Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I don't get the point of the cover bar

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
I don't get the point of the cover bar

Kurugi
11.02.2012 , 10:39 PM | #1
I mean I get that it's for abilites you can only use in cover. The problem is I don't really have anything to put in those spaces on my out of cover bar, because most abilities that I can use out of cover I still want to be able to use while in cover, so I end up with all these holes in my hotbar and it makes the cover bar seem pointless, but without it I run out of comfortable hotkey space (I have a razer naga but I like to avoid using modifiers as much as possible, at least for mainstay attacks).

For example I have ambush only on my cover bar, but I have nothing to put in its place on my regular hotbar. Everything that doesn't require cover, corrosive dart, debilitate, flash grenade, overload shot, etc. I still want to have available while in cover because I may need to use them but don't want/can't leave cover (e.g. when using entrench). The ONLY ability I'm comfortable not having access to while in cover is shiv, but I'm thinking I may even want access to that while in cover as well, just in case.

Anyone else have this problem? I figured I just wouldn't use the cover bar then I realized but didn't feel comfortable with that either. This is mainly in regards to PvP where having access to all your abilities the second you need them is very important.

Damethian
11.02.2012 , 11:11 PM | #2
The point of it, is whatever you want to make of it really. It's a personal preference thing.

For me personally, the difference between abilities on my cover bar and abilities on the normal bar tend to be whether or not I am using them on the move. More abilities with less buttons works out for me.

I am up and down in cover a lot, and it works for me.

CaptCody
11.03.2012 , 08:04 AM | #3
The cover bar is great it adds so much space to our hot bars.

Yes abilities that can be used out of cover are on my cover bar as well leaving to a full bar, but let's say there are abilities you normally never use in cover, and these aren't as obvious. Quick Travel, Mounts, etc. I place these in my non cover bar. Saves so much space. And when I enter cover they get hidden cause frankly who is going to quick travel when using cover?
B O L I D E
Legacy

tronot
11.03.2012 , 01:10 PM | #4
I find the cover bar to be an annoyance. I just have the same abilities on both bars, whether they can be used out of cover or not.

RikuvonDrake
11.04.2012 , 11:30 AM | #5
I consider it to be awesome, when on the move I have all my abilities there and since I play lethality the first buttons are all the same for me, which makes it very simple to keep up the high DPS even when on the run.
Dread Master - Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Riku - Rikacha
Ruthless | Susannah
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse

Chaqen
11.04.2012 , 05:07 PM | #6
I have had it disabled for some time and dont see much of a point in it either. I am not to sure how people are running out of hotbar space, unless they have abilities that are completely useless on their bars.

Zunayson
11.04.2012 , 08:06 PM | #7
i only have it activated so i can have hotkeys for Crouch (2), and Take Cover (3), mapped to snipe and ambush, respectively.

Otherwise i find it to be an annoyance.

On my operative, however, i find that since you cannot use backstab and hidden strike in cover, those are nice to put where snipe and explosive probe would be or something of the sort.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

vimm
11.07.2012 , 06:16 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by tronot View Post
I find the cover bar to be an annoyance. I just have the same abilities on both bars, whether they can be used out of cover or not.
Lol, so deactivate it.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

tronot
11.07.2012 , 11:48 AM | #9
I actually recently did. I wasn't aware I could until someone mentioned it in this thread. :/

Katrasle
11.07.2012 , 02:03 PM | #10
I like it and I use it still. I have things like charge shot and shiv on my mobile cover bar and of course explosive probe, snipe, and ambush on my cover bar. Playing the sniper since launch, I don't even notice the coverbar anymore, all of the differences are muscle memory now.