Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Foundry(spoilers) WHAT THE !!!!???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Foundry(spoilers) WHAT THE !!!!???

TrakonBazzaak
10.27.2012 , 07:15 PM | #1
Im sure this has been posted before, but I want to bring my own perspective to the subject.

As a primary pub player, who saw Revan in the flashpoints on that side, and reading the Revan novel, I sorta thought it was kind of a boring tie in with swtor and had no idea what happened to him after we release him from his prison. Being that Revan is my favorite video game hero/villian of all time I was very excited before release to see what happened to this mighty character.

Today I finally reached the appropriate level to do the foundry on my imperial character. Having No idea what the foundry was about I was pleasantly surprised to hear Revans initial monologue in the flashpoint.

On repub side I have always felt it was sort of dumb to kill off hk 47 in the way we did during the false emporer. Malgus's death was slightly lackluster for me as well and seemed a bit rushed, but I wasnt as attached to him as I was hk 47.

Now after doing the foundry I am slightly confused as to the canon death of HK 47, was he with Malgus when he died or was he with Revan?

I was also very dissapointed in the super fast loose end tie up feel for the death of the exile and T7.

Now this.

I killed revan in a party of noobs. Lvl 37ish nobodies.

Why did EA/Bioware feel the need to kill off iconic characters in such a boring way?

Revan almost conquers the ENTIRE GALAXY, and then SAVES IT!

What kind of anti climactic storytelling is it that I go in and kill him and his assassin droid with ease during a random mid level flashpoint???

If I could uninstall this game and pretend I never saw this I would.

Thanks for completely crapping on the storyline Bioware.

Seriously.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

Bleeters
10.27.2012 , 07:28 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
Now after doing the foundry I am slightly confused as to the canon death of HK 47, was he with Malgus when he died or was he with Revan?
In terms of story, the Foundry flashpoint takes place before the False Emperor one. As such, HK-47 was originally with Revan in the Foundry, but is defeated by an imperial strike team (as in, people doing the flashpoint). Malgus recovers the droid along with the Foundry itself, restores him and re-activates him. He's then defeated a second time.

Wolfninjajedi
10.27.2012 , 07:38 PM | #3
The guy is a complete lunatic, more to that you don't see him die. Before in Beta, he did die and you saw his corpse however due to the hardcore QQing he now just disappears in an explosion. This way everyone can be happy that either A. Revan died, or B. He is still alive and might appear in the future.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

OldVengeance
10.27.2012 , 08:02 PM | #4
False Emperor comes after the Foundry. After eliminating Revan, the Imperial troops mention they can rebuild HK if they want so presumably Malgus ordered them to do so.

TalkingDinosaur
10.27.2012 , 08:24 PM | #5
You're about 10 months late to the party.

Revan was imprisoned by the Emperor where the Emperor went inside Revan's mind and played with it like it was silly puddy for 300 years. Who wouldn't go insane?
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

jarjarloves
10.28.2012 , 08:56 AM | #6
not sure what you THINK you saw but Raven didn't die there. Either did Malgus.

As for HK-47 he's a droid and he gets rebuilt a lot.

As for you thinking Raven gets defeated by some noobs it takes
1. The Wrath of the Emperor (sith Warrior)
2. The Mandalore (the Bounty Hunter)
3. Whatever the Sith Inquisitor is (haven't finished his storyline)
4. The Empires greatest assasin (the Imperial Agent)

so it's not just some noobs. But yeah Raven clearly doesn't die in the foundry.

Maaruin
10.28.2012 , 09:31 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
not sure what you THINK you saw but Raven didn't die there. Either did Malgus.

As for HK-47 he's a droid and he gets rebuilt a lot.

As for you thinking Raven gets defeated by some noobs it takes
1. The Wrath of the Emperor (sith Warrior)
2. The Mandalore (the Bounty Hunter)
3. Whatever the Sith Inquisitor is (haven't finished his storyline)
4. The Empires greatest assasin (the Imperial Agent)

so it's not just some noobs. But yeah Raven clearly doesn't die in the foundry.
But it isn't like that. Foundery takes place during chapter 2, so we have:

1. The most promising apprentice of Darth Baras (Sith Warrior)
2. The winner of one of the Great Hunts, so probably one of the four best Bounty Hunters in the Galaxy (and the Bounty Hunter never becomes Mandalore)
3. A middle ranking but promising Sith Sorcerer who has a quarrel with a Dark Council Member (Sith Inquisitor)
4. A very good Agent of Imperial Intelligence

My explanation is that Revan was still weakened by 300 years without the possibility to move and with constantly being under mind attack by the Emperor. Before the Republic's Revan flashpoints, the Jedi Entity even says that his strength is about to fail.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

_biddan_
10.28.2012 , 10:09 AM | #8
no metter how powerful revan could be,here we are talking about:
1)one of the most powerful warriors in the whole sith order
2)a sith empowered by at least 3 sith ghosts
3)the winner of the great hunt who kills jedi for hobby
4)a man/woman with the best imperial training and the best gadgets imperial intelligence could give him/her
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

Aurbere
10.28.2012 , 10:41 AM | #9
Revan was a shell of his former self. Broken after 300 years of battle with the Emperor's mind. He was driven mad, his morals twisted and his mind deluded.

He wasn't beaten by some random team of Imperials either. He was beaten by the best team the Empire could throw at them. And they weren't even at the height of their power. But he probably isn't dead... yet.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

AlyxDinas
10.28.2012 , 11:05 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
I killed revan in a party of noobs. Lvl 37ish nobodies.
Except you didn't. Canonically, that party consists of some of the most talented in Imperial space. Besides, his "death" is questionable and his mind was reasonable fractured from his imprisonment. Heck, even during his inprisonment, he manages to basically hold off the Emperor's power and even mollify the dude's rage enough that it's implied that Revan himself was one of the causes behind the end of the first war.

This is to say nothing of the fact that Revan, vapid as he was before any real characterization, has always been portrayed as a man of extremes and more importantly, a man of mistakes. Historically, he's left a pretty big wake of destruction behind him. The Republic and Order owe more of their continued existence to the Exile than to Revan. They just don't really know it.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."