Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cjaine
01.04.2013 , 07:33 AM | #581
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Precursor View Post
What exactly does this do, though?
As far as I know it just lets the game load with additional memory. Most importantly . . . IT WORKED!!

No problems since I followed those steps. Give it a shot, won't hurt your system in any way.

Cjaine
01.04.2013 , 07:34 AM | #582
Quote: Originally Posted by Aortaex View Post
After I tried this I didn't have single crash for over month now, before that it was either 1.5 hour idle game crash time or crashing to desktop after every 5th or 6th loading screen usually after switching from one char to another, hope it will work for you guys as well.

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

1 . Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072"
3. Restart the computer.
Thank you, no problems, no crashes since I followed these steps.

badjedi
01.04.2013 , 09:31 AM | #583
Quote: Originally Posted by Aortaex View Post
After I tried this I didn't have single crash for over month now, before that it was either 1.5 hour idle game crash time or crashing to desktop after every 5th or 6th loading screen usually after switching from one char to another, hope it will work for you guys as well.

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

1 . Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072"
3. Restart the computer.
It should be pointed out that this will work great on a 32bit system, however there is no need for it on the 64bit system. The 64bit version of Windows implicitly sets the "3GB Switch"
May the Force Be with You and Not Your Prey!

Mythicz
01.04.2013 , 10:21 AM | #584
Quote: Originally Posted by badjedi View Post
It should be pointed out that this will work great on a 32bit system, however there is no need for it on the 64bit system. The 64bit version of Windows implicitly sets the "3GB Switch"
I am glad that worked for a few of you, I can deffinately confirm it works for users that have a Windows XP os although the method is not the same, it still works perfectly, I did this after the first few crashes I had starting 2 weeks ago (just joined swtor) and I have yet to crash even once.

mechembuchus
01.04.2013 , 01:33 PM | #585
1. Ebon Hawk
2. Jek, Ronove, Zaharred, S'amedi
3. 2-6 times a day
4. Completely random
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. Most of the time it crashes right to the desktop. On fewer occasions it will disconnect from the server and then crash to desktop. An even rarer occurrence is the game will disconnect from server without crashing to desktop afterward.
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful… the strong… the weak… the innocent… the corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally."
―Darth Maul

MasterPeacecraft
01.04.2013 , 05:54 PM | #586
1. Name of server. - The Harbinger
2. Name of character(s) affected. - All
3.Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? - Every 30 minutes to an hour
4. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. - Crashes at random time i.e, running, loading, standing still, pvping, questing....
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. crash to desktop
HK-47: Query: Can I kill him now, master? I'd like ever so much to crush his neck. Just a little. It is a long time fantasy of mine.
Revan: Maybe later...
HK-47: Did you hear that meatbag? I will be back!

Berserkuss
01.04.2013 , 06:31 PM | #587
Quote: Originally Posted by badjedi View Post
The 64bit version of Windows implicitly sets the "3GB Switch"
Thats wrong!
32bit Programs only use it if it is implied programmed, it not you must set the switch manually.
In swtor you must set it! Windows dont do it automatically!

Berserkuss
01.04.2013 , 06:37 PM | #588
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSM View Post
Edit: After installing a memory manager
Sry, but this is only placebo Software and Voodoo!
Its only fluke that swtor has run over 4hour. ^^

Desplain
01.04.2013 , 08:29 PM | #589
Quote: Originally Posted by Berserkuss View Post
Sry, but this is only placebo Software and Voodoo!
Its only fluke that swtor has run over 4hour. ^^
Oh my gosh are you following me?

Your help will be welcome if you want to find a workaround with us.

But do me a favor, please don't try to tell the guys here on the forum that it is the computer and not the game, like
you tried to do on the German forum.
May the Force be with you.

RogueFi
01.04.2013 , 08:45 PM | #590
  1. Name of server.
    The Shadowlands
  2. Name of character(s) affected.
    Enussee (Jedi Guardian)
  3. Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
    Every single time I do #4 (stuck in class quest)
  4. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
    Jedi Knight storyline: Fate of the Jedi / fly to the Oppressor
    Every time I clicked on the Oppressor in the Galactic Map, all the text appears in the popup, but no graphic. music keeps playing for a few seconds then the whole game crashes, exits to Desktop
  5. Your DXDiag in spoiler tags
    Spoiler
  6. Your reliability report in spoiler tags
    For Windows 7 / Vista:
    Spoiler
  7. Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select.
    Full crash including W7 crash message