Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Plasma Brand- Shorten the burn

Kelha
11.06.2012 , 12:11 PM | #1
I wanted to put this in the PTS forum so it would at least get seen by Devs before it got moved, but I knew it would end up here anyhow. So here goes:

Devs, PLEASE consider shortening the burn on Plasma Brand to 9 seconds to match its cooldown.

With a vig guard as my main since launch, I am always looking for ways to improve my play, both in terms of enjoyment and actually being useful to my ops group. It is one of the more attention-requiring specs to play well in terms of watching cd's and procs, and I enjoy playing it the most of my toons. Despite our ability to keep up when played well, I know that I have been asked to leave ops because I was a guardian, to make room for a sent (pug group, not guild, but it still stung). While Vigilance can top charts or at least come close, in general it is still behind a lot of other classes in overall dps. I know tweaking classes is tricky, and Focus is the guardian flavor right now, it's not my style, I love the vigilance spec and just want it to be competitive. I think this minor tweak would help raise overall dps without being gamebreaking.

I know it's been posted about before, but I just wanted to bring attention back to this issue for my favorite class.

EDIT: This is a comment I made later in the thread but will post it here for newcomers.

One of my main reasons for wanting the shorter burn (9 or 6 seconds would be great) is that Plasma Brand procs Master Strike, which was not the case with talents at launch. The spec changed, but the 31 point skill did not- it needs to catch up. As it is, we lose 25% of PB's burn most of the time because of this.

Some extra front loaded damage would be excellent... perhaps these two things would put us back into the 5% gap they say all classes are in.

SebastianII
11.09.2012 , 07:15 AM | #2
I agree. This is a quality of life issue that should be addressed on Vig Guardians and Veng Juggs. It will make the dps numbers seem more consistent, maybe even begin to change the preception about us.
Starpath Legacy
Kezey ~Kesey~Thesis~Verve~Skys~Upset~Theorem~Tarif
The Bastion Server

Andrew_Past
11.09.2012 , 03:50 PM | #3
I believe that the burn should be even shorter than that. It should be a 6 second burn to really add to single target pressure in PVP. PVE wise, having a 6 second burn wouldn't really affect things much more than having a 9 second burn, due to the longer duration of fights in PVE.
And'rew - Guardian || And'ria - Sentinel || Praeteria - Juggernaut
The Past Legacy || POT5, Fatman Native
First Guardian Representative
AndrewPast - Twitch

Naej
11.13.2012 , 11:57 AM | #4
Me it's not so much the cooldown, but the requirement to have a debuff first that annoys me.

Most of the time, with Master Strike coming in the rotation, and Dispatch once the target is below 30%, I find that the DoT has enough time to tick off. It's not SUCH a big issue for me that you loose 3 ticks on the times where you chain it. I wouldn't mind if they brought it down to 9sec or allow it to overlap.

I know it's a great skill, that the DoT is nice DPS on the longer fights, plus the fact that it pops the +60% crit and has a chance to reset MS... but the prereq for Sunder Strike debuff is just retarded and has to go. I'd be very surprised if they kept that when they give some love to the Vig spec in a future patch. It's just an annoyance for when you switch mobs in the middle of a rotation.
Naej - 50 Jedi Guardian / Eljian - 50 Gunslinger [AWAKEN - PotF]
Furlone - 38 Vanguard / Jaen - 45 Jedi Shadow / Florune - 11 Mercenary / Jyang - 11 Operative

Karasuko
11.13.2012 , 08:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Naej View Post
Me it's not so much the cooldown, but the requirement to have a debuff first that annoys me.

Most of the time, with Master Strike coming in the rotation, and Dispatch once the target is below 30%, I find that the DoT has enough time to tick off. It's not SUCH a big issue for me that you loose 3 ticks on the times where you chain it. I wouldn't mind if they brought it down to 9sec or allow it to overlap.

I know it's a great skill, that the DoT is nice DPS on the longer fights, plus the fact that it pops the +60% crit and has a chance to reset MS... but the prereq for Sunder Strike debuff is just retarded and has to go. I'd be very surprised if they kept that when they give some love to the Vig spec in a future patch. It's just an annoyance for when you switch mobs in the middle of a rotation.
Its one GCD....... one that can be applied at range, I don't think delaying your leap for 1.5 secs will break an encounter (pve or pvp)

Back to the topic at hand.
I'd like to see it's front loaded damage upped, for a 41 pt talent it just doesn't hit that hard. With 1100 power, 26 hilt and offhand Im getting 3k crits with adrenal popped. The dot damage is nice but still way below what my awfully geared mara dots damage is.

Personally if they had to tweak it I'd like to see a 9 sec dot + 20-30% more frontloaded damage. If that came at the expense of damage elsewhere i wouldn't mind.

Carousel_t
11.16.2012 , 04:44 PM | #6
as long as focus's dmg is based purely on power and power is the only stat without diminishing returns and plasma brand has as low dmg as it currently does, there's nothing to talk about here. at least they couldve made ms go auto crit after pb or any other skill... or omit target's defenses like all internal/force attacks

GuillimanT
11.18.2012 , 01:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Karasuko View Post
Its one GCD....... one that can be applied at range, I don't think delaying your leap for 1.5 secs will break an encounter (pve or pvp)

I'd like to see it's front loaded damage upped, for a 41 pt talent it just doesn't hit that hard. With 1100 power, 26 hilt and offhand Im getting 3k crits with adrenal popped. The dot damage is nice but still way below what my awfully geared mara dots damage is.

Personally if they had to tweak it I'd like to see a 9 sec dot + 20-30% more frontloaded damage. If that came at the expense of damage elsewhere i wouldn't mind.
+1 Considering it needs a debuff and 5 focus before we can use it, the damage is just embarrassingly low.

Siorac
11.18.2012 , 09:52 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Karasuko View Post

Still, the armour debuff requirement is stupid. Why do you need armour debuff to use an attack that completely bypasses armour?

It's not a big deal in PvE but in PvP I often need that one global (ie: I can't use Saber Throw before Leap or I lose my target). The instant damage is low, the dot ticks way too long and you need 5 Focus to use it. The only reason I actually spec into it because at least it's not mitigated by armour or shield and abilities like Dodge or Deflection are useless against it.

SebastianII
11.18.2012 , 11:54 AM | #9
Here's a thought. What if Plasma Brand cost 3 focus if target is sundered and 5 focus if target is not sundered?
Starpath Legacy
Kezey ~Kesey~Thesis~Verve~Skys~Upset~Theorem~Tarif
The Bastion Server

Altheran
11.18.2012 , 02:12 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SebastianII View Post
What if Plasma Brand cost 3 focus if target is sundered and 5 focus if target is not sundered?
And how do you manage this ?

From my impresion of how the games work, I think that unless you buff yourself with a proc or somthing similar, you can't change the cost of an ability. The only thing they could do in this direction and that I can imagine, is the ability giving back Focus if used on a Sundered target, meaning that it will still require 5+ Focus to use the ability but it will use only 2 Focus (5 minus 2 from Sunder Armor, and minus 1 from Shien Form).