Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

Aurbere
11.01.2012 , 09:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweetiepies View Post
Not so much a nail in the coffin, but a kick to the side.

The current "established" (I use established as loosely as I can) post ROTJ cannon is just not a matter of cannon anymore. It is now just a different set of stories. Like how in Marvel you have the Age of Apocalypse timeline, and the Days of the Futures Past timeline, and The Ultimate universe. It doesn't remove those books from existence, it just makes them their own "timeline".
That's probably the best path to take. Have the movies and novels take place in seperate timelines, but the novels still following the same trend as the movies. That's kind of what has been happening before all of this, but now the novels will have less room to work with, imo.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

LordHartigan
11.01.2012 , 09:32 AM | #22
Not so much a nail in the coffin, but a kick to the side.

The current "established" (I use established as loosely as I can) post ROTJ cannon is just not a matter of cannon anymore. It is now just a different set of stories. Like how in Marvel you have the Age of Apocalypse timeline, and the Days of the Futures Past timeline, and The Ultimate universe. It doesn't remove those books from existence, it just makes them their own "timeline".

People just have to get over the whole THIS IS CANNON! thing. The only person that can establish cannon is the current person/people in charge. There is a good chance that they will take things they like that already exist in the EU and mesh them in with the things they want to create.
I would think they could throw the EU fans a bone or two because there are EU characters with pretty significant followings like Mara Jade and Thrawn (though sounds like he's been pretty much ruled out).

Aurbere
11.01.2012 , 09:52 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by LordHartigan View Post
I would think they could throw the EU fans a bone or two because there are EU characters with pretty significant followings like Mara Jade and Thrawn (though sounds like he's been pretty much ruled out).
Don't forget Kyle Katarn. He's probably going to get scrapped too. Unless they get Chuck Norris to play as Kyle in EP. 7.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
11.01.2012 , 09:56 AM | #24
I think most of the post RotJ EU is crap since it's just major threat after major threat, the writers just throw in everything they could think of to let the big 3 fight. But reboot is NO NO, SW is great partly because there is no rebooting so the history could continue and whoever died is dead.

AlienEyeTX
11.01.2012 , 10:00 AM | #25
People just have to get over the whole THIS IS CANNON! thing. The only person that can establish cannon is the current person/people in charge. There is a good chance that they will take things they like that already exist in the EU and mesh them in with the things they want to create.
Bingo. There may very well be elements that were already introduced in the EU, they just won't follow the same stories that have been established.

It just boggles my mind how some people act as though the Star Wars universe is real and everything has to be exactly as it has been written. It is a fictional world and that leaves room for multiple adaptations and viewpoints. That's what makes it fun. Sort of like how some people say Boba died in the saarlac and some say Boba escaped the saarlac... both are correct!

I wish people would just accept all of this for what it is: good entertainment. No need to argue over such things.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

Eillack
11.01.2012 , 10:01 AM | #26
"Thankfully?"

*** is the OP on?
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

LordHartigan
11.01.2012 , 10:09 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Don't forget Kyle Katarn. He's probably going to get scrapped too. Unless they get Chuck Norris to play as Kyle in EP. 7.
Right. That could almost work. By 'bone' maybe just a cameo of Thrawn on the bridge of Star Destroyer or something would be cool.

Aurbere
11.01.2012 , 10:10 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by LordHartigan View Post
Right. That could almost work. By 'bone' maybe just a cameo of Thrawn on the bridge of Star Destroyer or something would be cool.
That would be cool. Thrawn is one of my absolute favorite characters and I would really like to see him in this new continuity thing.

Anishor
11.01.2012 , 10:16 AM | #29
Hopefully they do the Heir to the Empire storyline, it is the only storyline in post RoTJ that would have the same mass appeal as the orginal. I personally would love to see some books based on the X-wing series but that would do better as a TV show IMO.
Penumbral, Jung Ma server
Sranishor ( Vengeance *main* ) Sran'ishor ( Marauder *alt* )
PVP Officer
"My passion and the force shows me more than your eyes ever could."

Ycoga
11.01.2012 , 10:18 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Setsugetsuka View Post
This is something I never understood. With a book, you can't focus on background things, as it'd distract from the story, leaving readers to be jarred. However with a movie, you see things, just simple things in the background, you probably won't notice them until you've watched it several more times. Like for example, when Luke first arrives in Mos Eisley, can you imagine a book going to length to describe what was going on? No, it's ridiculous as it'd distract from the plot too much, if it does distract like that, then it's a **** book.

However, in the movie, you see it all, all these things going on, yet the story still happens, yet for that brief second, you glimpsed the magical things that are placed everywhere. Subtle, simple, yet there. Movies > Books for things like that. You can't subtle describe a scene completely in a book, hence why descriptions are brief and vague when it comes to books, unless it's describing something that is either small, simple or easily describable.
You trolling?
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny