Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Writer's Rant Thread

irishfino
09.05.2012 , 07:38 PM | #1
Has writing gotten you down?
Is the story not flowing how it should be?
Is the story not letting you write it?
Is writing a stupid son of a bi- *cough*

Rant here! Encourage others!

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway): Follow the forum guidelines and be nice to each other.

I'll start us off with a quick rant:

Damn it, story, you keep going off on an entirely different path than I had planned. Sometimes, I think I let you have too much free reign...

I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with my written works. I think that comes with the territory though. Ugh, I've already started going through and editing Ninety Seven Percent and I'm no where near done with that story.

*humph*

Edit:

And I found a typo. Stupid fingers...
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Vesaniae
09.05.2012 , 07:51 PM | #2
Recreational ranting is one of my favorite pastimes! I will gladly participate in this venture!

Okay... *clears throat*

"Afterimages", you're great and I love you, but sometimes you're a pain! Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to force a round peg of idea through a square hole of that part of my brain that controls motor functions such as typing. I look at the outline and anticipate chapters...then I get to those chapters, and it's like NOPE.JPG.

Why can't I think of a plot for Arc 3? I have the major events, but I need something to lead up to those events! I can't just have an ending! There has to be more! I'm sure that something will come to me as I go through Arc 2 but right now my outline is full of holes surrounding the climactic chapters and it's driving me crazy!

And you! Yes, you! You know who you are! You're those other ideas, the ones that float around in my head and keep me from concentrating on "Afterimages". Yet whenever I sit down and try to write you, I draw a blank. WHY? Damn it, "Switching Places", I'd love to write you, and you keep occupying my brainspace, but you get so very horribly dark... I don't know if I could make myself write some of that stuff. I don't want to shock people. Of course, they might like it. You never know. Hell, it's probably not even really that dark. Compared to all the other stuff I've ever written ever, though...

I tell myself, "No starting anything new until I'm done with "Afterimages!"" And so far it's worked. But "Afterimages" might have a sequel, and then what am I going to do?

No, there's no "might". There will be a sequel. There will be a sequel and it will have its own thread and it will be glorious. GLORIOUS, I TELL YOU.

Once "Afterimages" is done. Then, and only then, will I consider you, "Switching Places." And once I give you a snazzier title. Maybe something Latin. I like Latin. Or something poetic. I like poetic. Poetic would be easier than Latin.

*huff* *puff* Wow, I feel better now. Time to go write the next chapter of "Afterimages", then.
Serence Legacy Ebon Hawk
There's always lightning.

Morgani
09.05.2012 , 07:52 PM | #3
I could use a little ranting...

Damn it, words. Why U so hard? I know you're in there, bouncing around my head like crack addled gerbils. When I'm in the shower, or falling asleep, or sitting with Nana (in other words, no where near the computer) you eloquently creep into my head and give me ideas for great stories and little scenes. You sound so nice and I know other people would want to read you.

But you go away the minute I sit before the keyboard, diet coke at my elbow, my kitties snoozing on the futon next to me. I have the general idea you left behind, but the pretty prose, the stunning scenery, the wrenching emotion leaks out behind your sneaky exit. Where do you go? Did you pop off for a drink at the pub? (Are there pubs in my neighborhood?) Did you get called on to babysit the dictionary? Just once I want you to stick around so I can get you down. I just want to share and let the madness out of my head so it doesn't itch so bad.

I resent the words I have to replace you with. They never quite sound the same. They get the job done, but it's like going to the community theater rather than the opera. Entertainment is entertainment, its just not as pretty.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

iamthehoyden
09.05.2012 , 08:04 PM | #4
Ranting is good for the soul.

All these unfinished stories in my files are not!! Argh, how am I ever going to write anything decent if I can't FINISH anything decent?!? I get grand huge ideas, interesting characters, nifty plot twists, all whirling around in my head and then I sit down and get stuck in world building and research and more research and how on earth am I ever going to write a believable villian with believable details when I have NO idea how one goes about even getting a fake ID??? And I'm sure as I do research on how one goes about getting a fake ID that the FBI or the CIA or some clandestine black ops organization is taking detailed notes. I'm doomed.

Maybe I'll be able to focus in prison.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

imnotawitch
09.05.2012 , 08:08 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgani View Post
I could use a little ranting...

Damn it, words. Why U so hard? I know you're in there, bouncing around my head like crack addled gerbils. When I'm in the shower, or falling asleep, or sitting with Nana (in other words, no where near the computer) you eloquently creep into my head and give me ideas for great stories and little scenes. You sound so nice and I know other people would want to read you.

But you go away the minute I sit before the keyboard, diet coke at my elbow, my kitties snoozing on the futon next to me. I have the general idea you left behind, but the pretty prose, the stunning scenery, the wrenching emotion leaks out behind your sneaky exit. Where do you go? Did you pop off for a drink at the pub? (Are there pubs in my neighborhood?) Did you get called on to babysit the dictionary? Just once I want you to stick around so I can get you down. I just want to share and let the madness out of my head so it doesn't itch so bad.

I resent the words I have to replace you with. They never quite sound the same. They get the job done, but it's like going to the community theater rather than the opera. Entertainment is entertainment, its just not as pretty.
Are you me? The exact same thing happens to me all the time. I think of such lovely phrases when I'm falling asleep with my Siamese mix pillow. (Just one of the many services that particular cat offers.) Sometimes I wonder if the ideas fall out of my head and get lost in her fur.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."- George Carlin
*Forever Shenanigans*

Earthmama
09.05.2012 , 08:42 PM | #6
Toooo many characters!!!!!!! Ties that Bind was just supposed to have 4 lead characters like the first Force of Wills..What happened?? My brain is so confused and crowded right now.....

kalenath
09.05.2012 , 08:47 PM | #7
Love...

The Force...

And Everything...

I HATE YOU!

So many days of blood, sweat and tears and you simply refuse to end!

I WILL NOT ALLOW IT!

ONE MORE NEW THREAD! Only one more! Then I will be done!

Oh... Wait... the epilogue... *cries*
My stories in order:
Love, the Force, and Everything Discussion thread here

elliotcat
09.05.2012 , 09:40 PM | #8
I am so sleepy from school! Organic chemistry, analytical chem and calculus 2 are a lot of work. I hope I still have time to write...it really helps me recharge.

Also, I really really wish that I didn't second-guess my work so much. Oh well - I think we all do that.

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"[/SIZE]

Earthmama
09.06.2012 , 09:29 AM | #9
Thanks story, thanks, for going in this whole different direction.....

Klannad
09.06.2012 , 10:34 AM | #10
*small rant* NOBODY COMMENTS. BUT EVERYONE AT LEAST CLICKS. IN OTHER WORDS, NO FEEDBACK. *Takes pizza and leaves*