Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Back after 9 months off. Dps meters yet?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Back after 9 months off. Dps meters yet?

Slappywhite
10.11.2012 , 04:17 AM | #21
Well if you're back, couldn't you just, say, log in and see?

hages
10.11.2012 , 04:26 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by recsa View Post
As you can clearly see in this thread, most of the long term raiders left the game, casuals dont use to like DPS/HPS/Threat meters.
this is crap...and pure lies. I raid every week 3 times and i am in a progression guild. we do not need those damm meters. teh players who liked easy time addons from wow like games has left yes!
nothings as good as an cold cold beer...and swtor to play drunk

NinjaApacHe
10.11.2012 , 04:39 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by recsa View Post
As you can clearly see in this thread, most of the long term raiders left the game, casuals dont use to like DPS/HPS/Threat meters.
Fortunately, I would add. Long term raiders the way you mean, ruin the games.
The Kun Legacy - ToFN
TU'PAKH 60 SW/Mar - YACHIN 60 SI/Sin - A'SHARADD 60 SW/Jug- KAASDAR 60 IA/Op
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/NJDcyp

Dirtnose
10.11.2012 , 04:59 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by hages View Post
dps meters are not needed...we do not want this to become a second wow
The game already is a second WoW. To answer your question there are still no DPS meters. The game is missing a lot of nice little features like that.

Kalfear
10.11.2012 , 05:04 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by jedip_enguin View Post
Why on earth would you use dps meters while soloing?
Why on earth would anyone need a DPS meter for TOR?

Ive done the PVP
Ive done the OPS storymode
Ive done the ops hardmode (excluding EC but its coming)

You dont need a DPS Meter to understand where it went wrong and what area is responsible!
And you dont need a dps meter to know if your pumping out enough dps or not

And as for nightmare mode.
I dont see groups that dont regularly play togather doing nightmare so thats also a non issue!

Anything under that is so simple that if someone needs a dps meter to understand where something went wrong.
Id be looking at the entire group, not just any single person(s).
Hardmode flashpoints arnt that hardmode really
Storymode flashpoints even easier
Heroics are even easier then storymode
and anything under that is soloable (heck many of the 2 and 4 man heroics soloable with companion)

Of all the games Ive seen through out my 21 years in MMORPGs,
This game is the least of the list for needing a working dps meter!
In regards to lessening F2P and Preferred restrictions
In GAMING, as in LIFE,
You get what you pay for
No game restriction is so dire that $15.00/month will not eliminate it

hages
10.11.2012 , 05:09 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post

Ive done the PVP

You dont need a DPS Meter to understand where it went wrong and what area is responsible!

I dont see groups that dont regularly play togather doing nightmare so thats also a non issue!

Anything under that is so simple that if someone needs a dps meter to understand where something went wrong.
and anything under that is soloable (heck many of the 2 and 4 man heroics soloable with companion)

I could not agree more.

Vankris
10.11.2012 , 05:19 AM | #27
i'm more or less ok with things are right now.

I do not fear meters, i know i am doing a decent job (i analysed log after raid and compare with my guild's friend). If they are in game, i'm ok, if they aren't, we'll do without. It's good enough for us to all upload our log to a third party website and analyse it after the raid.

The only thing, the only thing i would like them to do, is raid wide combat log, or at very least an option on the preference menu to broadcast your combat log to other player in the raid, so that sharing still remain voluntary. It sometimes is a hassle to combined 8 or 16 logs, some people forget to turn on their combat log or disconnect and get their combat log truncated, some people does not know how to find and upload their log and some players don't want to even bother (not saying they are bad player, they just can't be bothered).

So broadcasting your info and you get 1 or 2 person willing to make the upload, that'd much better. i think that solution would just satisfy everyone, or nearly everyone.
Shadow | Kinetic Combat

hages
10.11.2012 , 05:23 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Vankris View Post
i'm more or less ok with things are right now.

I do not fear meters, i know i am doing a decent job (i analysed log after raid and compare with my guild's friend). If they are in game, i'm ok, if they aren't, we'll do without. It's good enough for us to all upload our log to a third party website and analyse it after the raid.

The only thing, the only thing i would like them to do, is raid wide combat log, or at very least an option on the preference menu to broadcast your combat log to other player in the raid, so that sharing still remain voluntary. It sometimes is a hassle to combined 8 or 16 logs, some people forget to turn on their combat log or disconnect and get their combat log truncated, some people does not know how to find and upload their log and some players don't want to even bother (not saying they are bad player, they just can't be bothered).

So broadcasting your info and you get 1 or 2 person willing to make the upload, that'd much better. i think that solution would just satisfy everyone, or nearly everyone.
A conbat log is not the same as a dps meter. Like u stated it is no issue for me. U can see alot more then just dps numbers and it is free of use. but a dps add on is smtg else. But really u must admid that the game is doing fine without and theire are far more important things to be changed then a meter....

Kanjir
10.11.2012 , 05:50 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post

Ive done the PVP

Maybe when you start doing content which requires 8/16 players that need to be somewhat coordinated then you will see why you need to make sure people are pulling their weight. I don't see any reason not to use a dps parser such as mox while you raid unless your worried that you aren't pulling what you should be, unless of course you are playing the game on a casual basis. Those aiming for progression and farming endgame content nearly always use parsers. It's a tool to compare yourself to others and then work on improving, also it's useful to analyse mechanics and then work out a more effective way to clear specific content. I'm all about using everything and every opportunity to improve.

It may just come down to a different interpretation of fun, but personally I only find it fun when I know im pulling my weight as a dps and am able to see where I need to improve. Then again, I respect that many may call my play-style "elitist".

Leovinus
10.11.2012 , 06:00 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Kanjir View Post
Maybe when you start doing content which requires 8/16 players that need to be somewhat coordinated then you will see why you need to make sure people are pulling their weight. I don't see any reason not to use a dps parser such as mox while you raid unless your worried that you aren't pulling what you should be, unless of course you are playing the game on a casual basis. Those aiming for progression and farming endgame content nearly always use parsers. It's a tool to compare yourself to others and then work on improving, also it's useful to analyse mechanics and then work out a more effective way to clear specific content. I'm all about using everything and every opportunity to improve.

It may just come down to a different interpretation of fun, but personally I only find it fun when I know im pulling my weight as a dps and am able to see where I need to improve. Then again, I respect that many may call my play-style "elitist".
Not really. My raid team is currently progressing through TFB HM (we've spent all of an hour, maybe 1.5, in there so far, due to some RL stuff and we killed the first boss). They dabbled in using a 3rd party parser, but ultimately realized that having the realtime parsing stuff going on was detrimental. It's so easy to just focus on that and forget that you need to do other stuff too, like control aggro and deal with other fight conditions that might decrease your personal dps.

So, no, progression raiders do not "nearly always" use parsers. They're simply not necessary. Do they make things a bit easier. Sure, I guess so. Are they even remotely close to necessary? Nope, and I hope they never are, because that's when the fun gets sucked out of the game.