Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Flying-Brian
01.29.2013 , 08:38 PM | #931
My commando and merc are soon to be fully shelved, after I finish leveling up my PT. Their only use now is to help grind gear faster, so I'll have a full set of min/max gear for the PT when I get it to 50.

Even in 10-49 pvp, the damage the PT can put out is massive and so easy to do. Since lvl 20, I have only been leveling the PT in PVP. Since I started that, I have almost always had top damage in every warzone I play in (the few exceptions being high level smashers, and even then I'm right under them). On average I will put out 100K+ more damage then the next highest person in a wz.

I feel bad putting away my commando and merc, as those are my 2 mains. But until changes are made there is no reason to use them with a PT available to play.

cashogy_reborn
01.29.2013 , 08:39 PM | #932
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post

Edit: Ninja'd by Cash

It's that couple that interest me. The best ones. Is it too much to ask that the best mercs be capable of the same as the best of other classes?

And yes, playing commando makes playing other classes in PvP laughable. I did 500k damage in my first lvl 50 warzone on a sage, in a mixture of recruit and odd WH.

i think the problem with Merc is that we lose so much more damage while moving, being attacked, etc.
compared to PT, where i *never* have to stop outputting damage as long as there are targets in range.

think about what a Merc has to use when we are on the move. Rapid Shots, Rail Shot, Explosive Dart, and either Heatseeker Missiles/Thermal Det. 3 of those are 15s cooldowns, and 2 of them are heavily dependent on being buffed by other abilities that are casted.

you stand still in PvP, you die. Merc is the anti-thesis of that statement
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Amebia
01.29.2013 , 10:31 PM | #933
O hello fellow commandos/mercs

What is the consensus on accuracy in pvp?

150 Accuracy(95%)(105%)?

cashogy_reborn
01.29.2013 , 10:32 PM | #934
Quote: Originally Posted by Amebia View Post
O hello fellow commandos/mercs

What is the consensus on accuracy in pvp?

150 Accuracy(95%)(105%)?
yes

the only attack that uses base accuracy is Rapid Shots. stuff like Rail Shot is a Special Ability, and if you hover over the accuracy stat you will see your "Special Ability Accuracy". its default is 100%. so you only need 5% to negate misses.

keep in mind this only negates "miss". you will still have dodge occasionally, and deflect against jedi/sith with defensive CDs up
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

ArchangelLBC
01.29.2013 , 11:12 PM | #935
I'm uploading a video now from the other night where I broke 900 dps (It looks like about 460k damage over a warzone a little over 8 mins long). Its still a looooong way from coming anywhere close to the output of the real DPS classes.

Which is my point. There are some of the top mercs posting here. You, me, ArchangelLBC, Cash, Skillex (is back I think), Phaser and many more. We represent a wealth of experience, and have beaten the odds in more ways than one. And our damage output is *pitiful* in comparison to the top players from other classes. Forget 900-1000 dps in a warzone. Try 1700. Forget a million damage, try 1.5 million.
I'm honored that you think so but I long since joined the dark side and keep PVP exclusively to my shadow or sentinel, though honestly I don't like the sent very much. I wanna play combat again =(

Still PVP occasionally on my commando just to stay in practice, and the melee classes have definitely helped me do what little I can to make myself more of a nuisance to kill, but commando really is playing PVP on hard mode, except the rewards suck.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Jherad
01.30.2013 , 02:06 AM | #936
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
I'm honored that you think so but I long since joined the dark side and keep PVP exclusively to my shadow or sentinel, though honestly I don't like the sent very much. I wanna play combat again =(

Still PVP occasionally on my commando just to stay in practice, and the melee classes have definitely helped me do what little I can to make myself more of a nuisance to kill, but commando really is playing PVP on hard mode, except the rewards suck.
PvPing with a commando is like riding a bicycle. A big red bicycle of pain with broken glass on the handlebars and a massive spike for a saddle. You never forget.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

Swampchicken
01.30.2013 , 05:52 AM | #937
rabble rabble rabble

ArchangelLBC
01.30.2013 , 10:35 AM | #938
PvPing with a commando is like riding a bicycle. A big red bicycle of pain with broken glass on the handlebars and a massive spike for a saddle. You never forget.
True that. I dunno why you keep doing it personally, but kudos to you sir.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Mindwreck
01.30.2013 , 11:21 AM | #939
I recently leveled a merc to see what all the fuss is about. I hit 50 about 3 weeks ago and have played Wz's continuously since picking up about a half set of EWH gear. Here's my take. These guys are absolute killing machines when left alone. I can kill anything foolish enough to stay within 30 meters of me, surprisingly quick. This is the designed mechanic for a merc dps, and from what i see works to perfection. But the key words here are, when left alone. So far im having a very hard time even putting up a decent fight against a good mdps who engages me. IMO there does have to be a drawback to being able to deliver so much damage from range, maybe this is it. However, to be completely overwhelmed by a well played sentinel after blowing every cd, using every trick i can think of, is not a good feeling. Here's a couple tweaks that are not game changers but can add a little more survivability and utility. Give them a cover mechanic that makes them immune to leaps, since it seems like sents and guardians are the bane of our existence. Snipers have it and it is the one reason they can stand there ground. If snipers did not have cover they would be in the same boat as mercs. Also, lower the cd on concussion missile to 1 minute and make it an instant cast. This would actually improve survivability alot. Implement these 2 changes and see what the outcome is.
I know one thing though, damage, dps, and killing ability is definetly not the problem. I am usually at or near the top in all these categories every single warzone.
Sorry if these tweaks were already discussed, didn't have time to read through the countless pages.

Pefny
01.30.2013 , 12:13 PM | #940
Quote: Originally Posted by Mindwreck View Post
(...)Give them a cover mechanic that makes them immune to leaps, since it seems like sents and guardians are the bane of our existence(...) Also, lower the cd on concussion missile to 1 minute and make it an instant cast.
Yep we were going through this few times here. Giving cover mechanics is not at option - it's pointless to copy other class, it's sniper/GS's reward from having medium armor etc...

For a 2nd tweak - old mercs and commandos sure remember - we already had it in the past. It was called electro dart/cryo grenade - 30 m, instant, 4 s hard stun. To this day in secret, underground lab, special group of brightest minds on Earth is trying to investigate what was in head of a guy who thought that RDPS need 10 m stun instead of 30.
CERUS - PYRO MERC/CERFUN - ASSAULT COMMANDO - ATM on vacation, thanks to critical dameges to AC made by BW
CERATION - PYRO/SHIELD PT
BEROYA LEGACY - ToFN