Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will day ever end, will the weather ever change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will day ever end, will the weather ever change?

Arkerus
09.10.2012 , 08:57 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Anti_Bodies View Post
I think day/night/weather would be worth the amount of effort put in. It would breath fresh air into the planets.
Please expand on this feature would draw more people in and create more revenue for the game. Please also expand on how this could be implemented considering the class stories are a certain point in time.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Eillack
09.10.2012 , 09:14 AM | #22
Like the many other threads about this that have been going around for a long time, each planet is a moment in time.

The stories that take place on each world is in an X moment in "our" story. I honestly think we should have day/night cycles like most MMO's (SWG for example), but in a small way I understand why it's like the way it is.

Plus if we have night, how the hell are we going to be able to see in some regions of X planets? BW will need ot place a ton of lights, etc everywhere.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

TUXs
09.10.2012 , 10:04 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Like the many other threads about this that have been going around for a long time, each planet is a moment in time.

The stories that take place on each world is in an X moment in "our" story. I honestly think we should have day/night cycles like most MMO's (SWG for example), but in a small way I understand why it's like the way it is.

Plus if we have night, how the hell are we going to be able to see in some regions of X planets? BW will need ot place a ton of lights, etc everywhere.
Bioware forgot they were designing an MMO, where it's supposed to be about OUR story, not theirs.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

BJWyler
09.10.2012 , 10:16 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post
In addition, it may have allowed for having different questing missions available at night, a sort of alternate side quest leveling path.
This to some degree. Perhaps for some people having weather or day/night cycles makes a game more engaging. For me, however, I see it as a waste of resources unless it has some profound impact in the world. I personally would rather time and resources be spent on making more playable content then making the sky go dark or putting little pixilated rain on the screen.

However, allowing for the weather to create an impact on the environment does have its drawbacks. Namely, it will restrict what you can do in the game at any particular time. Logging in to complete a quest that can only be done in the daytime? Sorry, come back in an hour or two when the sun rises and the NPCs/Mobs reach their daytime positions. What's that? You only have an hour to play today ... well I guess you are SOL then.

While having these things in game may make for a more "living, breathing world" I would much rather play in a world where what I do and how I do it is based on my time and method of playing, and not on some arbitrary code.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

Scritchy
09.10.2012 , 10:35 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
This to some degree. Perhaps for some people having weather or day/night cycles makes a game more engaging. For me, however, I see it as a waste of resources unless it has some profound impact in the world. I personally would rather time and resources be spent on making more playable content then making the sky go dark or putting little pixilated rain on the screen.
One of the criticisms about this game is how sterile it is, the worlds have no life. They look like the background paintings in the Original Trilogy, that is how lifeless they are. Day/Night cycles and rain would have helped add that life. Even in the movies you see different weather conditions, whether it is a drizzling rain or a downpour, a dust storm, or a blizzard. Even George understood that weather helps set a mood.

Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
While having these things in game may make for a more "living, breathing world" I would much rather play in a world where what I do and how I do it is based on my time and method of playing, and not on some arbitrary code.
The only effect I have ever seen weather have in a game is setting the mood and visibility. It adds atmosphere (which this game severely lacks). Now day/night cycles could impact some quests, but EQ/EQ2 used a 2hr 24mins for a full 24hr cycle, which means 1 hour and 12 mins if you were completely off. I don't know if that would be a bad thing for trying to make such a sterile environment have some sort of life.

Spatology
09.10.2012 , 11:13 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Scritchy View Post
One of the criticisms about this game is how sterile it is, the worlds have no life. They look like the background paintings in the Original Trilogy, that is how lifeless they are. Day/Night cycles and rain would have helped add that life. Even in the movies you see different weather conditions, whether it is a drizzling rain or a downpour, a dust storm, or a blizzard. Even George understood that weather helps set a mood.

The only effect I have ever seen weather have in a game is setting the mood and visibility. It adds atmosphere (which this game severely lacks). Now day/night cycles could impact some quests, but EQ/EQ2 used a 2hr 24mins for a full 24hr cycle, which means 1 hour and 12 mins if you were completely off. I don't know if that would be a bad thing for trying to make such a sterile environment have some sort of life.
I prefer not having issues with weather causeing lag or visibility issues. I also don't want to have to run around on Taris at night, this is a very scary thought for me personally.

The game has plenty of atmosphere, try speaking to other people and doing stuff with others. EQ1/2 where very much a "go off and have your own adventure questing in the world" type games. The game moved faster if you grinded exp with friends, but you also had the ability to go kite mobs around or just explore. I'm personally done with all that nonsense.

Exilim
09.10.2012 , 11:20 AM | #27
The sandstorms on Tatooine were not that great, please stop with this. People moaned about the random laggy rain in swg all the time now it's people's fond memories. Please give me a break.
I believe in people bombing
I believe in people warring
I believe diseases coming
I believe that's why I'm running

bahdasz
09.10.2012 , 11:25 AM | #28
Yeah I can see this now, people will end up having to change their graphics settings to reduce lag caused by environmental issues and then complain when they have stuck in the air rain and featureless distances... again.

Night/day cycle didn't seem to make SWG lag much, but if your machine was just cutting it you got screwed when it rained hard or got stuck in a sand storm.

Blackavaar
09.10.2012 , 11:39 AM | #29
Well, first of all, the devs said that they purposely avoided weather and day-night cycles so they could go all out with the art for the planets. They didn't want changing shadows and environmental effects to mess up the look they were going for for each world.

Secondly, even if they did do this, not only is it not easy, it's not as easy as it is with other games either because they have to do it separately for each individual world. The day-night cycle on Tatooine can't be the same as the day-night cycle on Koriban. Also, they would have to take the planets' individual rotations and orbits into account. For instance, Drommund Kaas is in a geosynchronous orbit with it's sun. They would have to find a way to exempt that world from all day-night changes in order to do it right.

Now imagine trying to do weather and whatnot and have everything timed differently and set differently for every single place in the game. This would be a tremendous undertaking and it is not likely to happen.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Scritchy
09.10.2012 , 11:57 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Exilim View Post
The sandstorms on Tatooine were not that great, please stop with this. People moaned about the random laggy rain in swg all the time now it's people's fond memories. Please give me a break.
I wasn't talking about SWG. That game's weather system had problems, other games have done it properly.