Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

smuggler story is bad

TalonVII
10.24.2012 , 04:07 PM | #21
It gives you a reason to go to Courscant. otherwise you go in, drop off some cargo, get back on your ship and leave and go do what you want.

It's a story device to move you along the story. I think it's a good one.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor

AlexDougherty
10.31.2012 , 10:55 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
I don't get it. Not having a ship (like all other classes) on the first two planets makes the whole story bad?

And how is Han Solo involved in the Old Republic?
He isn't he was used as an example of a smuggler, a few statements seem to mix up the Smuggler characters nad Solo though? A bad start doesn't automatically ruin a story, but the smuggler should have gotten more than one glimpse, maybe two or three, with at least one lingering on it while the smuggler briefly remarks on some of the scrapes it's been through.

Heimskringla
10.31.2012 , 12:37 PM | #23
I pretty much disagree with the OP. The Smuggler story is pretty good. The Smuggler having his ship stolen on Ord Mantell gives the Smuggler an initial conflict (with the person who stole the ship) and a goal (find the stolen ship).

It's the same with the lightsaber for Jedi and Sith characters. The point in the story on Tython when the JK gets a lightsaber felt like an accomplishment.

It was the same for the Sith Warrior; the way the Sith Warrior obtained his lightsaber felt like a very Sith achievement. The SI not so much.

If you want to see a bad story and atrocious dialogue, play the SI story past Act I. It is the single most unsatisfying story in the game.
- I spent $149.95 on a video game with no release date, and all I got was the key to the executive washroom.

JediMB
10.31.2012 , 04:19 PM | #24
Going after the guy who stole my ship was a whole lot more engaging than... well... pretty much the rest of Chapter 1. (Except the very end.)

Engaging short-term goals that can be finished in a planet or two are a lot more interesting than going from planet to planet to planet doing fetch quests that will eventually lead up to some more plot progression.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Bird_of_Thunder
10.31.2012 , 04:59 PM | #25
i disagree with the OP. the smuggler story was great, ESPECIALLY the intense moments chasing your ship. when you finally get it back, its soooo redeeming, similar to when
Spoiler

REDEMPTION AT LAST! the OP clearly hasn't played the rest of the story, because it was by far one of the better ones
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

RDeanOU
11.01.2012 , 06:46 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by simplius View Post
seriously?? have u ever SEEN a star wars movie?

no i didnt get far,,and u seem to forget the newbie planet

i know we get ships a t lvl 17, but it would have been FAR better, to simply not HAVE a ship from start

jedis dont start with a lightsaber either, it would have made SO much more sense,,both storywise

and in gameplay,,to go out and GET a ship , rather than getting a stolen ship back,,and no, han solo

would NOT have done it this way,,look at the remastered edition of ANH,,han actually provokes

jabba before takeoff,,,but here im supposed to just get on his trail and grind missions to get it back?

how many stolen cars disappear on earth,,and now imsupposed to find a single ship in the galaxy?

good luck with that,,no han would have :

gotten money for a bountyhunter

or a new ship, and try to chase the thief
For starters, let's address your seeming inability to count to 2.

You start on the "newbie" planet of Ord Mantell. ------ 1

Next, you travel to Coruscant and at the end of your class story on this planet you acquire your ship. ------ 2

There is no third planet in this equation. Surely you aren't counting the 10 minutes it takes to pick your advanced class on the fleet as a "planet" that you have to quest through? If not, then please enlighten us as to what the heck you are talking about.

Secondly, your central idea that it would have been better to go out and get a ship instead of tracking your old ship down makes absolutely no sense to me.

Let me put myself in Han Solo's shoes. Someone steals the Millennium Falcon (my pride and joy) and instead of tracking them down and getting my ship back you expect me to....go ship shopping? Kill some innocent Captain and steal their ship (which will never equal the one stolen from me anyway)? I don't understand. This makes absolutely zero sense.

I'm really glad the writers of this game aren't taking advice from you. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

spectreclees
11.01.2012 , 07:16 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Heimskringla View Post

If you want to see a bad story and atrocious dialogue, play the JC story.. It is the single most unsatisfying story in the game.
Fixed for you. I found this story to be far worse..

ScarletBlaze
11.01.2012 , 08:03 PM | #28
seriously?? have u ever SEEN a star wars movie?

no i didnt get far,,and u seem to forget the newbie planet

i know we get ships a t lvl 17, but it would have been FAR better, to simply not HAVE a ship from start

jedis dont start with a lightsaber either, it would have made SO much more sense,,both storywise

and in gameplay,,to go out and GET a ship , rather than getting a stolen ship back,,and no, han solo

would NOT have done it this way,,look at the remastered edition of ANH,,han actually provokes

jabba before takeoff,,,but here im supposed to just get on his trail and grind missions to get it back?

how many stolen cars disappear on earth,,and now imsupposed to find a single ship in the galaxy?

good luck with that,,no han would have :

gotten money for a bountyhunter

or a new ship, and try to chase the thief
One Comment if someone had stolen Han's ship, the Falcon, he would have torn the galaxy apart to get it back. There would have been no way he would have not searched for it. He would have searched for information to the person who took it and did everything he could have to figure out where that person had taken his ship and then went to the location where the thief was and searched for thief and got his ship back.

If Han didn't care about the Falcon, he would have let Jabba have it instead of having the bounty on his head. But he loved his ship.

(and yes I have seen all the movies and read most of the books)
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Heimskringla
11.11.2012 , 03:36 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
Fixed for you. I found this story to be far worse..
I wonder if they gave the SI and JC stories to the same writer or if the writers sat next to each other. The stories do seem a bit similar in terms of the rather uninspiring nature.

The "Force Mystic" stories, overall, seem to be the weakest in the game. They're probably some of the more challenging stories to write, and those stories were (inexplicably) given to inexperienced, or at least largely unpublished, writers instead of to the big name writers with serious credibility/ability.

My biggest gripe with the Inquisitor perhaps comes from my own ideas of what Palpatine's training would have been like to create the character we see in the prequels and later in the OT. I don't get that feel at all from the SI's story. The SI is the underdog/dumb kid who. despite not knowing his arse from a hole in the ground, is thrust into power with Zash behind him as a puppeteer of sorts. I loved the class mechanics, but I just couldn't deal with the story by the time I got to Voss.

Now that I've read Luceno's treatment of Darth Plageius I like Bioware's take on "the Palpatine story" even less.
- I spent $149.95 on a video game with no release date, and all I got was the key to the executive washroom.

AshlaBoga
11.11.2012 , 03:43 AM | #30
im a HUGE han solo fan so please be patient

a ground rule in games : NEVER give something to a player, and take it away again,

without them being able to do ANYTHING

here its "im a noob smuggler , so i FORGOT to secure my ship,,,bye bye ship"

and so i spend the next 3 planets , chasing "my" ship,,that i only saw a cutscene of

and that makes the EPIC moment , when i DO get it back feeling awkward too

going on board for the first time,,,on "my" old ship

and the story was right in front of them( no , not a sabacc game)

but a storyline , that actually involved GETTING A SHIP

getting some money for informations

using those informations to hack maintenance droids/whatever

and setting up an ambush to to get rid of the previous owner

but here , han just sighs, and says "too bad,,i guess, ill just grind missions , until i find one

involving my ship"
As a Han Solo fan I hereby revoke your right to call yourself a Han Solo fan. Han Solo would (and has) put his life on the line to keep his ship. Your disregard for your ship proves you are unfit to be a captain and will no longer be addressed as such.

P.S: 2 Planets to get your ship back, not 3.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption