Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Klarick
01.26.2013 , 06:33 PM | #551
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi all,

Thank you for the reports. Can you please post up your server, approximate location and ISP if you are having this problem?
Same answer. This is the problem with you peeps. It is NOT the peoples computer, and isn't their internet. It is on your side. How come people can play all of the other MMO's out there without problems?

The first step to recovery (improving) is recognizing you have a problem. And Bioware, you have a problem.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

jprife
01.27.2013 , 05:01 AM | #552
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Same answer. This is the problem with you peeps. It is NOT the peoples computer, and isn't their internet. It is on your side. How come people can play all of the other MMO's out there without problems?
Well, that's exactly right. When i was talking to my ISP tech the other day about this problem, he said point blank that he couldn't do Bioware's job for them and that they were being disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst by trying to pawn off the widespread latency problems to its customers' ISPs.

And yeah, last night after SWTOR lagged out on me, I went on to play another equally intensive MMORPG with NO problems.whatsoever. So what does that tell you?

OwenBrooks
01.27.2013 , 05:08 AM | #553
Quote: Originally Posted by jprife View Post
Well, that's exactly right. When i was talking to my ISP tech the other day about this problem, he said point blank that he couldn't do Bioware's job for them and that they were being disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst by trying to pawn off the widespread latency problems to its customers' ISPs.

And yeah, last night after SWTOR lagged out on me, I went on to play another equally intensive MMORPG with NO problems.whatsoever. So what does that tell you?
I get no lag in swtor and 30ms ping time but lag and disconnects in league of legends, what does that tell you ??

If you go the link below it has a picture of the internet, see if you can work out where the problem is.

http://blyon.com/blyon-cdn/opte/maps...2D.700x700.png

jprife
01.27.2013 , 05:18 AM | #554
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
I get no lag in swtor and 30ms ping time but lag and disconnects in league of legends, what does that tell you ??
That tells me that you're either a Bioware/EA employee assigned to track all the lag threads outside of CS, or else a company apologist since none of your solutions have worked and only added to the general frustration people are feeling.

OwenBrooks
01.27.2013 , 05:21 AM | #555
now that made me laugh

Have you trialed something like battleping to see if it helps in your instance ?

jprife
01.27.2013 , 05:38 AM | #556
Quote:
now that made me laugh
Well you sure spend an inordinate amount of time on the various lag/latency threads trying to advise folks. I guess you do it out of the goodness of your heart.

Quote:
Have you trialed something like battleping to see if it helps in your instance ?
Yes, I have tried that, as well as OpenDNS and the WoW Leatrix ACK registry fix. I've also been working very closely with my ISP tech to analyze my computer's network connection and my ISP's servers. Everything is fine on my end, as you know from above. That leaves Bioware/EA, which has shown no interest in helping fix the problem, based on the cookie cutter messages we get back followed by unilaterally closed tickets with no explanation, and then followed by a happy greeting from M0-T0. Do you find this acceptable?

Listen Owen, I don't have anything personal against you and appreciate that you're trying to help, but BW's continuing silence and seeming indifference on this very big game-breaking issue is frustrating in the extreme. When the game first launched, there were very similar lag issues, and in January of last year, a BW network engineer named James Baldwin (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=235633) got on and asked for info from the community. He has not been seen or heard from since. Why are we not hearing directly from a network engineer, to at least demonstrate that the company is taking the latency/lag problem seriously?

jprife
01.27.2013 , 05:51 AM | #557
Quote:
If you go the link below it has a picture of the internet, see if you can work out where the problem is.

http://blyon.com/blyon-cdn/opte/maps...2D.700x700.png
That's not my job...that's the job of BW's network engineers.

OwenBrooks
01.27.2013 , 06:00 AM | #558
I was involved with bringing the internet to the public back in 1992 out of the universities, now saying that I do have a little knowledge of what can occur on the internet between a client and server located in different locations.

There is no simple solution sometimes, you have obviously done your best to ensure nothing at your end is causing the issue and checked as much as possible. The ISP end and Biowares end is a very small link in the chain, can it be a server problem, it is possible, but is it is not the most likely cause, I have been on a server getting 30ms and yet another player was getting 400ms and was due to how we both got to the same server, there is a thread on here about this.

The problem with tracert etc are they may indicate some conditions, but there is one big limitation, and that is the reverse path is likely different, have a read of the below link from the university of washington, it provides general knowledge on the issues faced. Where one VPN may not help , another may simply due to taking a different path between you and the game servers and is likely your best place to test for a solution.

http://revtr.cs.washington.edu/FAQ.html

Smoothping is another VPN for example http://www.smoothping.com/ if your interested.

OwenBrooks
01.27.2013 , 06:06 AM | #559
Quote: Originally Posted by jprife View Post
That's not my job...that's the job of BW's network engineers.
This is where the misconception is, it actually isn't there job, they are happy to assist making sure it isn't your end or their end but the stuff in between is not their job. If once they do what they can to ensure neither of these are at fault there is nothing they can realistically do, same as your ISP is only responsible up till his last router to his network provider then it is beyond his control.

jprife
01.27.2013 , 06:11 AM | #560
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post

The problem with tracert etc are they may indicate some conditions, but there is one big limitation, and that is the reverse path is likely different,
Then why, oh why, does BW/EA customer service keep asking for this information in their cut-and-pasted messages, if it is is only of marginal value? The really maddening thing about all of this is that after we comply and send them the requested data, it seems to fall into a black hole and there is no follow-up, just silence. And in my most recent case, my ticket was unilaterally closed after I responded (very nicely) with my latest PathPing and Tracert, which I posted above (and you responded to). After I wrote back and complained about the ticket closure, I then got the canned response from M0-T0, which I also posted above.

Frustrating in the EXTREME.

When it works as advertised, I love this game and desperately want it to succeed. That's why I post as much as I do to try and get somebody's attention in Austin. But lately, I feel like I've just been wasting both my time and money and that BW/EA could care less. Am I wrong to think that, after all is said and done?