Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tivel
11.20.2012 , 09:24 PM | #111
1. Prophecy of the Five
2. Cyran, Tivels, Dirox, and any of my other characters
3. Sometimes 30min, sometimes 2 hours, it's totally random
4. Crashes no matter what I'm doing, afk, warzone, traveling, sitting still, flashpoints, anything
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. It is a crash to desktop, I receive no error message or anything.

SammySith
11.20.2012 , 11:35 PM | #112
...this crashin' bullsh*t's gettin' ridiculous..........do i really need to give us examples? mid-fight with an elite,crash,log back in, spawn right beside him again,die,repeat. ...not to mention any other time regardless of engaged in combat or sitting still.
...lemme tell ya whats gonna happen...... im told lucas sold to disney and biowares main engineer chief resigned....now the servers are down to a handful, and theyre going to free-play....no management, no servers and no service..... ...after a year of hype , SWTOR just went to sh*t

DarkkChaos
11.21.2012 , 07:41 AM | #113
Will post next crash....which shouldn't be too long!! ;(
CTD...every 120 mins...since : 9/26/2012

zorprimus
11.21.2012 , 09:37 AM | #114
Good morning all...first one of the day...

Name of server. Jedi Covenant
Name of character(s) affected.: Ichimaru, Narmu, Aiizen, Visk, Riber
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? Once every 2 to 3 hours.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. Anything at this point triggers, lost track of examples. Lets go with all of the above.
DXDiag:

Spoiler

I don't know why the crashing does not show up on my event viewer all the time...
Well when you gotta go you gotta go so lets get going...
Beta tester since 8/2011
CE Owner
Lightsaber swinging, blaster rifle aiming...geek.

zeroyuki
11.21.2012 , 10:06 AM | #115
1. Harbinger
2. Candycotton
3. four crashes yesterday
4. dailies/flashpoints (section x, black hole, ilum, lfg NM/HM) ... I crashed once, leaving a HM FP, believe it was after choosing the non-DK option on Black Talon ... crashed to desktop instead of returning to where I was (Ilum). I crashed in the daily zones a couple times. I crashed after zoning in to a FP and the group and I began to move towards the starting objective, iirc boarding party was the HM FP.
5. dxdiag
Spoiler

6. crash 1
Spoiler

Crash 2
Spoiler

crash 3
Spoiler

crash 4
Spoiler

7. Yes, definitely crashes to desktop. At lest 4 times, even though the reliability monitor has these 4 crashes, two of each at different times ... (showing on the monitor 6:42 pm twice and 10:40 pm twice ... it was occuring several times through out my long play session yesterday.

Jedi_Rachael
11.21.2012 , 11:15 AM | #116
Name of server: The Progenitor.
Name of character(s) affected: All.
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?: every time i close the game.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc: it seems to happen every time I play for a long time.
Spoiler

Spoiler

It's defiantly a crash to desktop.It's been happening ever since the new update.

Dalkeyras
11.21.2012 , 12:09 PM | #117
1. Red Eclipse
2. All my account characters.
3. Hourly.
4. Crashing to desktop occurs regardless of what actions are being performed. Standing in fleet, opening mail, interacting with any object inside the game, combat, opening crew skills, accepting crew skill mission rewards, activating abilities, getting on/off speeders, area zone in/out, taxi interaction.

99% are simply CTD's with no alerts/notifications, some produce the "This application has encountered an error" with "Report to Microsoft".

After a crash the next attempt at executing the launcher results in the launcher itself crashing, the fault being reported as with "patcher.dll" Running the launcher repair and a full reinstall does not rectify this issue.

Since I'm running a 32bit system, the main client process simply inflates till the system cannot cope. The main process runs to around 1.7GB in size, while the secondary swtor.exe process runs around 200-300MB in size.

Sometimes the secondary process will exit, and the primary hangs and remains in memory even after "exit".

Spoiler

As a side note to this, I keep my PC healthy and regulary checked for errors. Disks are fine, memory is also fine.

Spoiler

I have hundreds of these, this is the last report from eventvwr.

7. Yes it's CTD, launcher crashes, client crashes.

I'm somewhat saddened that 8 months after I first reported to support that these issues are continuing to be a concern. I cancelled my subscription back then because of the constant crashing and only resubbed 1 month ago because I was informed that the CTD issues had been resolved. We all know the client memory leaks. I've indeed just sat and watched the system with the client open, not doing anything in game other than to clear AFK, seeing the system res fall as the client bloats before CTD-ing. If the game wasn't supported on 32bit systems I would be satisfied that I would be playing at my own risk, however you still claim it's compatible with 32bit. While it's annoying, and no where near as severe as back when 1.2 hit, the launcher crashes are worrying, and at this rate I'm going to run out of random numbers from my authenticator ( )

It's hard to see how a game built on older technology is suffering so badly, yet I can play newer, more graphically taxing, mmo's without crashing being an issue. If I saw the same with other games I play then I would be led to believe it's a local machine issue, since this doesn't occur.

I think we'd like to see some more information from you, BW, on how the problem solving is going, along the lines of your dev blogs, because at the moment all we get is, to be honest, the same stock answer everytime.

Thanks.
Quote: Originally Posted by CrudeDude View Post
LOL I bet you work for BioWare and when you get off work you jump on here to rip people new ones. LOL.

zorprimus
11.21.2012 , 04:34 PM | #118
Name of server. Jedi Covenant
Name of character(s) affected.: Ichimaru, Narmu, Aiizen, Visk, Riber
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? Once every 2 to 3 hours.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. Anything at this point triggers, lost track of examples. Lets go with all of the above.
DXDiag:
Spoiler

Not in event log
Well when you gotta go you gotta go so lets get going...
Beta tester since 8/2011
CE Owner
Lightsaber swinging, blaster rifle aiming...geek.

Sazan
11.21.2012 , 09:31 PM | #119
1. The Harbinger
2. Ralcur, Othen
3. Every time I try to enter a quest location on the space map.
4. Right now I'm at a place in my class quest on two different characters where I need to travel to a special "quest only" space ship location. Whenever I zoom into the part of the map containing that space ship the map hangs up at about 90% loaded and then after about 10 seconds crashes to desktop. This happens every time so I am unable to get through my class quests on these charaters.
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. This is always a crash to desktop.

CAgirlnKS
11.22.2012 , 02:29 AM | #120
1. Name of Server: The Bastian
2. Name of Characters Affected: Aneshta/Anirra/Ionera/Baphelia/Chatha/Chemmie/Taor'yrra (All current)
3. Frequency of Crashing: 3 - 5 times daily since last patch
4. Additional Info: Random triggers - loading character/using speeder/transitioning between locations.
NOTE: Have received a Windows XP error the last two days saying that SWTOR was trying to access inaccessible memory locations upon closing the game. Prior crashes were stutters and crashes to desktop. Had 2 instances where my computer completely froze and I had to use the reset button today. Crashing systems and results are progressively getting worse.
5. DxDiag:
Spoiler

6. Reliability Report:
Spoiler

7. CONFIRMING this is a crashing to desktop error with the exception of the total system freeze happening twice.