Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Updated with Answers: Free-to-Play Questions? Ask them in this thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Updated with Answers: Free-to-Play Questions? Ask them in this thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eraus's Avatar


Eraus
10.30.2012 , 12:32 PM | #161
What is the reason behind limiting the number of quickbars?

Journeyer's Avatar


Journeyer
10.30.2012 , 12:48 PM | #162
That is a megaton of information and questions answered and things made more clear. Thank you, BW, for the communication.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
10.30.2012 , 12:57 PM | #163
I'm a guild leader and want to know why you are having F2P have to purchase the guild bank access when that should be a guild leader and/or officers decision. If we decide to give someone access to our guild bank they shouldnt' have to buy the access for that. It seems you are limiting a guild choices on who can or can't have access to a guild bank and that doesn't sit well with me.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

MarkoJinn's Avatar


MarkoJinn
10.30.2012 , 01:01 PM | #164
If I remain subscribed will I have access to all items in the game via normal game progression? Let me give you an example of what I mean by this: Can a player who is not subscribed but spends $100 a month or store stuff be better equipped and geared than me? Are there items that can only be acquired through the store even though I'm a subscription customer? Are you basically making me spend more money by giving me, as a subscriber, the monthly amount of cartel coins that is simply not enough to keep up with the prices on the market?

The reason why I ask is because this is exactly what happened in LoTRO and it's the reason why I quit the game... I think this is what players commonly refer to as "pay to win" model. If for the sake of profits the subscribed customer becomes sort of 2nd grade citizen then such a game has no more appeal for me.
What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me.

MarkoJinn's Avatar


MarkoJinn
10.30.2012 , 01:12 PM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by ripster View Post
As a subscriber 99% of the game remains the same. The only immediately noticeable difference is going to be an orange glowing button for the Cartel Market. You will also see the amount of Cartel Coins you have in the currency tab of your inventory and there will be some inclusion of the Cartel Market in places like the Legacy screen when you choose to unlock a perk. You should be given some Cartel Coins at launch if you are still subscribed, and will get 500 (speculation) coins a month for every month you stay subscribed once F2P launches. You can also buy more coins and spend them however you want in the Cartel Market (or for various unlocks instead of credits if you have no interest in the Market items).
You see this is exactly what's wrong and it looks like it will be what makes me quit. If I am a subscriber I should be the maximum level of gameplay that can be reached via the cartel store. Instead you're going with LoTRO model where you give subscribers 500 coins each month which is not nearly enough for all the stuff that will be offered via the store. I know because I played LoTRO. From there on all you have to do is set the prices in such way that my 500 coins are nothing and you force me into spending more than $15 a month. Well it's not going to happen for me. I see enough of market cornering in real life to not have to watch it in virtual world.

What needs to happen is you cannot advance via store any more than you can advance via the subscription. That means that if a new type of mount is offered via the store it is automatically available to subscribers via some quest/title/whatever, in other words I don't get it for free but I can get it if I follow my story properly. If that is not the case then why am I subscribing at all? What is my incentive? To go into a cash spending competition with some Wall Street punk with limitless resources?
What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me.

Journeyer's Avatar


Journeyer
10.30.2012 , 01:44 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkoJinn View Post
You see this is exactly what's wrong and it looks like it will be what makes me quit. If I am a subscriber I should be the maximum level of gameplay that can be reached via the cartel store.?
Trick is, it's the same with Legacy, right? If you have a zillion creds, you buy every legacy perk on day one when you roll a toon. If you have a zillion dollars, you buy cartel cosmetic stuff. And if you're a subscriber, you get enough tokens to buy quite a few things up front, and you gain tokens every month. You save up and buy. Your argument about rich people buying everything only works if the Cartel shop was offering +45 stat crystals, etc. If the stuff in the shop was buy to gain an advantage, it'd be awful. This is just saving up and buying. Pay $15/month for a few months or pay $60 today.

Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
I'm a guild leader and want to know why you are having F2P have to purchase the guild bank access when that should be a guild leader and/or officers decision.
While I'm not BW, I can speculate on the disaster that they've got to avoid. Since expanded inventories are going to be a perk for subscribers/tokens, I could quickly see guilds being formed specifically to offer players a workaround. Silly, but I suppose they want to make sure that you can't fully-gear a F2P and give them an expanded inventory w/out collecting some Tokens, or else it would make the for-purchase perks meaningless.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

Artemys's Avatar


Artemys
10.30.2012 , 01:48 PM | #167
Please calrify on this:

AlixMV: if you're a Premium Subscriber with Legacy racial unlocks and revert to a Free Account, what will have precedence, the f2p restrictions or the Legacy unlocks?

Blaine: First off – if you change from being a subscriber to a Free-to-Play player, you will always go to Preferred status and will never become a Free Account, so you’ll have some features unlocked that you otherwise would not.

Then this is said

Ripster: There is a welcome screen that lists a benefit of subscribing as 10 additional slots. Will this mean subscribers will have 22 or that F2P will have 2?

Blaine: Great question and we want to make sure we’re clear on this one. Subscribers will still have 12 character slots available on a single server. F2P players will have 2 (as will Preferred). At Launch, we are not enforcing the penalty on subscribers who convert to Free-to-Play, but we will in a subsequent patch.
Check out myYoutube Channel Swtor for Storyline and PvP Videos!
Lexi'belle | Artemys | Marce
Sorcerer| Operative | Juggernaut
Free Character Transfer

ripster's Avatar


ripster
10.30.2012 , 01:59 PM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by Artemys View Post
Please calrify on this:

AlixMV: if you're a Premium Subscriber with Legacy racial unlocks and revert to a Free Account, what will have precedence, the f2p restrictions or the Legacy unlocks?

Blaine: First off – if you change from being a subscriber to a Free-to-Play player, you will always go to Preferred status and will never become a Free Account, so you’ll have some features unlocked that you otherwise would not.

Then this is said

Ripster: There is a welcome screen that lists a benefit of subscribing as 10 additional slots. Will this mean subscribers will have 22 or that F2P will have 2?

Blaine: Great question and we want to make sure we’re clear on this one. Subscribers will still have 12 character slots available on a single server. F2P players will have 2 (as will Preferred). At Launch, we are not enforcing the penalty on subscribers who convert to Free-to-Play, but we will in a subsequent patch.
To put it in terms that are used, there is Subscribing and Free-to-Play. Free-to-Play is then broken down to Preferred Status and Free Account. So, in the second question, when talking about reverting to F2P, it would be as a Preferred Status member.

ripster's Avatar


ripster
10.30.2012 , 02:07 PM | #169
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkoJinn View Post
You see this is exactly what's wrong and it looks like it will be what makes me quit. If I am a subscriber I should be the maximum level of gameplay that can be reached via the cartel store.
If there is not enough to chase after or have fun doing in game to justify $15 a month, what has kept you? If things get worse, then I'd quit too. However, Cash Shops happen in subscription games too. EQ2 had one long before they went F2P, EVE Online added one and even World of Warcraft has taken steps in that direction. I don't get the mentality that everything has to be attainable by everyone, especially when most of it is just recolored items already available. Most of this stuff would not even be bothered with if they were not selling it for cash.

Again, if they stop putting in regular content or rewards for subscribers (or don't do a better job of it), well that kind of problem also exists for games that don't have Free Accounts or Cash Shops.

Elear's Avatar


Elear
10.30.2012 , 07:18 PM | #170
From some F2P trailers I got message "play way you want", which for me meant that if you intend to play only certain part of game(for example pvp) with unlocks and weekly passes you should be able to do it just as fine as if you were subscriber.
Is this really how it's supposed to work, or did I make mistake in my interretation?