Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Karasuko
12.20.2012 , 11:22 PM | #1551
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
But the fact EA is a business the above statement is true they need the numbers and one server alone is not commercially viable. The only long term hope is the population increases on at least 2 of the APAC servers or maybe they are happy with them and just monitoring at present. but calling for a server merge to one server is a nail in the coffin from a business perspective. Like i said if you want to believe one server is going to be viable as opposed to centralizing with the other servers by all means you have your right to believe that.
Got some numbers to back up your theory?
And If it is an issue keep all 3 open and disallow char creation there? I still dont understand how runnign 3 servers is cheaper than running 1.

OwenBrooks
12.20.2012 , 11:22 PM | #1552
The only other point I will raise is that we are more fortunate in actually having APAC servers, we should be counting our blessings that we currently have them. Calling for a reduction is not the wisest course of action.

OwenBrooks
12.20.2012 , 11:23 PM | #1553
Quote: Originally Posted by Karasuko View Post
Got some numbers to back up your theory?
And If it is an issue keep all 3 open and disallow char creation there? I still dont understand how runnign 3 servers is cheaper than running 1.
Mate you are missing the point, obviously I can't explain this too you so I hope someone else can.
I ran a business for 12 years prior to joining the military and I can see this clearly.

Karasuko
12.20.2012 , 11:24 PM | #1554
The only other point I will raise is that we are more fortunate in actually having APAC servers, we should be counting our blessings that we currently have them. Calling for a reduction is not the wisest course of action.
Actually EA should be glad they did it, not like they made no money out of doing it. Sure as hell wasn't out of the kindness of their black little hearts.

scullzomben
12.20.2012 , 11:31 PM | #1555
I can't seem to find that post can you provide a link where they are working on australian servers ?
I can find posts of people asking for them but nothing else.
Any link that I could post you would not be able to view anyway. By about june/july next year though . However, this is going off topic.

Simple fact is, it is more economical to run ONE thriving server than 3 dead servers. Even more so when you condense unhappy people from three servers on to one, where they will be happy.

Karasuko
12.20.2012 , 11:34 PM | #1556
Mate you are missing the point, obviously I can't explain this too you so I hope someone else can.
I ran a business for 12 years prior to joining the military and I can see this clearly.
And yet 1 is less than 3,
1/3 the operating costs.
3x the population.
3x the pull, less people quitting cause they can't find a group or a queue, more people to do group quests with so they're more likely to stick. more people to make friends with encouraging people to stick around.

I didn't need to run a buisness for 12 years to see this.

OwenBrooks
12.20.2012 , 11:38 PM | #1557
My view on the recent US server merges was that it was purely from a money perspective, they do not look at the odd post from players and say you know what lets spend an extra say $ 50,000.00 (plucked figure) supporting extra servers. They will think can we save money by reducing servers but it appears they have reduced too far and this is why you see so many issues there after the server consolidation, or EA has told Bioware to reduce to remain profitable.

The fact they are not even saying anything about the australian servers at all is not a good sign, and the more you stick your hand up and say hello i'm not happy is flagging it for them to look at.

If you think they don't monitor and evaluate profits from the APAC servers as a business then i never will.

Edit - Like I said calling for a reduction is not the wisest course of action, people playing other MMO are asking for them and we currently have them. If reducing 2 of the APAC servers was going to save them money they would of jumped at the chance, the fact they haven't over all this time you have been asking means they are thinking something else. An we likely won't like it and I hope i am wrong.

Scorpiooooo
12.21.2012 , 12:32 AM | #1558
Consolidation is not the same as a reduction - we are asking for a merger of the servers.
You should note the importance of this, because it's about validating Bioware's initial decision to spend money on initiating APAC servers through keeping a sustainable population and inciting future growth through interest in the game and community. This in turn promotes sales and increases subscriptions. It's also key to their marketing efforts wherein they can say to their shareholders that active players on the APAC servers increased, along with subscriptions and money spent on the cartel market by FTP gamers.

This only happens if there is a thriving population - which is not possible on three dead servers, but is on 1 super-server. As proven in the US!

My view on the recent US server merges was that it was purely from a money perspective, they do not look at the odd post from players and say you know what lets spend an extra say $ 50,000.00 (plucked figure) supporting extra servers. They will think can we save money by reducing servers but it appears they have reduced too far and this is why you see so many issues there after the server consolidation, or EA has told Bioware to reduce to remain profitable.
What issues in particular are you referring to post server consolidation? Aside from the odd bug or mess up, that has been game wide and isn't in relation to the specifics of merging the servers.

If anything the server consolidation has drawn praise from the community at large. Just look at the numbers of people playing on Harbinger and Bastion as examples. The game, whilst taking a hit in subscriptions since launch (another issue altogether, to do with end-game material and MMO vs RPG) is still turning a profit. If it wasn't, the company wouldn't be investing in an expansion.

The APAC Community are leaving to start new characters ON these super-servers because Bioware refuse to merge our own.

The fact they are not even saying anything about the australian servers at all is not a good sign, and the more you stick your hand up and say hello i'm not happy is flagging it for them to look at.
That's what this thread is about and has been about - we are offering Bioware, not just an opportunity to communicate with the people who are directly affected, but options on exactly what is going to fix this issue.

A server merge and or free transfers.

We all think we see this clearly, that's why we're so passionate about this. Don't assume that you are the only one that has/does run a business. The average age of the gamer is 33 years old, most of us are hard workers. That's my key issue with the APAC servers - I can only play at certain times, there's never enough people on to do anything other than sit in fleet and spend hours waiting and hoping for a pop.

Finally, whatever our differences in opinion here, thank you for serving (no sarcasm I actually mean that. I have lots of family/friends that serve, you have my respect).
Quote: Originally Posted by Clarian View Post
Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.

OwenBrooks
12.21.2012 , 12:45 AM | #1559
Guys believe what you like, i am going back to playing and enjoying the game on the APAC servers.
EA/Bioware will make their decisions as a business this is likely not going to change the outcome they decide on.

They will be monitoring server numbers, they will be looking at their profits, they will be looking at the best solution to maximise their profits. Do they need to tell you how they run their business ? It comes out at the end of every financial year go look.

And Thank You Scorpiooooo
I am off on a family holiday tommorow havn't had one of those for a long time.
MTFBWU
Merry Xmas and have a Happy New Year

Snorlaxo
12.21.2012 , 12:55 AM | #1560
bump because there was max 4 people in my play through of Taris on MDN.
(█∭∭∭∭██(o)█Ξ█|/[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)