Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will day ever end, will the weather ever change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will day ever end, will the weather ever change?

SikrouDeco
09.09.2012 , 07:48 PM | #1
Simple question, any idea? Will the game always be as it is, and the weather, hour etc never change? Not being snarky, I just really wonder, if the devs ever adressed this, and what they said. It can't be hard, even lotro has day and night lol
"I have a bad feeling about this.." Member since 2008

Cakellene
09.09.2012 , 08:30 PM | #2
Doubt it, and personally I hope it doesn't (for performance issues).
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

Talimar
09.09.2012 , 08:32 PM | #3
No.

I love it when people say "It can't be hard". You have any idea what goes into making it like that? Clearly not. Just because another game does it does not make it easy. It has to be planned that way from the start. Shadows are baked into the textures in this game, and while I haven't played lotro, I bet they are not baked in that game. This is a time consuming process and would require a huge effort to change.

Chlomamf
09.09.2012 , 08:35 PM | #4
For some reason when I'm on planets late at night, the planet gets darker...

I have no idea if it does get darker the later you're on, or if it is just my eyes needing some sleep :P

Talimar
09.09.2012 , 08:40 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Chlomamf View Post
For some reason when I'm on planets late at night, the planet gets darker...

I have no idea if it does get darker the later you're on, or if it is just my eyes needing some sleep :P
Some places on planets are deliberatly darker. And sleep depravation helps

MaceSW
09.09.2012 , 08:47 PM | #6
Are you kiddin'?!?

Such great features as seen in some of the early mmo's of the era, like swg or everquest or wow etc youll never see again....

Slowly i get a picture what they did with that tens or probably hundreds of millions dollar to develop this game,
they scrolled them dollars, weed in' and smoke em'. Others were seen as toilet paper rolls for the steamy pile of sh... over there at the dev team tagged to the development of space combat! Sandbox elements to give players something to do beside the dull boarding of an hated space station and one actu....cough... operation since april, well screw that, we just do it like wow-makers did, they are milkin' the cashcow and every child can go to a college of choice, put it all a bit spacey and everything will work for our stupid stockholders, errr wrong.

And now, 90% of the dev team probably had been gone, you cant expect anything else then cashmilking a ****store with pointless stuff like pets and mounts and ponies, nais

Evensong
09.09.2012 , 08:48 PM | #7
I hated night time in LOTRO LOL. To be honest it does not bother me in this game... we can have all this mini-stars for all day light... energy saver /grin
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

DPCummerbund
09.09.2012 , 09:07 PM | #8
I agree. It's the first thing I'd like BW to change. Well, I'd like them to give us the ability to hide companion's helms first. And fix the glowy companion lightsaber issue too. But those are more bugs than "changes".

My main is now at level 48. I have several alts ranging from 10 to 30ish, and I'm wondering what to play next after I get to 50, but I'm finding myself to be less than excited about it. Honestly, I'm starting to lose a little of the affection I've had for this game because of the lighting & lack of weather & day/night cycles. If the worlds themselves were more fun to be in, I'd be much more willing to play them over and over again, just to run around and look at cool stuff like in LOTRO.

I know this game is a theme park and not a sandbox, but if the theme park was more visually stimulating & fun to run around in, I'd spend more time there, even if I'm riding the same rides over and over again.
"Have you seen what the Sith are wearing? It's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went over to the Dark Side." - Kira Carsen
"You there! I'm drafting you into the Imperial Reclamation Service's... service." - Lieutenant Whist

xorcist
09.09.2012 , 09:08 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
No.

I love it when people say "It can't be hard". You have any idea what goes into making it like that? Clearly not. Just because another game does it does not make it easy. It has to be planned that way from the start. Shadows are baked into the textures in this game, and while I haven't played lotro, I bet they are not baked in that game. This is a time consuming process and would require a huge effort to change.
"Shadows baked into the textures" is a nice way of putting it. For performance sake this game does not render proper light and shade. Thanks to the inferior game engine. So just about all the lighting and shadows in the environment is faked. You wont find a single silhouette anywhere.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

arunav
09.09.2012 , 09:17 PM | #10
It would have made sense to have day/night cycles, but for some reason they opted out of putting them in. There is probably a decent reason, in addition to engine limitations - for example, you cannot be outside on Hoth at night according to the films. On the other hand, it would have made the planets more engaging and visually appealing. Taris would have been really spooky at night. In addition, it may have allowed for having different questing missions available at night, a sort of alternate side quest leveling path.

I wouldn't expect any changes on this going forward. We can hope for improvements and additions to TOR, but, until their finances turn around, the game is what it is. If you were EA, would you sink more money into something so expensive to begin with that basically flopped, according to expectations, especially when your company isn't doing well?

I wish George Lucas would pour some money into further development for TOR. He can certainly afford to, and, if the game were more fully realized, they could potentially make a ton of money in the cash shop and pull in many more subscribed players off of the renewed interest. Hire experienced MMO developers, give them the resources they need to add more depth to the game, and watch the product grow.

Star Wars has generally been a very profitable gamble in the past. TOR still has a lot of potential, but someone has to pay for it. I'm not optimistic on the latter really happening, though.