Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will they release 1.5 with current memory leak situation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will they release 1.5 with current memory leak situation?

Eszi
11.11.2012 , 10:38 PM | #11
http://youtu.be/bydnIwlhm8A

Im just gonna leave it here

MikeTheDuke
11.11.2012 , 10:44 PM | #12
I am amazed at the amount of hate thrown towards BioWare complaining about game systems and I am very curious as to the number of people who really understand what is required to perform changes on this scale, understand the complexities of coding a game let alone an MMO.

I am not saying that SWTOR is perfect by any means when it comes to the performance. I am also curious about people who say they have run this game at MAX settings with no issues on a laptop that isn't designed for gaming. In all honesty I am rarely able to get SWTOR to run on MAX setting smoothly on my laptop and to me it is not a bad laptop.

I did have some performance issues when 1.4 launched. But they have no gone. I do have some other issues as well in heavily populated areas but not to what people seem to be saying. 1.4 they updated their shadows. They aren't as blocky and certainly their performance across the board is better.

But that said, I know everyones rig is different and I have yet to have any real issues on my system. It isn't able to run BF3 at max settings, but it is good enough to get SWTOR looking as good as possible. Try tweaking your graphics settings in your graphics card control panel. Play with the different in game settings to see what works. You could spend the time you have complaining about it trying to put some effort into making the game look better and perform better.

Every game engine behaves differently and to think just because one game can run at max settings without problem that another can do the same. SWTOR uses the HEROEngine and if you are curious about how the engine works, look it up. I can assure you what is required behind the scenes to get an MMO engine working with all various components is vastly different than that of the Frostbite engine.

I am looking forward to the changes in the shaders for 1.5. But it seems that this might be another area in which people might complain about the performance.

NOTE: How do you know it is a memory leak? Are you looking at the used memory and noticing it going up and up and up, and no releasing any?

ShatteredVision
11.11.2012 , 10:50 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Matty-Wan View Post
I cant imagine anything that would turn off new users more then the performance issues that cause the constant freezing and crashing that we know as "playing swtor". I implore you BW, fix the completely out of hand performance issues. If not for your current player base, then for the players you hope to garner...
What freezing and crashing? I've experienced neither, personally. I just came back, but I never had problems in the past either. The only real complaint I have gameplay-wise is load screens being too long.
I'll rain
Blood
Down

On this city

ObiJuanShenobi
11.11.2012 , 11:09 PM | #14
I just think that when the game launched, I could play at max settings and not have even a hint of lag and now I have to keep everything on mid to low settings that something is seriously wrong with this game.
The Lightstrider Legacy

Darth Crucious I Darth Imperius I Master Darkstrider I Master Liam Lightstrider I Captain Evie Lightstrider I Agent Morran Lightstrider I Major Tanken I Nikro, Hired Gun

Eillack
11.11.2012 , 11:28 PM | #15
Imagine what F2P launch + 1.5 is going to do.........
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Darth-Rammstein
11.12.2012 , 12:15 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Matty-Wan View Post
I cant imagine anything that would turn off new users more then the performance issues that cause the constant freezing and crashing that we know as "playing swtor". I implore you BW, fix the completely out of hand performance issues. If not for your current player base, then for the players you hope to garner...
Careful, the "my game runs fine on my pc so it must just be you" people are coming.
Belgoth's Beacon ----> The Fatman ----> Prophecy of the Five

MoobooMagoo
11.12.2012 , 12:29 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Rammstein View Post
Careful, the "my game runs fine on my pc so it must just be you" people are coming.
See the thing is, the game DOES run fine on my computer. I don't even have a computer that is all that good. I did have this problem where it would only run on very low settings once, but I believe that was before 1.4. I restarted my computer and it was back to working just fine.

I'm not saying that Bioware shouldn't fix it, or that anyone with this problem has a ****** computer. What I'm saying is that you CAN play the game full speced just fine. Maybe there is something that your computer is doing that is interfering with TOR.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

Darth-Rammstein
11.12.2012 , 12:40 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by MoobooMagoo View Post
See the thing is, the game DOES run fine on my computer. I don't even have a computer that is all that good. I did have this problem where it would only run on very low settings once, but I believe that was before 1.4. I restarted my computer and it was back to working just fine.

I'm not saying that Bioware shouldn't fix it, or that anyone with this problem has a ****** computer. What I'm saying is that you CAN play the game full speced just fine. Maybe there is something that your computer is doing that is interfering with TOR.
Well, after 1.4 I started having stuttering issues and even computer freezes requiring reboots...since then I have found that playing in windowed mode and AA off has seemed to fix my problems I guess. I have a decent pc too, i7 2600, 8g ram, gtx 580...drivers up to date. It's just one of those things. Like I said though I can play the game still, that's all that matters to me even if it's not playing optimally. I don't see any problems with my hardware, other games play just fine. Memory leak is definitely real, I open up task manager and see the memory usage soar while playing.
Belgoth's Beacon ----> The Fatman ----> Prophecy of the Five

Darth_Urtani
11.12.2012 , 01:11 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
never seen anyone talk about this in game. Must be rare.
That's because whenever they try to, they get disconnected, or the game crashes.

I've noticed a big problem since 1.4 too Op.
CE VIP

Sindorin
11.12.2012 , 01:18 AM | #20
95% of the issues experienced from 1.1 to the current iteration of SWTOR have not affected me. I think there is a very vocal majority that likes to hype up most of the issues in this game and the majority aren't even regular users of this forum, but instead actually play the game.
< White Rose >
For The Republic!
Oya, Surtr! Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum!