Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HauksbokT
11.08.2012 , 09:09 PM | #951
Quote: Originally Posted by Setsugetsuka View Post
Because people are *********** idiots, it's that base.
Look, if people go to the server, that means there'll be people there, right? Instead, people just want to go to the US server instead of sticking together as a community. No wonder APAC is falling apart, majority are just whiners who won't do anything to fix the problem and would rather bail. Pathetic.
You're obviously not on master dar'nala.

You're also kidding yourself if you think f2p is gonna bring a whole **** load of people in that are gonna stick it out till end game.

Forget pvp during the day time, it doesn't happen, and if it does, it's an hour between Q's.

At night time, it's okay, 10 mins maybe in between Q's, sometimes worse and sometimes better, why would I degrade someones playing experience by saying yeah lol MDN is a good server, stick around? I'm not gonna go out of my way to ward people off, but I sure as **** would not endorse it to anyone.

Sorry but, I tried to stick it out on MDN as long as possible, through the frustrations, and half of my guild unsubbing due to ****** Q times.

I'll gladly come back to oceanic servers once a merge happens, until then not gonna pay to wait in Q.

Snorlaxo
11.08.2012 , 09:33 PM | #952
How about for the week f2p launches, everyone come and play their APAC characters to push the populations up while f2p players are choosing. Then we get a higher influx of people.

Its annoying to see people saying f2p isn't going to help and then go out of their way to make sure it doesn't help, just to be right. Warning people off the servers means f2pers will go on US servers. How likely are they going to transfer ( with no transfer system currently active) and why would they, if we let them make a legacy and friends on US servers. That makes them less inclined to move to APAC in the event of a consolidation.

f2p is a gamble we know is coming. We can do something to help it. We can promote APAC and make the best of the situation.
Let's not try and sabortage that chance in the hope that we can force Bioware into doing something that we think is right.
Its trading one gameble for another.
(█∭∭∭∭██(o)█Ξ█|/[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

HauksbokT
11.08.2012 , 09:39 PM | #953
Quote: Originally Posted by Snorlaxo View Post
How about for the week f2p launches, everyone come and play their APAC characters to push the populations up while f2p players are choosing. Then we get a higher influx of people.

Its annoying to see people saying f2p isn't going to help and then go out of their way to make sure it doesn't help, just to be right. Warning people off the servers means f2pers will go on US servers. How likely are they going to transfer ( with no transfer system currently active) and why would they, if we let them make a legacy and friends on US servers. That makes them less inclined to move to APAC in the event of a consolidation.

f2p is a gamble we know is coming. We can do something to help it. We can promote APAC and make the best of the situation.
Let's not try and sabortage that chance in the hope that we can force Bioware into doing something that we think is right.
Its trading one gameble for another.
Oh yeah, cool, let's pay another 15 bucks for another month to sit in Q and wait for these f2p players to get 50, most of them RQ'ing before then, the other half not paying a cent to get any kind of good items for them to get destroyed in recruit gear as soon as they hit 50, so that half RQ's too.

Great idea, does it come in mens at all?

Snorlaxo
11.08.2012 , 09:57 PM | #954
Quote: Originally Posted by HauksbokT View Post
Oh yeah, cool, let's pay another 15 bucks for another month to sit in Q and wait for these f2p players to get 50, most of them RQ'ing before then, the other half not paying a cent to get any kind of good items for them to get destroyed in recruit gear as soon as they hit 50, so that half RQ's too.

Great idea, does it come in mens at all?
Roll an alt. The game is designed for it. The volume of other low levels characters leveling at the same time is going to be good for you. If that 15 bucks hurts so much then play for free till others get to 50.

Also, if others did follow the plan then the waits wouldn't be so long.

I don't understand how you're trying to make me seem juvenile by whining at me.
(█∭∭∭∭██(o)█Ξ█|/[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

laz_AU
11.08.2012 , 09:59 PM | #955
I know we are all a bit pissed due to the current situation but lets try and remain civil and not turn on each other - the point of this thread is to let BW know that we aren't happy and that something needs to be done. Of course there are going to be thoughts on what people think should be done and people are going to disagree but there is no need (nor any point) in yelling and namecalling. With that said...

I know this is long and most people will scroll past it but try hear me out.

I would ask people not to turn potential ftp players away from the APAC servers. As we have all hypothesised it probably wont result in huge rises in level 50 players however it will have an effect. I personally hope that it will at least serve to replace the players that have/are going to re-roll on US servers. If this happens, the populations will still be low but at least salvageable in BW's eyes and worth saving by merging the servers.

My fear is that if we turn people away from our servers, the problem will get worse as people continue to leave, re-roll or transfer (btw we are in big trouble if transfers are allowed). In a few months after the ftp surge dissipates when BW decide to look at the populations, they may very well decide that the small population that's left is not worth the effort then close the servers and force us onto US servers. So effectively we miss out on low latency and relevant server times.

Also it should be noted that ftp players have significant restrictions when it comes to warzones anyway so rolling on US servers will probably be of minimal benefit and they will have to deal worth high latency which degrades the experience.

Right now the state of APAC is in a delicate place. We are heading towards not being worth it for BW and if people continue to re-roll/leave/transfer it will only worsen the situation. On the other hand, if we can at least maintain the population levels with a tiny bit of help of ftp, we can convince them that we are worth the effort.

As an aside, I have personally tee'd up a group of mates and we are all excited to play when ftp is available (great timing as exams are just finishing)
Leader of Nocturnal | Impaled on The Harbinger (Ex-APAC)

The Custos Legacy
Riku - Sage Healer
Excubitor - Focus Sentinel
Equiti - Vanguard Tank/DPS

laz_AU
11.08.2012 , 10:13 PM | #956
Quote: Originally Posted by scullzomben View Post
What I dont think you understand is that Bioware will not just simply out of the blue one day come out and say "All three servers are going to be stopped. Back to US you go". That just simply will not happen.
I'm sorry but i really don't understand why you don't believe this is a potential outcome. These are some reasons that i think BW would have for closing the APAC servers if the population is too low:
  • The population is low. Yes we will lose some players but then again a lot will cop the transfer and deal with it
  • We are practically the only company trying to make APAC servers work; plenty of other APAC players play other games such as wow on US servers quite happily therefore many APAC players are used to and will deal with higher latency
  • Running 3 overseas servers requires a heap of resources and thus money. No servers = no costs (this also relates to the first point; eliminating costs with a fairly minimal effect on profits is very appealing)
  • Some APAC players are re-rolling or begging to be transferred to US servers. If it saves us money anyway, why aren't we doing it?

I'm not a "doomsdayer"; I'm just logically theorising what they would be thinking with the point being we need to try convince them that we are worth the effort and that merging the servers will have a greater overall positive effect than closing them
Leader of Nocturnal | Impaled on The Harbinger (Ex-APAC)

The Custos Legacy
Riku - Sage Healer
Excubitor - Focus Sentinel
Equiti - Vanguard Tank/DPS

Froippi
11.08.2012 , 10:34 PM | #957
this why mmos company normally don't add oceanic servers cause to them its not worth the cost this is just my opinion though

Erishumlol
11.08.2012 , 10:45 PM | #958
Quote: Originally Posted by Froippi View Post
this why mmos company normally don't add oceanic servers cause to them its not worth the cost this is just my opinion though

I think the only reason we got lucky with having our own servers is because EA already had servers here, I could be wrong though.
Hulkgg - Marauder

Froippi
11.09.2012 , 12:33 AM | #959
Quote: Originally Posted by Erishumlol View Post
I think the only reason we got lucky with having our own servers is because EA already had servers here, I could be wrong though.
you could be quite right i don't have info

oakamp
11.09.2012 , 01:56 AM | #960
Quote: Originally Posted by Erishumlol View Post
we have local EA vendor,
but EA doesn't even want to sell us swtor.
English is not my first language, still working on it.