Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Which Era would be best to make new movies?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Which Era would be best to make new movies?

Cross_Fade's Avatar


Cross_Fade
10.30.2012 , 04:13 PM | #21
To add onto my other post, I would like to see a new movie on the Sith's perspective.

This is why I think it would be good to have a Revan movie(s) where we can see the Jedi and Sith, and how one person goes through the light and the dark side of the force.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
10.30.2012 , 04:13 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
Never going to happen. At least, not at first. They're going to build onto the established, mainstream and widely-known (and proven profitable) timeframe before taking a risk on anything else.
TotJ and KOTOR are well known enough compare to Darth Cadeus' tale.

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
10.30.2012 , 04:17 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
TotJ and KOTOR are well known enough compare to Darth Cadeus' tale.
This isn't about what the events that follow RotJ are - as long as the events follow RotJ. It's the connection that matters, the continuation - not the content.

simplius's Avatar


simplius
10.30.2012 , 04:19 PM | #24
1/ thrawn trilogy

2/ han solo trilogy

3/ mara jade/ talon karrde story

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
10.30.2012 , 04:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
This isn't about what the events that follow RotJ - as long as the events follow RotJ. It's the connection that matters, the continuation - not the content.
That is the problem, a lot of wars and events happened from ROTJ to Jacen became Darth Cadeus, there is not enough room to explain, such as Mara Jade, she made her first appearance in the Thrawn Trilogy and you cannot just let people know her well without a lot of explanation which the movie didn't have time and space to do so.

Also people would not want to see so much conflicts after such a massive battle in RotJ.

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
10.30.2012 , 04:27 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
That is the problem, a lot of wars and events happened from ROTJ to Jacen became Darth Cadeus, there is not enough room to explain, such as Mara Jade, she made her first appearance in the Thrawn Trilogy and you cannot just let people know her well without a lot of explanation which the movie didn't have time and space to do so.

Also people would not want to see so much conflicts after such a massive battle in RotJ.
You seem to think that the movies are required to be based on existing material. No such requirement exists, and George Lucas himself has stated that "his" vision of post-RotJ events is different from the EU material. And he's serving as a creative consultant.

Lucas even stated his overt distaste of Mara Jade: particularly the marriage to Luke, a Jedi.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
10.30.2012 , 04:31 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
You seem to think that the movies are required to be based on existing material. No such requirement exists, and George Lucas himself has stated that "his" vision of post-RotJ events is different from the EU material. And he's serving as a creative consultant.

Lucas even stated his overt distaste of Mara Jade: particularly the marriage to Luke, a Jedi.
Well I think most of the post ROTJ stories are crap, just major threats after major threats, but if they want to use the characters they have to explain well.

Especially Jacen, he went through a lot of wars and without knowing these, it's difficult to understand his character and fall to the Dark Side as Cadeus.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
10.30.2012 , 04:32 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I think start a new era should be the best. We don't have to worry about new actors at all.

The Great Sith War, KOTOR1&2 are far more epic than Darth Caedus' tale. As Jacen he is cool but as a villain he failed too quickly.
A couple of things here... I don't disagree that KOTOR would make a good movie, but that's not going to happen. They will give us something involving the characters from the original trilogy. They are either going to take something from the EU as inspiration or create an entirely new timeline that contradicts the EU. I don't see them just adapting one of the books, but I don't want them to flush the entire EU down the toilet either. I don't want the Thrawn Trilogy because I don't want to watch CGI Mark Hamill running around or some other actor in that role. That's why I suggest they use the Solo and Skywalker kids. There is enough of a connection to draw in casual fans of the original trilogy without making the classic characters the main focus.

I also don't think you are going to get a true adaptation of any of the books. They don't translate well to film. There is too much going on. I think you will see something like what Marvel has done with its movies. The movie will have characters from the EU and perhaps take inspiration from it with the story, but it won't be an exact adaptation of a specific book. They are going to have to leave a lot out and change a lot. This also makes Darth Caedus work. You can take plot points from the book but improve the writing and the story significantly for real epic tale with a connection to Luke and Han and Leia.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
10.30.2012 , 04:34 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
A couple of things here... I don't disagree that KOTOR would make a good movie, but that's not going to happen. They will give us something involving the characters from the original trilogy. They are either going to take something from the EU as inspiration or create an entirely new timeline that contradicts the EU. I don't see them just adapting one of the books, but I don't want them to flush the entire EU down the toilet either. I don't want the Thrawn Trilogy because I don't want to watch CGI Mark Hamill running around or some other actor in that role. That's why I suggest they use the Solo and Skywalker kids. There is enough of a connection to draw in casual fans of the original trilogy without making the classic characters the main focus.

I also don't think you are going to get a true adaptation of any of the books. They don't translate well to film. There is too much going on. I think you will see something like what Marvel has done with its movies. The movie will have characters from the EU and perhaps take inspiration from it with the story, but it won't be an exact adaptation of a specific book. They are going to have to leave a lot out and change a lot. This also makes Darth Caedus work. You can take plot points from the book but improve the writing and the story significantly for real epic tale with a connection to Luke and Han and Leia.
Why not? Some of the EU stories are really good and could be made into good movies, why would they try to do the hard way?

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.30.2012 , 04:38 PM | #30
Already in the news, Timothy Zahn is being contacted by Disney. Now why would Disney do this? My bet, it's going to be the Thrawn series.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor