Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Your favourite Star Wars ideology,

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Your favourite Star Wars ideology,

Rayla_Felana
10.24.2012 , 06:05 PM | #1
What is your favourite mindset or ideology in Star Wars that you also apply to all your characters? whether it be in the Jedi Academy series, this game, the KotOR series or other role-playing games set in Star Wars, video game or otherwise. Even just the mentality you think you would adopt as someone living in that universe, To give an example I shall start with mine:

The Republic is everything, I will use what ever power as a Jedi Sentinel I have in the force to defend it, I shall deal out death and justice to any of the Republic and Jedi Order's enemies, especially the Sith, in a swift fashion, I will get the job done and take no risks, a Sith has already given up their right to freedom and by necessity, life.. by devoting their existence to gaining power regardless of the consequences and by placing themselves over all others.

I will extinguish the Sith threat at any cost, I will use my power and iron will to deal out death to the Sith once and for all, even as it costs me my own morality and humaninty in turn.

Ardim
10.24.2012 , 06:16 PM | #2
Probably the Je'daii Code. I apply it to virtually every Force-user I play

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no fear; there is power.
I am the heart of the Force.
I am the revealing fire of light.
I am the mystery of darkness
In balance with chaos and harmony,
Immortal in the Force.
Through Passion, We gain Strength!
Darth Chroan The Empire's Wrath
Vengeance for Marr and the Empire!

ToEasy
10.24.2012 , 06:44 PM | #3
Mainly the New Jedi Order's Code,

Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.
Jedi use their powers to defend and to protect.
Jedi respect all life, in any form.
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

TalonVII
10.24.2012 , 06:51 PM | #4
It depends on my class.

Trooper: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of anybody who threatens it.

Smuggler: Kinda Mal Renholds view. Gotta ship, got my crew, get a job, get paid, keep flying.

IA: I am here to do a job, i will use any and all means to get the job done. When the job is done tie it off and then disappear.

Bounty Hunter: I have a contract, i will complete it. Not a word more not a blaster bolt less. I don't kill for fun, and i don't go after kids. Got a job, i'll take the money.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

MyDarkSunshine
10.25.2012 , 04:56 AM | #5
Most of my characters, from a role playing perspective, attempt take each situation as they come and act upon their (or my) morals. Usually this leads them to behave in the way one would expect from a Jedi (primarily play Jedi characters), however there are exceptions.

For one, such characters usually find both the Republic and the Jedi Order flawed, in some way or another, and they view neither as the absolute moral compass/ideology, but instead seek to use them as guidelines; accepting teachings they believe it worthy to strive for, but not those they disagree with. They are pro freedom, which isn't necessarily the freedom the Republic offers. It is because of this they might disagree with the Council, or a Senator's, decision and act in their own way, and it is because of this they might take black or grey routes if they believe it will benefit the greater good. For instance, during the Mandalorian Wars they probably would have disobeyed the Council and followed The Revanchist in his crusade, which ultimately would have led them to a tragic end.

They might even dabble in the darkside if needed to overcome adversity for a good cause, hopefully being able to walk the line and stay primarily light but with dark powers to call upon when needed; however it is just as possible they'd fall to the darkside, no matter how noble their goals.

They do not believe in generalizations; not all Sith are evil and must be destroyed, nor are all Jedi bastions of light. There is always a place for redemption, but if it causes greater risk then simply ending the threat can be viewed as acceptable.
"Who I am is not important- my message is." Revan

MasterMe
10.25.2012 , 06:23 AM | #6
This is the most interesting thread I've ever seen!

Well as far as ideology goes, I've got different morals and beliefs for different characters. I'll give you my main character's ideals:

Have you ever seen the movie titled Defiance? Probably not. My character is a lot like the main character there. He seeks to destroy the Sith, but he does not want to become like them. He believes that the ends often do justify the means, but he holds his morality in high regard. He believes that it is very important to defeat the Sith, but he longs to maintain a spiritual direction. He hates to see corruption, which is why he longs to keep himself in the light. Altough he is a Jedi, his views vary from theirs a bit.

As far as how he looks toward the Republic, I'd compare him to Braveheart (I'm just full of movie analogies lol). He fights for the Republic because of its people. He holds virtually no respect for the corrupt senators, and will often blatantly disobey them. This is something that makes him a very unpopular Jedi.

Altough he is a very moral man, once he is on the battlefield he is (once again) like Braveheart, meaning he's a beast.

Newyankalt
10.25.2012 , 07:50 AM | #7
Trooper: As a soldier of the republic I see it as my job to destroy the imperial threats without the galaxy even if it means a few innocents haft to die along the way. But in the long run those innocents that died will help save 1000s more with there sacrifice. I also think that we should just wipe out the empire but the senate and the Jedi would disagre and would rather debate and make peace.

Beniboybling
10.25.2012 , 01:24 PM | #8
My characters are normally dark side. But I like Kreia's teachings, I managed to dig up a few:

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself… and weaken them. It is the internal struggles, when fought and won on their own, that yield the strongest rewards. You stole that struggle from them, cheapened it. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles. And when they triumph, they will be even stronger for the victory."

"Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever."

"It is not the destination that matters—it is the journey."

"Take the greatest Jedi Knight, strip away the Force, and what remains? They rely on it, depend on it, more than they know. Watch as one tries to hold a blaster, as they try to hold a lightsaber, and you will see nothing more than a woman – or a man. A child."

"A culture's teachings, and most importantly, the nature of its people, achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves… or find themselves lacking."

"Apathy is death."

"It is such a quiet thing to fall... but far more terrible as to admit it."
(I especially like this one, people who do evil never actually think they are doing evil)

Macheath
10.25.2012 , 07:16 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
My characters are normally dark side. But I like Kreia's teachings...
Your character is dark side... AND you like Kreia's teachings. No need for a "but" in there. Kreia wasn't exactly preaching sunshine and rainbows.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

namoise
10.25.2012 , 09:23 PM | #10
I think that Revan had it figured out the best. The Jedi and Sith castrate themselves by only using half of the force