Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Your favourite Star Wars ideology,

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Your favourite Star Wars ideology,

Liquidacid's Avatar


Liquidacid
10.26.2012 , 03:42 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Far as the force goes there is no lightside/darkside within the force ITSELF.

It simply is, the force, not light, not dark simply is. WE AS BEINGS are light and dark, and the force will simply reflect that and amplify that in a person.

I think when yoda says 'go down the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny", i think this is the darkside of humanity is more seductive. Easier to get things, easier to get POWER which some people crave.

Again, the force ITSELF is not light nor dark, simply is. We as beings are light and dark.
again that is the Unifying force theory which GL did not use and which Luke himself in the latest lore has stated to be incorrect... it's simply one of the many "theories" about the true nature of the force... but it's not the one the majority of the Sith or Jedi believe in ... but as I said the actual "true" nature and working of the force have never been stated in lore as absolutes... all we are given are different people and groups views, theories and beliefs on the matter... we also have the Potentium theory some believed in and then the Aing-Tii monks "rainbow" force beleif
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.27.2012 , 08:33 AM | #22
No actually it hasn't. Even luke skywalker said that there is a light and dark side, but it's NOT the force, PEOPLE are light and dark. I think he said it around the time of the Unseen Queen.

Force is simply just that, THE FORCE. Just like a rock is a rock. Pick it up and throw it at somebody with ill intent, that is evil and dark. But a simple rock just sitting there isn't evil. Just as the force is. Force simply amplifies and echoes how it is used.

Unifying force concept says there is no light and dark PERIOD. My concept is that the force simply is, it's actions and inside each person to be light or dark, kind of like yin/yang concept.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor

Liquidacid's Avatar


Liquidacid
10.27.2012 , 09:04 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
No actually it hasn't. Even luke skywalker said that there is a light and dark side, but it's NOT the force, PEOPLE are light and dark. I think he said it around the time of the Unseen Queen.

Force is simply just that, THE FORCE. Just like a rock is a rock. Pick it up and throw it at somebody with ill intent, that is evil and dark. But a simple rock just sitting there isn't evil. Just as the force is. Force simply amplifies and echoes how it is used.

Unifying force concept says there is no light and dark PERIOD. My concept is that the force simply is, it's actions and inside each person to be light or dark, kind of like yin/yang concept.
ah see your referencing the Unseen Queen... in the FoTJ series Luke specifically makes reference to that being an incorrect theory that was introduced to them by a Sith infiltrator (Vergere)... he goes on later to state specifically that for a JEDI there are two separate sides of the force itself and that is the way it has to be for them (after he met up with the Aing-tii monks and Ben questioned him about their rainbow force views) ... again as I said tho the majority of the Jedi/Sith of the old and Luke's new order believe the light and dark to be two separate parts of the force (the Living Force theory)... and while your actions and intents dictate which you use you are drawing from one or the other as they are two separate things... also Unifying force doesn't state there is no light or dark... just that the force it self doesn't inherently have separate light or dark it is just is and how you use it makes it light or dark...

but again in SW lore there is no absolute answer to how the force is or works... just different theories and beliefs held by different groups of beings who use it...

oddly Palpatine subscribed to the Unifying force theory
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
10.27.2012 , 09:09 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post

Regardless, Kreia came up with the idea of not relying on one side or the other, problem was, she was in denial and had actually been a pretty obvious Dark Sider all along.
Quote:
again what Kreia was doing was the same thing the Je'daii Order did... they believed to understand the force you had to live in "balance" and experience both the light and dark... the only difference was that Kreia was full of crap and obviously dark side even after claiming to "view both sides" while the Je'daii actually did view and use both sides to get a better perspective
I'm going to have to disagree with you both here concerning Kreia. She wasn't actually that interested in light or dark, she wasn't saying you should live in balance at all. She hated the Force, her actual point was that you should break away from it all together, and not be so dependent on the Force. Ultimately she wanted the death of the Force, which doesn't exactly fit in with the idea of being a gray jedi. Not sure where on earth you got that idea from :P So really her beliefs had nothing to do with the Je'daii Order at all.

EDIT: The only thing she was in denial about (all though not really as she realised this) was that she herself was dependent on the Force and had therefore failed her ideals. But hey, breaking away from the Force is no easy task.

