to constant stuttering, such as one of the videos posted earlier. Although people tend to cry this is not a hardware related thing because they can play another game fine.... it frequently is a hardware related issue. Many of them tend to have setups which may still function well for e.g. FPS games, but for the typical MMO are out of balance. Differences in setup are key.

In FPS games priority can pretty much be defined as:
GPU > CPU > RAM

Whilst for MMO's the order of preferences is pretty much vice versa:
RAM > CPU > GPU

In particular for crowded scenarios such as the fleet, 2GB is definitely not going to cut it, and 4GB is very limited as well if you have other applications open. So instead windows is going to use your harddrive as temp memory, which is slow and cumbersome, in particular if you're not using SSD's. This causes major FPS drops within the crowded MMO cities, such as the fleet.

Additionally CPU recieves more strain in MMO's as they are developed for ancient devices, since otherwise the community is in an outcry. Therefore it uses DX9, with hardly any multi-core abilities. So you may have as many cores as you desire, however SWTOR is greatly limited in what it can use. So the result, people are complaining their 8x 2.4 Ghz fails at running this fluently. Whilst forgetting SWTOR may effectively only use 25% of such a CPU, whilst BF3 is much more inclined to use e.g. 60% if needed. This makes it so that even high-end machines, may negatively be affected. Compared to what they're used, even moreso than more outdated machines.

Is this a client issue? Yes it is, but it is not one which may be resolved without negatively affecting a lot of players, or by introducing the cumbersome need to support a multitude of rendering engines.

And then there's the occasional stutters, a lot of which frequently nails down to HDD issues, driver issues or conflicts. Frequently, this is a player-side issue. E.g. a HDD in the process of dying, where the game is hitching over a few files on bad sectors. Or outdated drivers (GPU, directx, sound, chipset) which may not affect all titles but a few you're playing.
Member of <Helix>

Xenirath
11.12.2012 , 03:11 AM | #24
I haven't noticed anything but that isn't to say some people aren't. I would assume if they know about it they are working on it, may even be why they held 1.5 back a week even after it was done and tested.

Also I have noticed whenever they forego a weekly maintenance the game gets twonky. Almost like a droid who hasn't had a memory wipe in a while

Patch 1.6 Rise of the Server Farms?
The Three Topics Better Not Discussed Online:
1)Religion
2)Politics
3)Which Videogames are Better

Xenirath
11.12.2012 , 03:13 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Cran View Post

I can't say about the PvP, but I have noticed certain parts of Koan doing this and they said they are aware of it and working on it. So 1.5 *crosses fingers*. Though the Koan lag spike is literally only like 1.5 seconds for me.
The Three Topics Better Not Discussed Online:
1)Religion
2)Politics
3)Which Videogames are Better

GnatB
11.12.2012 , 03:18 AM | #26
Part of the problem, I think, is that it *is* the high end gaming rigs that are having issues.

I have a pretty high end gaming rig. Playing at max everything easy. When 1.4 hit, my frame rate went to crap. Basically, whatever they did with their font engine, (presumably the outlines people talked about, through I didn't really notice a difference) apparently made font rasterizing a slow blocking task on certain high end (a.k.a. crossfire, and I believe SLI) configurations.

The game almost literally pauses everytime it rasterizes text. When lots of text is constantly updating (i.e. nameplates scaling in size) it is pause.pause.pause. Unplayable.

Now sure, turning off nameplate scaling dramatically reduces how frequently it updates the text. Though the game still LITERALLY pauses for a couple of seconds if there are a bunch of new nameplates all at once. (such as when approaching the cargo hold area on fleet) Though that can be reduced by cutting back on the type of nameplates displayed. (Say, enemy only) The problem also is almost completely eliminated by turning off crossfire (either by changing the option in the graphics card settings, or by running in windowed mode). Now sure, my computer is actually good enough that I'm still getting ~60fps with settings all still on max, and one of my videocards basically turned off. (disabled crossfire). But, that means the one card is heating up more than I'd really like.

And, of course, there ARE others whose computers aren't excessively overpowered, for whom turning off one of their cards presumably means they have to dramatically crank down the visual quality.

'Oh, and leaks? can't say as I've had a problem with them myself... that being said, my computer has tons of memory. My dad, who I play with every weekend, has much less memory and rather predictably drops to desktop every ~2.5 hours of play. Sounds pretty memory leakish to me.

Ruskaeth
11.12.2012 , 03:30 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Eszi View Post
http://youtu.be/bydnIwlhm8A

Im just gonna leave it here
This is an awesome example. I've tried everything, but since 1.4, same experience as Gosia has on the video and a lot of crashing. Memory leak much? Must be my computer when it's not crashing while I run Skyrim on full details and InDesign + Photoshop on other screen, just as an example. SWTOR: Even if I play with only one monitor, it still stutters and crashes.

For some reason, the memory leak seems to be connected to how many people are logged on the instance. Mornings with very few people on the fleet and dozens of loading screens later, no crash. Fleet full and it crashes a lot. I asked around and many others had noticed the same. So BioWare, if your load balancing doesn't work, do something about it. If the load balancing does work, make fleets smaller with shared general/trade/pvp chats. This is a possible solution if you are unable to fix whatever went wrong in previous updates.

Maybe having the setup on that shows least amount of other players is creating the memory leak? I am going to test changing that setting to other values.

Yours, Ruswyn/Mrachan

JamieKirby
11.12.2012 , 03:34 AM | #28
If its the performance issue i think it is, i had it also, but playing in window mode (fullscreen) fixed it for me, it will likely fix it for you.

But in the end, when has a game or patch ever been released completely bug free??

Ruskaeth
11.12.2012 , 03:52 AM | #29
Doesn't make a difference if I change between windowed (fullscreen) or windowed normal or total full screen.

SNCommand
11.12.2012 , 03:54 AM | #30
Memory leak?
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.