Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Projectiles and flamethrowers vs Jedi

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Projectiles and flamethrowers vs Jedi

Diablo_Cow
10.15.2012 , 12:01 PM | #21
A projectile whether it is a bullet, rocket, or even a rock are effective against lightsabers. The blade of a lightsabers is plasma. Plasma is super heated gas. That gas is contained by a force field (whether is it the force shaping the plasma or some other barrier is unknown to me). That means the plasma from blaster would be reflected due to the magnetic properties of plasma from the lightsaber. This means that of a bullet were to hit a lightsaber and it had no magnetic properties it would become either molten melt or super heated gas. Either one is extremely deadly to an unprotected person. In the best case scenario the Jedi would sustain 4th degree burns on a localized area along with the push from the momentum of the molten bullet. In the worst case the super heated gas will be breathed in by the Jedi, burning his/her lungs so badly oxygen cannot supplied to the body. The question of death by wound or death by lung searing is another debate in itself.

HellbirdIV
10.15.2012 , 12:55 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Diablo_Cow View Post
A projectile whether it is a bullet, rocket, or even a rock are effective against lightsabers.
Actually no.

We see several occasions in the lore of objects being thrown at lightsaber-wielding Jedi and Sith, only to promptly be struck aside. By your logic, when Luke cuts apart the metal crates Vader throws at him in Empire Strikes Back, he would be hit by molten metal - that never happens.

Most likely, if any matter survives vaporization upon contact with a lightsaber's extremely high energy yield, it would be harmlessly scattered by that same energy.

The danger a machinegun poses to a lightsaber is the exact same as that posed by a rapid-fire blaster. There's a reason only Jedi and Sith - people who are trained in the use of the Force - can viably use lightsabers to defend themselves.

YaanaOhtar
10.23.2012 , 09:59 AM | #23
You know; you guys seem to forget that Jedi and Sith do not deflect the blaster simply because they have good reflex, yes it could archive through some hard training, but they can do it because they use the Force. The ability to sense the danger and block it. They are not some Space samurai with good reflex, they can sense the danger.

Tyreen
10.23.2012 , 11:03 AM | #24
My own personal view is the whole dilemma is that this is the sad result of escalation as each author has sought to outdo the next in terms of Jedi 'godliness' on the battlefield. Myself? I have no qualms that a Jedi is a very dangerous opponent to face, but they are not gods. As has been mentioned before, Jedi do not master every power en masse. Any Jedi that does master every power would doubtless be the highest paragon of their time. Surely, if the Jedi were as mighty as EU authors make them out to be, we wouldn't have things such as the slaughter of Jedi on Geonosis.

Looking at the battle of Geonosis. I can't remember exact details but we have the Council member gunned down by Jango. We have a Geonosian sonic cannon that takes out two or three Jedi in one shot. We see the Jedi butchered, not by trained soldiers, but by mass-produced cannon fodder with rather dire targeting software. In Episode One, we find Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan pinned down by a pair of Destroyer droids. I'm assuming they can't advance because of the rate of fire. They certainly couldn't force leap, nor use the force to simply crush them. No, as Qui-Gon says, "It's a stand off.", and then they promptly withdraw.

I personally think, and I know it will never happen, that authors and fans need to tone down on just how powerful and godly Jedi really are. Yes, the force is a powerful ally, but it doesn't turn Jedi into unstoppable avatars of war that require multiple squads of elite soldiers with high-end gatling cannons to bring down. It gives them an advantage, yes. It makes them dangerous, yes. It doesn't and shouldn't make them virtually unstoppable.
"Mandalorians...cretinous savages. Let's push these so-called warriors to the galactic rim and then step on their fingers one at a time until the void takes them."

YaanaOhtar
10.24.2012 , 03:51 AM | #25
That's depend. Vader were able to choke s.o between 2 Destroyers just by looking through the monitor. So depend on how powerful the jedi/sith in question is. In the battle field it's harder for jedi and sith to defend themselves since there are multi threat sources, remember they have to depend on force sense a lot as in KOTOR state : " cut our the force you see a child a woman ", specially against cannon - well sith can just abandon their troops but i dont think jedi will - the lightsaber is not just energy sword, it's fused with the force that the jedi/sith use, if the jedi/sith strong enough they can deflect the cannon shot easily.

TheBetty
10.24.2012 , 09:40 PM | #26
Projectile weapons I'd imagine would have the same effect on a Jedi or Sith as someone throwing something at them. By just pushing it back or guiding it away with the force. Obviously bullets & rockets are moving a lot faster which is where the precognition used to block and deflect blaster bolts would come in. The Emporer throwing Senate seats at Yoda comes to mind, when he catches one and throws it back
If force choking Jawas is wrong, I don't want to be right.