Liquidacid's Avatar


Liquidacid
10.27.2012 , 10:04 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you both here concerning Kreia. She wasn't actually that interested in light or dark, she wasn't saying you should live in balance at all. She hated the Force, her actual point was that you should break away from it all together, and not be so dependent on the Force. Ultimately she wanted the death of the Force, which doesn't exactly fit in with the idea of being a gray jedi. Not sure where on earth you got that idea from :P So really her beliefs had nothing to do with the Je'daii Order at all.

EDIT: The only thing she was in denial about (all though not really as she realised this) was that she herself was dependent on the Force and had therefore failed her ideals. But hey, breaking away from the Force is no easy task.
my point was that Kreia wasn't the first to come up with the idea of viewing both sides of it to come to a more complete understanding... she and the Je'daii did the exact same thing they just drew radically different conclusions from it... the Je'daii did it and said "hey this is great we need to continue to do it and live in balance" while Kreia did it and said "hey the force sucks"
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

mefit's Avatar


mefit
10.27.2012 , 10:56 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
my point was that Kreia wasn't the first to come up with the idea of viewing both sides of it to come to a more complete understanding... she and the Je'daii did the exact same thing they just drew radically different conclusions from it... the Je'daii did it and said "hey this is great we need to continue to do it and live in balance" while Kreia did it and said "hey the force sucks"

Kreia was insane , most of the things she said was that of a insane person . Kinda like Revan in SWTOR . You have to wonder if Kreia is his mother with the things that was coming out his mouth .............
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
10.27.2012 , 02:18 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
my point was that Kreia wasn't the first to come up with the idea of viewing both sides of it to come to a more complete understanding... she and the Je'daii did the exact same thing they just drew radically different conclusions from it... the Je'daii did it and said "hey this is great we need to continue to do it and live in balance" while Kreia did it and said "hey the force sucks"
I still disagree, I don't believe any of Kreia's beliefs concern understanding of the light and dark at all. She's just a jedi that fell to the darkside, and became dissluioned with the Force - this gives her a grey jedi feel because neither Sith or Jedi reject the Force and both think there's is stronger.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.27.2012 , 05:08 PM | #28
Personally, I tailor my character's goals and opinions based on how I believe the class should be played.

Jedi Knight: The Republic is a bastion of Peace in the galaxy that the Jedi must defend. And he shall do everything in his power to destroy all enemies, foreign and domestic. A true Knight of the Republic, he guards her people with not only his Lightsaber, but the Force as well.

Jedi Consular: A Paragon of Light, the Jedi Consular acts as a beacon of Light in the Darkness, banishing the Sith with power of the Force, but will prefer subtle peace talks over the brutality of battle. He acts as a diplomat of the Jedi Order and will do everything he can to talk the Sith down. But if that doesn't work, the Force will guide him.

Trooper: All of his might goes into protecting the Republic to which he has pledged himself to. Prepared to sacrifice all to defend freedom and justice throughout the galaxy. His blaster cannons are pointed right at the Sith Empire, prepared for their inevitable return.

Smuggler: Money, his ship and (especially) women. The Smuggler has joined the Republic for credits, but has come to believe in their cause and will do anything he can to lend a hand. The best weapon the Republic could ask for: a loose cannon that doesn't play by the rules. He's ready to kick butt and play cards... except he's all out of cards.

Bounty Hunter: The life of a Bounty Hunter revolves around a single choice: to kill or not to kill. He has chosen not to kill his targets unless ordered to. Credits used to be a priority, but his morals have evolved into catching his targets with honor. No merciless killing. His path is long, and the Empire has contracted the best Bounty Hunter in the galaxy.

Imperial Agent: Service to the Empire comes with a price. The Empire demands perfection and the Agent will give it to them. No target escapes the agent... and any loose ends are dealt with. Always professional and never compromising in his mission. The Empire's deadliest secret weapon is not Sith.

Sith Inquisitor: Power above all things. Power to crush the Republic and any who oppose him. Rising from the lowest levels to the highest in the Empire, the Inquisitor is an uncompromising and feared Sith Lord, even amongst members of the Sith Empire. But his plans are far greater than any could suspect.

