Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HK-51 Quest & its PVP requirement.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
HK-51 Quest & its PVP requirement.

DarthTHC
11.16.2012 , 11:40 AM | #511
The thing of this is, it's just not good game design.

Yes, HK is an optional companion, We don't have to have him. But we may want him.

But if a lot of players who really dislike PvP play want him, now they have to make an uncomfortable decision. Do I want him bad enough to allow the game to force me into an activity I hate? That's not very game-like, is it? Forcing decisions like that onto people lessens their desire to play the game.

Now the "hardcore" PvP players on PvP servers may not care how much PvE players like the game. And the griefers who camp this spawn on the PvE servers (which they are on because they're too weak to survive on PvP servers) may not care, either. But ultimately if you whittle away at a player's desire to play enough, they stop playing.

In general, the more players an MMO has, the better it is for all players. So ultimately this very poor quest design is bad for the game.

EA should have learned from other games. Oh, what the frak am I saying? They've already proved without a shadow of a doubt, then chiseled it into granite, then ensconced it in diamond that they are incapable of learning lessons from other games.

But they should have learned the lesson that you don't make people cross play-styles for quest rewards. If a reward is for PvE, it should require the completion of only PvE content. If the reward is for PvP, it should require the completion of only PvP content.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

necromorteus
11.16.2012 , 11:40 AM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by seatown View Post
Again, much like they force people who do not want to pve to pve? or how they force someone who is strictly republic to roll an imperial and visa versa? I really can't wrap my head around what is so gamebreaking about having to spend 5 minutes in a pvp zone... If you want the HK unit just do it and be done with it, if not then do whatever you were doing before yesterday. With so much in the game this is what you choose to complain about? BTW the amount of time it took some of you to type out your complaints or read others. you could have had the hk-transistor by now and been done with it.
First off five minutes, currently you can not get anywhere near the vendor without being ganked. While I really hate pvp I don't mind having to go in there for one part, but when you have 4-8 people guarding the vendor, and they all attack a lone person trying to get at it, there is nothing fun about that, and I cant imagine there would be any fun in killing 1 person when you have that many attacking them.

Sambril
11.16.2012 , 11:41 AM | #513
Games like this one should never mix PvE and PvP in the same questline. It just frustrates people as evidenced by this thread and several others on the topic. While some players are happy to PvE and PvP, many more prefer one style over the other. PvEers never want to fight players and PvPers never want to fight NPCs.

If the devs want to encourage and support PvP then they should make a purely PvP quest line with a nice reward. You would know ahead of time that to get such a reward you would have to PvP, as you currently do if you want the PvP armor skins.

Right now it is one quest and I can certainly get by without another companion, even though his craft bonus would be useful on my artificer, but if mixing PvE and PvP is the direction that this game is headed then it is not the kind of game that I want to continue playing.

Urael
11.16.2012 , 11:45 AM | #514
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Yes, HK is an optional companion, We don't have to have him. But we may want him.
If you truely "want" HK-51 then you will have to undergo the full quest to obtain him.

The term "quest" has been watered down in moderinity. A quest was a long and arduous undertaking. The quest for HK-51 is restoring the meaning of the word.

This is a good thing.

You can't always get what you want.

wetslampigduex
11.16.2012 , 11:48 AM | #515
It's pretty funny people are flipping out over this but not that WH relics are BiS for Pve(i guess its debatable now cause of the DG relics but still)

Edit: i dont see QQ in PvP forums about having to do Foundry and False Emporer

DarthTHC
11.16.2012 , 11:49 AM | #516
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
If you truely "want" HK-51 then you will have to undergo the full quest to obtain him.

The term "quest" has been watered down in moderinity. A quest was a long and arduous undertaking. The quest for HK-51 is restoring the meaning of the word.

This is a good thing.

You can't always get what you want.
you stopped reading my post after the first line, didn't you?
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Urael
11.16.2012 , 11:50 AM | #517
you stopped reading my post after the first line, didn't you?
Yeah but, you have to admit that Stones song rocks.

Arrakeen
11.16.2012 , 11:50 AM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
That makes no sense. You're not forced into PvP. It's a choice. You want HK-51, then you need to go to a PvP area.

That's like complaining that you want to gain Valor, but you don't want to be flagged for PvP since you didn't roll on a PvP server (or you want the WH relics which were the BiS for PvE content). Guess what? You have a choice. To get HK-51 you'll need to enter a pvp zone for < 30 minutes. For WH Relics, you'll need to pvp for much longer. The choice is still yours. No one is forcing you to PvP.
You're being completely biased towards people who play on PvE servers. Do you not understand the concept of poor game design when you have specifically opted out of open world PvP and then are forced into a PvP area for a companion that is intended for PvE content?

Mentioning WH relics for PvE content doesn't justify your opinion either. Using PvP gear for PvE content is yet another concept of poor game design.
Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur. - "Today is a good day for someone else to die."

DarthTHC
11.16.2012 , 11:51 AM | #519
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Yeah but, you have to admit that Stones song rocks.
Actually pretty much all Rolling Stones songs suck. The Who, too.

I'm much more a Beatles and Zeppelin fan.

Lostpenguins
11.16.2012 , 11:56 AM | #520
Dear Bioware,

I rolled Empire because I want to play on the Empire side. However, the attack animations for Sentinel are much cooler than the Marauder. Please fix. Don't force me to have to roll Republic for the animations I want because you're forcing me to play a Republic toon. I rolled an Empire character because I want to play an empire character.

Sincerely,
"I will quit if I don't get it the way I want it" player
---------------------
Dear Bioware,

I have beaten all the content in this game. However, I do not have all of the loot because my item did not drop. Please fix. Don't force me to have to redo existing content at the chance I get the loot I want. I've beaten the game. Why are you forcing me to rekill TFB in hardmode?

Sincerely,
--------------------
Dear Bioware,

I decided I don't want to listen to my superiors in this game. However, no option I pick allows me to leave then and start setting up my own Cantina. Don't force me to continue working for this guy/girl. I bought this game for the role-playing, yet I can't seem to start up a Cantina business and manage it. Why are you forcing me to continue working for this guy/girl?

Sincerely,
-------------------
Perhaps you guys can follow up your anti-PvP for 30 minutes crusade with one of the above open letters to Bioware.

Thanks!