Sith Warrior: The Sith are the arms of the Emperor and the Warrior is the blade. Ruthless, merciless and indomitable. The Warrior is a mighty weapon, honed for the Emperor's use to crush the Republic. Nothing will stand in his way. Nothing will stop him from becoming the most powerful Sith in the galaxy. And with his rise, the Republic falls.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
10.28.2012 , 04:18 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Personally, I tailor my character's goals and opinions based on how I believe the class should be played.

Jedi Knight: The Republic is a bastion of Peace in the galaxy that the Jedi must defend. And he shall do everything in his power to destroy all enemies, foreign and domestic. A true Knight of the Republic, he guards her people with not only his Lightsaber, but the Force as well.

Jedi Consular: A Paragon of Light, the Jedi Consular acts as a beacon of Light in the Darkness, banishing the Sith with power of the Force, but will prefer subtle peace talks over the brutality of battle. He acts as a diplomat of the Jedi Order and will do everything he can to talk the Sith down. But if that doesn't work, the Force will guide him.

Trooper: All of his might goes into protecting the Republic to which he has pledged himself to. Prepared to sacrifice all to defend freedom and justice throughout the galaxy. His blaster cannons are pointed right at the Sith Empire, prepared for their inevitable return.

Smuggler: Money, his ship and (especially) women. The Smuggler has joined the Republic for credits, but has come to believe in their cause and will do anything he can to lend a hand. The best weapon the Republic could ask for: a loose cannon that doesn't play by the rules. He's ready to kick butt and play cards... except he's all out of cards.

Bounty Hunter: The life of a Bounty Hunter revolves around a single choice: to kill or not to kill. He has chosen not to kill his targets unless ordered to. Credits used to be a priority, but his morals have evolved into catching his targets with honor. No merciless killing. His path is long, and the Empire has contracted the best Bounty Hunter in the galaxy.

Imperial Agent: Service to the Empire comes with a price. The Empire demands perfection and the Agent will give it to them. No target escapes the agent... and any loose ends are dealt with. Always professional and never compromising in his mission. The Empire's deadliest secret weapon is not Sith.

Sith Inquisitor: Power above all things. Power to crush the Republic and any who oppose him. Rising from the lowest levels to the highest in the Empire, the Inquisitor is an uncompromising and feared Sith Lord, even amongst members of the Sith Empire. But his plans are far greater than any could suspect.

Sith Warrior: The Sith are the arms of the Emperor and the Warrior is the blade. Ruthless, merciless and indomitable. The Warrior is a mighty weapon, honed for the Emperor's use to crush the Republic. Nothing will stand in his way. Nothing will stop him from becoming the most powerful Sith in the galaxy. And with his rise, the Republic falls.
Oooh I like it. I'd agree with you here, I play each character how their meant to be played (although I mainly play darkside)

My BH ideology is a bit different though: My Bounty Hunter always fulfills his contract, he'll do whatever means necessary to complete the job and earn his pay, and he never betrays his employers (ok, almost never). If the price is right, he'll do it. If theres a bounty on its head, he'll kill it. He believes in challenges, and bettering himself in honest battle, but he doesn't see any honor in killing and doesn't care for it.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.28.2012 , 12:04 PM | #30
Eventually going to do a Sentinel, Sage, Juggernaut, Assassin.

Sentinel: My sentinel would be along the lines of the Oath from Kingdom of Heaven. Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong - that is your oath. -SLAP!- That is so you remember it!

Sage: I am the keeper of wisdom. I am a servant of the light, I will be a beacon of hope. My powers are to defend others, never to attack.

Juggernaut: [the rifleman's creed changed into the saber's creed.] This is my saber. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My saber is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My saber, without me, is useless. Without my saber, I am useless. I must stab my saber true. I must stab straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must stab him before he stabs me. I will...
My saber and myself know that what counts in this war is not the blaster bolts we block, the noise of our swing, or the light we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My saber is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its emitter. I will keep my saber clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before the force, I swear this creed. My saber and myself are the wrath of the sith. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is Empires' and there is no enemy, but GLORY!

Assassin: [A modified Version of the Assassin's Creed] Where other men blindly follow the path to power, Remember, nothing is true. Where other men are limited by decadence, power, or lust, Remember, everything is permitted. We work in the dark to serve the Empire. We are assassins.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor